1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPN Dallas: F. Jones has been surpassed by other RB in draft class because of 'Boys

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Oct 7, 2010.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,035 Messages
    3,971 Likes Received
    Updated: October 7, 2010, 1:04 AM ET
    It's not Felix Jones' fault he fell behind

He's been surpassed by other backs in his draft class because Cowboys hold him back

[IMG] By Tim MacMahon
    ESPNDallas.com
    Archive

IRVING, Texas -- Did the Dallas Cowboys pick the wrong running back in the 2008 first round, or is Felix Jones egregiously underutilized?

The answer: Both, but the Cowboys have the opportunity to fix only one of those issues.

The statistical evidence strongly supports the case that the Cowboys could have drafted a better back. That's not necessarily a knock on Jones, who has flashed brilliance while averaging 6.2 yards per carry during his brief, injury-interrupted career. But the seven backs selected between Jones and fourth-rounder Tashard Choice have more career rushing yards than the 22nd overall pick.

Tennessee's Chris Johnson, the headliner of that group and the reigning NFL rushing champion, comes to town Sunday. He was taken two picks after Jones but has more than three times as many rushing yards and five times as many touchdowns. Pittsburgh's Rashard Mendenhall, Baltimore's Ray Rice and Kansas City's Jamaal Charles are other backs picked after Jones who are superior players at this point of their careers, although that isn't a point Jones and the Cowboys' decision-makers are willing to concede.

"When I do get an opportunity, I do what I can," said Jones, a normally pleasant dude who seemed annoyed when pressed on this particular subject. "I really can't speak if they're doing better than me this week. I'm only granted what I'm given."

Read more: http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/columns/story?columnist=macmahon_tim&id=5657189
  2. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great guitarists Staff Member

36,255 Messages
    3,189 Likes Received
    Jones needs more carries and passes.
  3. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Felix Jones needs to carry the ball 20 times a game and get like five passes a game.
  4. Joshmvii

Joshmvii Cowboys baby!

2,642 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    If you have a position where only 1 guy at that position is on the field at a time(QB, RB, 3-4 NT), you don't draft another guy unless you are going to legitimately let him take the starting job away. It would be like drafting a QB in the first and then not playing him several years down the line.

We drafted Felix to give us the kind of presence Westbrook gave Philly, or for that matter, the presence guys like Ray Rice and Chris Johnson are giving their teams now. If Barber is not cool being the guy getting 5 to 10 carries a game as the closer like he was early in his career, then trade him or cut him, but we're hamstringing our offense by not putting a guy averaging almost 7 YPC on the field.

If you have two backs and one of them can score every time he touches it, it shouldn't be a hard choice who should be playing.
  5. sago1

sago1 Active Member

7,789 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I also think we need to realize that Felix simply isn't the blocker we need to protect Romo--unlike MBIII. Seems to me that it's up to the Cowboys, and the RB coach, to make sure Felix becomes that kind of player. Otherwise we will always need to keep either Witten/MB in to protect Romo (along with MBIII. Anyway, I do think it's time to get the ball to Felix so we really know what we have, but then I also think Choice should get more carries.

Frankly, I think the drafting of Felix was a mistake (admit I wanted Mendenhall) because of how we intended to use him. Whenever Jerry and the coaching staff want to get cute & draft for a specific need is when too many mistakes are made.
  6. LandryFan

LandryFan Well-Known Member

1,911 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    His underutilization is really gaulling. Then, when Red gives his standard BS response to questions regarding his lack of touches, I get even more pissed. I really am becoming increasingly disenchanted with Garrett and his utilization of the offense.
  7. odog422

odog422 Well-Known Member

1,516 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Garrett's reply smacks of bullheadedness. Stubborn. Whatever you want to call it. But it's really irritating. Bad enough we have to accept a learning on the job deal, ok, fine. But when certain things are OBVIOUS yet you refuse to admit change is needed, that's when I get upset.

The tantrums expressed by overdoing it to prove a point aren't appreciated by this fan, either. It's just not that serious. We all have egos, but first and foremost it's about being successful.

Not being able to recognize, especially after the end of last year, the dynamic difference between Barber and Jones is simply willful disregard of the evidence smacking you in the face.

I'm a little tired of these group sessions to get our OC to better run our offense. "We all think we should run more..." " we all think Felix should get the ball more..." Adapt and move on Jason.
  8. clutch88

clutch88 Benched

639 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Chris Johnson is running through huge holes, Felix Jones is trying to break tackles at the hand-off, let's be real the cowboys offensive line is not as good as we think, with the exception of Doug Free these guys will be the reason we fail to make the post season...not very bright guys.
  9. clutch88

clutch88 Benched

639 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Very well put sir.
  10. DanteEXT

DanteEXT Well-Known Member

1,764 Messages
    158 Likes Received
    Nice argument. Clearly the better running back with each having only carried it 168 times in their career. Oh, wait, you mean Jones has carried it 168 and Johnson has over 4 times as many in his career (703)?

Seriously, how can you compare a guy's career statistics when one guy gets an average of 20.1 carries a game and the other only gets 7.3? I mean, it's almost like the author purposely choose only certain facts in order to frame his argument to sound more convinci...... oh......
  11. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,273 Messages
    832 Likes Received
    Remember how Troy Aikman and Jason Garrett hated having Chan Gailey running the offense? I wonder how Jason Garrett the qb would like Jason Garrett the OC.
  12. Thomas82

Thomas82 Active Member

1,180 Messages
    1 Likes Received

:hammer: :hammer:
  13. EMMITTnROY

EMMITTnROY Well-Known Member

2,487 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    I don't know why all of a sudden this is the hot topic this week, but boy, I sure am glad it is. With everyone talking about it, it has brought a lion's share of attention to the matter. And it seems like everyone agrees. So with that said, I think Garrett really will have to start giving Felix more carries.
  14. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,206 Messages
    148 Likes Received
    One thing people need to keep in mind is Felix is only 23 years old. CJ and others from his draft class are 25, I am starting to wonder if that has anything to do with them brining him along a bit slower.
  15. forever22

forever22 Member

369 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This argument gets tiring. Why can't these writers just let this horse die in peace.

They picked Jones becuase he fit what they had in place. They signed MBIII already, they weren't going to pay two backs huge money and have one sit. Felix was/is supposed to be the specialty back with MBIII the starter.

:bang2:
  16. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,043 Messages
    3,280 Likes Received
    It's not Felix Jones' fault he fell behind
    He's been surpassed by other backs in his draft class because Cowboys hold him back

Tim MacMahon

IRVING, Texas -- Did the Dallas Cowboys pick the wrong running back in the 2008 first round, or is Felix Jones egregiously underutilized?

The answer: Both, but the Cowboys have the opportunity to fix only one of those issues.

The statistical evidence strongly supports the case that the Cowboys could have drafted a better back. That's not necessarily a knock on Jones, who has flashed brilliance while averaging 6.2 yards per carry during his brief, injury-interrupted career. But the seven backs selected between Jones and fourth-rounder Tashard Choice have more career rushing yards than the 22nd overall pick.

LINK to article