1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

ESPN: Cowboys should use Beasley more

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by JPostSam, Mar 16, 2013.

1. CopenhagenCowboy

CopenhagenCowboy Active Member

921 Messages
    88 Likes Received
    Yup, let's see what he brings this year. I like the WR group. Just add a true vertical threat and let them compete.
  2. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,716 Messages
    1,397 Likes Received
    Can Harris be the #2? that is my question....Miles can't seem to keep his hammies stretched out so if/when Austin goes down, can Harris carry the #2 load?

Beasley is a good enough slot guy and has earned a look this year...I still can see Coale pushing him back and the competition might be a good thing...time will tell....

...I can also see Hanna getting more snaps when they send out two TE's in passing plays....he could essentially be a slot guy...
  3. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

10,947 Messages
    415 Likes Received
    Harris is better i'd rather see him get more playing time
  4. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,705 Messages
    3,925 Likes Received
    Beasley will get some snaps as will Harris. My guess would be they can both run certain routes better than the other. But the proof is in the pudding. Whoever makes the most plays will begin to get the most snaps. Harris will go into camp as the 3 but he will have to earn it.

There's always a player or two to surprise in camp at some position. Perhaps one is not yet on the team. It's too early to make any bets. I do suspect Beasley will make the team barring injury.
  5. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,692 Messages
    1,121 Likes Received
    There are people who want to use a 1st round pick on 5-8 174 Tavon Austin and yet Cole Beasley is too small? I would never want to gamble a high pick on a tiny guy but if you can get one as a udfa and they show they can play then play them.
  6. jason54858

jason54858 Gloomy Sunday

2,121 Messages
    147 Likes Received
    Yeah, I see your point. Austin ran a 4.3 40 at this years combine while Beasley ran a 4.5 at his pro day last year. Austin is fast and quick while Beasley is quick but not very fast. Austin is the obvious superior athlete.
  7. fairviewfarmer

fairviewfarmer Member

337 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    We already had the "real" Amendola and we didn't keep him and use him so what does that say?:D
  8. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,497 Messages
    406 Likes Received

and quit
  9. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,692 Messages
    1,121 Likes Received
    He actually left them.
  10. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    I don't see Harris as a slot guy. To me, he seems more of an outside deep threat. You can move Austin into the slot and play Harris outside, but I think Beasley is a squirmier little slot type.
  11. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,347 Messages
    2,162 Likes Received
    I love Harris. I am curious as to whether he can succeed on the outside at all.

He is 5'10" 200 lbs but his arms are kinda short. I wonder how well he can beat the press.
  12. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,926 Messages
    2,153 Likes Received
    Harris is a slot guy.

He did line up a lot on the outside this season and that helps his overall value top have versatilty. No doubt, they can play himon th eoutside when needed...some fohis better pays this year came when lined up out there. But his speed is average and he's not really a deep threat.

I still say he reminds me of Hines Ward at times.
  13. Erik_H

Erik_H Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun. Zone Supporter

2,445 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    I think Harris will get his shot this upcoming season. I'm hoing he'll be good enough to be able to fill in at the 2 in Dez or Austin go down for some games.

I'm also curious to see if Danny Coale can show anything.
  14. DFWJC

22,926 Messages
    2,153 Likes Received
    i-phone is killing me.

How do you speak with a lisp on the internet?
  15. Yuma Cactus

Yuma Cactus Active Member

701 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    He made catch after catch in team drills from Tony, Kyle and Stephen on 3rd down.
  16. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,314 Messages
    1,208 Likes Received
    Wes Welker an Danny Amendola both had 0 catches their first year in the NFL, so Beasley is ahead of the pace.

It takes time for most wide receivers to adjust to the NFL. It took Welker and Amendola time and it will take Beasley time. Just saying they should use Beasley more doesn't mean Beasley is ready to be used more. Heck, the guy was ready to quit football before training camp last season. It is a wonder he even caught one pass last season.
  17. Nation

Nation Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,432 Messages
    921 Likes Received
    I'm not too worried about his little training camp breakdown. I don't expect 21 year olds to be fully developed mentally or physically.
  18. JPostSam

JPostSam Well-Known Member

1,005 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    this. there was a family issue, IIRC. the coaches supported him, he came back and played his heart out, it's over.

sheesh, you'd think he was showing up at the mall with his pants too low or something.

can we worry about real problems for a change?
  19. DFWJC

22,926 Messages
    2,153 Likes Received
    Waliking out on the team is not as killing someone while driving drunk by any means..not remotely close.. But it is. HUGE. Yes, you move on but lets not trivialize how bad being a quitter is in team sports
  20. Yuma Cactus

Yuma Cactus Active Member

701 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    He didn't quit during a game or even during a practice. He left after practice and came back 2 days later and didn't miss a beat.