1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPN: Collins Cancels Green Bay Visit

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Hostile, May 19, 2004.

1. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    Wednesday, May 19, 2004

By Len Pasquarelli
    ESPN.com

Free agent quarterback Kerry Collins has canceled his two-day visit with Green Bay executives and, while the Packers still would like to meet with him, there is no guarantee the former New York Giants starter will reschedule.

Collins

Collins had been slated to arrive in Green Bay on Tuesday and to meet with coach Mike Sherman and other key club executives through much of Wednesday, but then suddenly begged off. It was not immediately known if Collins is close to a deal with another team, simply decided the Packers are not a good fit, or had a timing conflict.

Stalled in their attempts to acquire Tim Couch, and still eager to upgrade the backup quarterback situation, the Packers were eager to gauge Collins' interest in becoming the understudy to Brett Favre. Collins had earlier rebuffed overtures from the Packers.

Released by the Giants on April 28, four days after New York acquired Eli Manning, the top overall choice in the 2004 draft, Collins met with Oakland Raiders officials last week.

But as Couch and others have found, the market for veteran quarterbacks is soft, even for those with a resume as complete as the one Collins has constructed. Outside of the spot that Collins abandoned when he declined to restructure his contract with the Giants, there are no starting jobs.

As was the case with his visit in Oakland, the meeting with Packers officials was expected to be a get-acquainted session, one in which both sides determined if there is sufficient interest to move forward. Collins has been a starter his entire NFL career, coming off the bench just six times in 123 appearances, and it is difficult for some players to move into the backup mentality.

While the Raiders remain interested in Collins, their ardor may have waned a bit after having determined his financial desires. It is not known if Collins, 31, has any others visits planned.

The Packers have been courting Couch for more than a month but have been unable to reach a contract accord that would precede a trade for him. They also visited last week with free agent Damon Huard, a seven-year veteran who spent the past three seasons in New England and hasn't thrown a pass in a regular-season game since 2000.

Couch is reluctant to sign a deal that would keep him on the bench, behind Favre, for more than a year. There has been no progress on the Couch front for at least two weeks now and, according to agent Tom Condon there is "nothing, zero" happening in talks.

Green Bay recently re-signed journeyman Doug Pederson, 36, and he currently holds down the No. 2 spot on the depth chart. Youngster Craig Nall, who played well in the NFL Europe League last spring and is being given every chance to seize the primary backup spot, has yet to take advantage of that opportunity.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer for ESPN.com
  2. Wimbo

Wimbo Active Member

4,133 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Why do I smell Jerry Jones on this?

2 possibilities.
    a) JJ has been talking to KC's agent about giving Kerry equal opportunity to win the starter roll from QC. Thus, Kerry's interest in being a Favre backup has waned.
    b) JJ has talked to GB about a trade for McKenzie that includes Hutch or Carter (they have looked at Huard, afterall).

Of course, I may just need to clean my upper lip.
  3. Hostile

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    On point "B," unless I am mistaken it was Collins who changed sails, not Green Bay. That would seem to indicate that this might be off for a different reason.

Now could it be point "A?" I tend to think it isn't. Simply because when he first came available we were in the driver's seat to be the team wit the inside track. I don't think much has changed since then. So why would we drastically reverse field now all of the sudden.

If it turns out you are right on "A" I for one will be pretty happy.

I have a feeling San Francisco is the team in the mix that has changed his tune. Oakland is a possibility too. Just don't think it is Dallas at this point.
  4. Mike 1967

Mike 1967 New Member

2,771 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I would disagree. I think quite a bit has changed.

I think that Collins contract expectations have been severely deflated.....and I would not be surprised if this was a major roadblock on initial discussions between the two groups.
  5. Hostile

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    I don't doubt the demands might be lower. I contend we would not even know because we didn't even inquire about him before. They just flat out said "Thanks, not interested."

One of the Dallas beat writers, forget who, said that Collins would disrupt the plans to move Henson up the ladder as quickly as possible. I really think the Franchise is putting a lot of hopes in the kid.
  6. Wimbo

Wimbo Active Member

4,133 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    That's what I was thinking. Kerry's ego has been knocked down a few notches, as the market he was expecting wasn't there. If Green Bay was his best option until today, he would have known it was to be a Favre backup/insurance policy, which would pay accordingly. If a possible starting option came up - especially one in a system he is familiar with and a coach he has played for - I think he would want to consider it... even at less money than he originally wanted.
  7. Mike 1967

Mike 1967 New Member

2,771 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I also have doubts about Dallas interest in Collins.

I was not able to get a read on Parcells and Jerry's interest. All I got a read on was the fact that Peyton had a lot of interest.....but I could not get a feel on what the position of the decision makers was.

If I had to guess....I would say that Parcells had/has not interest in this option...but that Jones would have been interested in pulling the trigger.
  8. cowheel

cowheel New Member

517 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    get it done GB.
  9. Wimbo

Wimbo Active Member

4,133 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Even if he didn't come in for a visit, I believe Steven Jones knew what kind of contract his agent was pimping for. I would guess that every FO in the league knew the stakes within hours.

I do think this is far-fetched, but hey... not much news right now! At least it is something to ponder. :)
  10. Jimz31

Jimz31 The Sarcastic One

14,232 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    How about C. No Dallas interest in Collins whatsoever.

I wouldn't be disappointed at all if he did come here, however, I guess I've just had it up to here with the "Dallas could be interested in [insert name here]." anytime a QB is mentioned.
  11. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,367 Messages
    1,399 Likes Received
    San Fran could be involved here but the 9rs have zero cap. They can't even afford to sign there own draft picks right now. I don't know how they would get it done if they were to make this move. I still think Oakland fits in here. I think before it's all said and done, the other shoe will drop and it just might be a silver and black biker boot with Norv's name all over it.
  12. Hostile

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    Maybe you're right. None of us know even though I am sure a lot of definitive statements will be made.

I would not hate it Wimbo. I think we need help at QB still.
  13. Hostile

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    That is the option I think is probably the right one. I too wouldn't hate it. I said once before if he is better than just the 3rd string guy bring him in and 86 the 3rd string guy.
  14. BadKarma

BadKarma Active Member

1,067 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    As unlikely as it is, I would not be surprised if Collins ends up here and Vinny ending up in NYG. I know, I know, its not going to happen, but then again, crazier things have happened. Either JJ or Al Davis might be doing some things behind the curtains.

We'll know here in about 3 weeks. Let the craziness begin! :D
  15. Hostile

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    I do think Vinny will end up in NY with the Giants. I still think Warner might end up in Dallas. Like you said, I know, I know, it's not going to happen.