1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPN: Cowboys want Dez Bryant to be judicious

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by NewsBot, Nov 25, 2013.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot New Member

30,954 Messages
    294 Likes Received
    [IMG]
    IRVING, Texas – On a few occasions in his first four seasons the Dallas Cowboys have had to have a conversation about his physical style after he makes the catch. The coaches will remind Bryant about it again this week. Bryant lost a fumble in the fourth quarter of Sunday’s 24-21 win against the New York Giants and missed a chance for a first down in the first half by trying to run through defenders instead of by them. “I think that’s the physical manifestation of the passion,” coach Jason Garrett said.

Cowboys want Dez Bryant to be judicious
    November, 25, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – On a few occasions in his first four seasons the Dallas Cowboys have had to have a conversation about his physical style after he makes the catch. The coaches will remind Bryant about it again this week.

Bryant lost a fumble in the fourth quarter of Sunday’s 24-21 win against the New York Giants and missed a chance for a first down in the first half by trying to run through defenders instead of by them.

“I think that’s the physical manifestation of the passion,” coach Jason Garrett said. “He ain’t going down. He needs to understand that he needs to catch the ball and go north and south and just get what he can get sometimes. He seems to want to fight everybody, and he seems relentless in his nature not to go down, and that’s a great trait. But we’ve got to keep channeling that trait.”

In other words there is a time and place for everything.

Continue reading...
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2013
  2. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    so letme get this straight...DEZ should be 'judicious' but DMurray is now soft and should take on safeties at every opportunity? Man Red....just shut up. We won....just leave Dez and DMurray alone or you'll screw them up.....
    Chappy likes this.
  3. kramskoi

kramskoi Well-Known Member

1,780 Messages
    337 Likes Received
    I hear you. If Murray can stay healthy and contribute like Sunday then I don't care how many times he avoids safeties. I think we all know that he is somewhat brittle. They will need him down the stretch and I like how they are using him right now. The offense needs to establish some drive consistency.
    Doomsay likes this.
  4. Tenkamenin

Tenkamenin Well-Known Member

1,149 Messages
    135 Likes Received
    Several times during the game I was scratching my head wondering why he didn't punish the defender to get an extra 5 yds. Often he runs out of bounds leaving chunks of yds on the field.
  5. blackbull

blackbull Well-Known Member

1,284 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    Murray needs to run out of bounds or his career will be Marion barber. Which do you guys want? With Barber you guys whined that he didn't listen to emmitt
  6. dstovall5

dstovall5 Well-Known Member

2,778 Messages
    1,813 Likes Received
    Dez needs to work on fighting his battles, and knowing the situation.

If he's 2 yards away from the 1st down marker after a catch on 3rd down, don't run side ways trying to get to the outside to make a huge gain. Just lower your head and run over the defenders for the 1st down, he's definitely stronger and bigger so that's no problem. I understand he's just trying to make a play, but at times you just have to take what the defense gives you.

And this isn't a bad problem for a player to have either, A.P has the same problem in MIN. Those guys are just so physical that they try to do too much at times and end up fumbling or causing a mistake. I'd rather have a player too physical then a player too safe *cough* Demarco *cough*.
    brymatt94 likes this.
  7. Redball Express

Redball Express All Aboard!!!

3,091 Messages
    310 Likes Received
    I have no problem with Murray running out of bounds.

The hits add up and he's trying to last a 16 game season and maybe the playoffs.

Bryant just is incredibly competitive and sometimes he's going to make mistakes.

As Yoda says..do or do not.

Try is not an option.
  8. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,518 Messages
    456 Likes Received
    He's a big, powerful WR and I just wish he would take whatever momentum he's got going and apply it moving forward. He's got a better chance of powering forward through arm tackles and taking it to the house than he does stopping his momentum and juking and jiving around for an "extra" 5 yards. He opens himself up for ball strippers from all directions when he starts dancing around,,,
    hipfake08 likes this.
  9. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,842 Messages
    1,646 Likes Received
    I'm okay with guys running out of bounds and forgoing 2-4 yards that would have been gained had they forced contact, but I'm only okay with it when they have already gained a first down.

Every yard gained toward a first down, is very important and dramatically opens up the playbook. When I see anyone, really don't care how good or bad they are, run out of bounds after a two yard gain on 1st-and-10 when they could have gotten 4-5 yards, it irritates me because any player on the roster could do that.

/reality