1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPN: Cowboys might sign a quarterback

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, Nov 26, 2011.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,130 Messages
    1,348 Likes Received
    Cowboys might sign a quarterback
    November, 25, 2011
    By Calvin Watkins

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4687354/cowboys-looking-to-sign-quarterback

IRVING, Texas -- According to multiple sources, the Cowboys are interesting in signing a quarterback if veteran backup Jon Kitna's back injury doesn't improve.

Kitna has endured back issues for parts of the season but has been inactive with the injury the past two weeks. The last time Kitna played in a game, he took a knee to close out the victory over the Buffalo Bills on Nov. 13.

Stephen McGee has been Tony Romo's backup with Kitna unavailable.

Cowboys officials don't have plans to work out any quarterbacks Friday, but there is a chance if the team places Kitna on injured reserve, ending his season, a new quarterback would be signed.

Kitna, 39, in the final year of his contract and might retire after this season...
  2. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    If they put Kitna on IR I'd prefer if they try to steal someone off a PS to churn the roster. There are only five games left in the season now so if Romo has a major injury there is little chance for him to come back in time for the playoffs. Of course, we are unlikely to make the playoffs without him.

Based on the list of available players I'd probably rather go with McGee to see what we have in him if Romo is injured. There is only so much you can learn about a player in practice.

OTOH, if they think McGee can't backup for even a half-game or so we need to release McGee now and try to steal a developmental QB off someone's roster in addition to finding a vet QB for backup duties.
  3. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,557 Messages
    984 Likes Received
    After we couldn't get Orton, the PS route really is where we are at. However, I think we might use the spot for another position if there is someone we like a lot more than Rudy Carpenter (or whoever). If we IR Kitna, McGee is going to be taking all the backup practice snaps as he really needs every rep. That 3rd QB isn't likely to dress on game day, so we might take a chance without one
  4. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received

It's about time that McGee is the backup if Romo is injured. So what Dallas needs is a 3rd stringer to back up McGee should he become the starter.
  5. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,398 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Well it certainly seems like an indictment on McGee and what the team thinks of him.
  6. Meat-O-Rama

Meat-O-Rama Vegetarians are so stupid.

2,257 Messages
    46 Likes Received
    My initial thought was that Dallas made a claim on Orton to keep him from the Bears, but now it really seems like they are in the market for a Qb.
  7. JeffInDC

JeffInDC Well-Known Member

1,004 Messages
    64 Likes Received
    David Garrard anyone?
  8. Sitting Bull

Sitting Bull Active Member

1,433 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    There aren't many playoff teams (not so fast, Philly) that could continue a Super Bowl run if their star QB went down. If McGee wasn't capable of stepping into the backup role out of camp, then he should've been released. I think he is our best bet. Get him reps and contingency-plan an offense that suits him. Going after Orton was a smart move. He's got game and would've been an upgrade over a healthy Kitna. Digging up Garrard or Trent Edwards isn't, IMO.
  9. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,907 Messages
    2,727 Likes Received
    Brett Favre?

:D

My agenda showing?
  10. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    I thought Edwards went to the Texans, but maybe it was someone else... And he's awful anyway.

I've always liked Garrard, but I thought I read he still was having back issues.

I'd just let McGee play. The guy's made steady improvement since he got here. I think he'd actually be decent playing with our real players and not the scrubs he has to direct in preseason.
  11. ThreeandOut

ThreeandOut Well-Known Member

1,806 Messages
    155 Likes Received
    I've found some of the reported potential moves that the Cowboys have had in recent months around the backup QB position to be very interesting. First was their reported interest in Andy Dalton during the draft. Then there was the recent waiver claim on Orton. It seems that they think the backup QB position warrants an upgrade and they are not convinced that McGee is the guy. It's not going to surprise me at all if they draft a QB in the 2nd/3rd round range next year.
  12. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

9,063 Messages
    470 Likes Received
    McGee is probably as good as anyone out there right now.

QB's don't grow on trees.

There's nothing out there unless we're looking to sign a #3 QB to backup McGee.
  13. FLcowboy

FLcowboy Hopeful this is the year Zone Supporter

3,684 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Releasing McGee at this point wouldn't be very smart, given the amount of time it would take his replacement to get up to speed. I'd like to know how Kitna hurt his back sitting on the bench. Was the clipboard too heavy?
  14. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    It's probably just old age - he is almost 40 and his body has had a lot of abuse.

Everyone thinks Aikman retired because of the concussions but my understanding is that he was having major back issues towards the end, too.

QBs do take hellacious shots. It wouldn't take too much back irritation to make it impossible for him to play QB.

Kitna is basically done. He was going to retire at year's end anyway.

As to the McGee issue all I was implying is that if McGee can't be Romo's primary backup right now after 3 seasons in the league there is no reason to keep him on the roster at all. Just get rid of him and steal a guy off someone's PS to backup the vet you pick up off of the street.