1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPN: Cowboys set rules for Dez Bryant... Love It!

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by wittenacious, Aug 26, 2012.

1. wittenacious

wittenacious Active Member

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Cowboys set rules for Dez Bryant
    By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com | Updated: August 26, 2012, 2:00 AM ET

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant has agreed to strict guidelines from team officials regarding his conduct away from the field.

The guidelines Bryant agreed to took effect Aug. 23 when the team returned to Dallas after three weeks of training camp in California, according to sources.

Sources say some of the rules Bryant must abide are as follows:
    • A midnight curfew. If he's going to miss curfew, team officials must know in advance;
    • No drinking alcohol.
    • He can't attend any strip clubs and can only attend nightclubs if they are approved by the team and he has a security team with him.
    • He must attend counseling sessions twice a week.
    • A rotating three-man security team will leave one man with Bryant at all times.
    • Members of the security team will drive Bryant to practices, games and team functions.

Bryant's adviser, David Wells, will hire the security team for the wide receiver.

"Oh yeah, very much willing to do anything he can to help himself and help the team," Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones said of Bryant. "He's very open-minded and cooperative. He's doing the right things by his teammates and everybody is counting on him."

Read more: http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story...here-strict-team-mandated-guidelines-behavior
  2. mooseq

mooseq Member

145 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Love it!! I would live to have security with at all times. Haha
  3. proline

proline Active Member

1,377 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    So what are the consequences if he violates any of these?
  4. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,357 Messages
    1,342 Likes Received
    If he agreed to them, then this can only be a good thing.
  5. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,717 Messages
    5,248 Likes Received
    Yes. It's a good thing that one of our best players has to be treated like a child.
  6. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,357 Messages
    1,342 Likes Received
    I realize you don't get it. You don't need to remind me of it often. And I'd say they want him to act like a man.
  7. Risen Star

19,717 Messages
    5,248 Likes Received
    I do get it. It's pathetic that you would have to treat a grown man this way. This shows the team sees this as a major issue and has no trust whatsoever in his ability to act like a responsible adult.
  8. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,489 Messages
    166 Likes Received
    If you treat a man like a kid he will continue to act like a kid. I have a feeling that this will end badly. :mad:
  9. BluMen

BluMen Member

51 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Really? Why the negativity? You call him grown only by his age? Why can't it be that he realizes his short comings and understands that he needs extra support? By now you have read the reports about his up bringing so given that where was he supposed to learn how to be a grown man?
  10. TheRat

TheRat The Silly Willy

1,868 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    I agree these guidelines have become necessary, but still... those guidelines are pretty ridiculous. How incompetent must a person be that it would come down to this? The guy can't function in normal society at this point.
  11. Risen Star

19,717 Messages
    5,248 Likes Received
    You don't see it as a positive that the team won't let Bryant unattended at any time?

You're not getting it, bro.
  12. CM Duck

CM Duck I'm breaking the 4th wall...

999 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I see this as the Cowboys and Dez know he is a "target" for bad things happening. These rules and security team are ways of protecting him from these things. I wish they woulda had these rules in place for Irvin back in the 90s, lol.
  13. Risen Star

19,717 Messages
    5,248 Likes Received
    Michael didn't have these issues until success spoiled him. If Dez wants to win us three Super Bowls I'll look the other way while he stabs a few teammates with scissors.
  14. Howardlittleton64

Howardlittleton64 Benched

664 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I have to agree. It doesn't say a whole lot about Dez's maturity and honestly it is demeaning.
  15. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,168 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    Hopefully his security team does a better job then the one Pacman had.

I think this type of guidance is exactly what Dez needs. He is clearly immature and needs a push in the right direction. Maybe having rules like this in place will save him from himself until he is able to develop into the person he wants to be. Im sure having a guy like Novacek to lean out will help as well.
  16. 8FOR!3

8FOR!3 Active Member

1,274 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    I'm sure the way he was raised at 23 years old with his maturity level, he basically is like a kid. It's hard to call him a grown man. The Cowboys are taking the right steps to help him mature to that next level. I don't blame Dez himself necessarily, as long as he's willing to do whatever it takes to get to where he needs to be.
  17. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

11,803 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    No what it shows is the Cowboys are trying to help him, as well as take action. So Roger does not have to.
  18. Cowboy_Shawn

Cowboy_Shawn Active Member

548 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    Remember how well this worked out with Pacman Jones?

Me too.

Some people just can't help themselves and will always find ways to get into trouble. No matter how much you try to babysit them.

I believe Dez falls into that category and it's only a matter of time before he's in the news again.
  19. Aikbach

Aikbach Active Member

9,601 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Why does anyone love this? A grown man is too childish to act like an adult and has to be handled like a child.
  20. nablives

nablives New Member

541 Messages
    0 Likes Received

That's how I feel. The fact that they have assessed the situation and determined this is the appropriate course of action, really bothers me. A grown man should not have to be treated this way, and if he does, it simply feels like the inevitable is simply being postponed.

Remember when Pacman was restricted by the Cowboys? That turned out great. :(