ESPN: Cowboys' secondary revamp won't happen all at once

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by jobberone, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Pants

Pants Well-Known Member

561 Messages
    662 Likes Received
    start the rookies, baptism by fire is fine with me...if so, the second half of the season will look pretty spiffy back there

JBond and Trouty like this.
  2. fredp22

fredp22 Well-Known Member

621 Messages
    689 Likes Received
    I havent seen anybody comment that "they dont know how we will get by" over our losses in the secondary. If fact I've seen the opposite where people seem more excited about our additions than the people they replaced. While it may take them a year to gel the saving in cap space and uptick in talent could turn this injury prone, average, overpaid group into a strength with youth. The draft was strong in that area and I applaud the Cowboys for picking this time to address it.
    I dont agree with the article- I feel the DL is more of a question and will see more changes (as in new people) than the secondary.

Trouty likes this.
  3. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

67,999 Messages
    24,446 Likes Received
    Next few years? I don't think that is the plan at all.

4. LocimusPrime

LocimusPrime Well-Known Member

10,087 Messages
    23,610 Likes Received
    Most reasonable members don't seriously expect .......:hammer:

Deep_Freeze, Bullflop and Trouty like this.
  5. LocimusPrime

10,087 Messages
    23,610 Likes Received
    That's a tough trio!

Bullflop and Trouty like this.
  6. LocimusPrime

10,087 Messages
    23,610 Likes Received
  7. Irvin88_4life

Irvin88_4life Well-Known Member

7,291 Messages
    6,260 Likes Received
    1. Scandrick
    2. Brown
    3. Carroll
    4. Awuzie
    5. Lewis
    6. White

I see no reason why we can't keep them all

Deep_Freeze, Trouty and jobberone like this.
  8. jobberone

jobberone Kane Ala Staff Member

49,976 Messages
    13,339 Likes Received
    Brain fart or spell checker I guess. Should be Woods although injuries will pick one of those is my guess.

That may be the right numbers although we're both likely to be a tad wrong due to injury which we have none. But the core for us both are the same so us two geniuses are on top of it.

Trouty and stasheroo like this.
  9. jobberone

49,976 Messages
    13,339 Likes Received
    You may be right. It's just a numbers game. Take an extra here and it's one fewer somewhere else though.

10. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

14,917 Messages
    5,337 Likes Received
    If Scandrick is healthy and he and Brown start, I really don't see any drop-off. In fact, a healthy Scandrick is better than Carr or Claiborne. So really the question at corner will be whether Carr/Claiborne, Brown and Scandrick is better nickel combo than Scandrick, Brown and Carroll/Awusie/Lewis.

Then there's safety, where the immediate fate will depend on Heath. Heath shouldn't really need any adjustment time so the question with him will be whether he is as good or better than Church was.

There are definitely questions with this group, but because of the veterans, and I'm including Brown in that group, I don't think it will take them long to come together ... unless Scandrick just isn't the same and Heath is a poor starter, in which case we'll have to rely on the rookies even if they are not fully ready yet.

FuzzyLumpkins, Bullflop and jobberone like this.
  11. StarBoyz83

StarBoyz83 Well-Known Member

9,914 Messages
    4,509 Likes Received
    Not buying that offense until I see it do something. They were trash last season.

Trouty likes this.
  12. gimmesix

14,917 Messages
    5,337 Likes Received
    Late-round players get cut all the time. I don't see White making it. I've got Scandrick, Brown, Carroll, Awusie and Lewis at corner and Jones, Heath, Woods, Frazier and Blanton at safety.

Blanton has starting experience and is very good on special teams. White will have to prove he is better on special teams than one of the bottom two safeties to earn a spot.

Bullflop, Trouty and jobberone like this.
  13. jobberone

49,976 Messages
    13,339 Likes Received
    I'm not worried unless we lose vets. Rookies get burned. I think some of these guys will make some plays, too.

14. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

31,891 Messages
    16,575 Likes Received
    :thumbup:

15. Hardline

Hardline Well-Known Member

4,588 Messages
    4,747 Likes Received
    I would feel more comfortable with these rookie defensive backs if this defense had a pass rush.

jobberone likes this.
  16. gimmesix

14,917 Messages
    5,337 Likes Received
    A lot of that had to do with Eli and the line, and the Giants really didn't fix the line. Eli was sacked only 21 times last year but a lot of that had to do with the Giant's quick-passing scheme.

Bullflop likes this.
  17. jobberone

49,976 Messages
    13,339 Likes Received
    Blanton is the wild card there now, too, IMO as well. He could surprise. People, and I'm trying not to include myself, are writing off Frazier, Blanton, and even Showers over Woods. I have to admit I'm excited over the depth of this team. We haven't had this kind of depth in a long time even though I might be wrong about some of the rookies.

Look at WR; TE, OL for sure. LB even. We have depth at DL just no edge rusher for now. This is a talented roster IMO. Another reason I think we win the East. Only places I'm worried is backup C, maybe swing tackle....not much, and backup QB. And I think those are adequately covered.

18. jobberone

49,976 Messages
    13,339 Likes Received
    Huge key! That and takeaways for this defense. We should have ball control although I think they should open that up a tad for certain games and teams.

Bullflop likes this.
  19. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

31,891 Messages
    16,575 Likes Received
    That's cool. We'll see.

I've seen nor heard anything to indicate Blanton is a factor.

And his one year deal vs White's 4-year rookie contract is a big strike against him, as is Awuzie's versatility to play safety.

Until I hear otherwise, Blanton is a non-factor for me.

StylisticS, Bullflop and Trouty like this.
  20. gimmesix

14,917 Messages
    5,337 Likes Received
    I'll admit that I don't have much hope for Showers. Tough transition.

Bullflop likes this.