1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPN Dallas: Big Josh Brent wants to be like Jay Ratliff

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Aug 10, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,658 Messages
    6,396 Likes Received
    Aug 9
    6:05
    PM CT
    By Tim MacMahon

SAN ANTONIO – Nose tackle Josh Brent was the first name out of Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones’ mouth when asked who stood out on film from Sunday’s Blue-White scrimmage.

With Jay Ratliff resting a sore hip, Brent played with the starting defense. The backup was a bright spot on an otherwise bad day for Rob Ryan’s first unit. Not that Brent’s performance was surprising.

The 6-foot-2, 318-pound Brent proved himself to be a quality backup as a rookie last season. He’s consistently overpowered the young centers and guards throughout training camp, strengthening the belief that he was a steal as a supplemental seventh-round pick.

Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4681817/big-josh-brent-wants-to-be-like-jay-ratliff
  2. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I can't wait to see Brent in action Thursday/Friday...
  3. w8lifter

w8lifter Member

488 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Nose tackle Josh Brent was the first name out of Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones’ mouth when asked who stood out on film from Sunday’s Blue-White scrimmage.

With Jay Ratliff resting a sore hip, Brent played with the starting defense. The backup was a bright spot on an otherwise bad day for Rob Ryan’s first unit. Not that Brent’s performance was surprising.

The 6-foot-2, 318-pound Brent proved himself to be a quality backup as a rookie last season. He’s consistently overpowered the young centers and guards throughout training camp, strengthening the belief that he was a steal as a supplemental seventh-round pick.

See the ESPN NFL Live video here: http://bleacherreport.com/tb/baxsl
  4. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

4,680 Messages
    1,278 Likes Received
    Hopefully he turns into a solid player
  5. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,703 Messages
    347 Likes Received
    That is my pet cat. He is going to shine in Ryan's scheme.
  6. w8lifter

w8lifter Member

488 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    I realize a lot of CZ members dont have a very high opinion of whats posted on Bleacher Report, but I found this article interesting.

Furthermore, NFL Live officials must have found Cowboys Josh Brent intriguing also, or they would not have made this video, etc.

Lets hear what you think on whether the Cowboys should keep Big Josh Brent or try to slip him in on the Practice Squad......... :cunning:
  7. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,507 Messages
    449 Likes Received
    Well, this either speaks well of Brent or poorly of our "young centers and guards". Take your pick,,, I think he played well last year though, considering he came in late to the program.
  8. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

38,249 Messages
    4,191 Likes Received
    I think you've got a good pick.
  9. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,703 Messages
    347 Likes Received
    Indeed. In addition, a fresh Rat is going to kill OLs.
  10. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

38,249 Messages
    4,191 Likes Received
    And give a lot of options for Ryan to line them up. I'm excited about this guy.
  11. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,901 Messages
    9,000 Likes Received
    Practice squad? He's way too good to be on anyone's practice squad. IMO, he's the top backup DL we have and a future starter. Maybe as soon as this year.
  12. victoriacowboy

victoriacowboy New Member

16 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I think Brent is most definitely a keeper. Can't wait to see him in tomorrow nights game.
  13. kmd24

kmd24 Active Member

3,436 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He's also not eligible for the practice squad, so there's that too.
  14. w8lifter

w8lifter Member

488 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    I admit Im not 100% 'up to snuff' on all the rules for Roster & Practice Squad, so I guess that statement/question was not necessary. My bad.

:pc:
  15. WoodysGirl

66,658 Messages
    6,396 Likes Received
    Just an FYI, but that article came from ESPN Dallas, not the Bleacher Report.
  16. w8lifter

w8lifter Member

488 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    I stand corrected then. :blush:

I subscribe to Bleacher Report: Cowboys mailing list that sends me the top Cowboys news article links & thats where I got this article.
  17. WoodysGirl

66,658 Messages
    6,396 Likes Received
    No biggie.. Sites like that just gather info from traditional outlets.
  18. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,703 Messages
    347 Likes Received
    Just pray for health and let the sparks fly. I think this unit will be top 3 or 5.