1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPN Dallas: Todd Archer's practice observations

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Aug 1, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,056 Messages
    5,559 Likes Received
    Aug 1
    6:47
    PM CT

By Todd Archer

SAN ANTONIO -- ** In the morning workout, backup C Bill Nagy and QB Jon Kitna worked on the snap exchange after they had some issues Sunday. They did not appear to have any problems Monday. Phil Costa had a high shotgun snap to Tony Romo that disrupted the timing on a handoff.

** How strong is OT Tyron Smith’s punch? During individual drills with fellow offensive lineman, he was able to knock a spinning Nagy off balance.

** New coordinator Rob Ryan must love what he is getting from DeMarcus Ware and Jay Ratliff. They have been disruptive every day. Ware forced a Romo throwaway and also chewed up a reverse to WR Manny Johnson. Ratliff thwarted a run by RB Felix Jones after bullying Costa into the backfield at the snap. Later, a Ratliff pressure led to a Ware interception.

Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4681218/todd-archers-practice-observations-5
  2. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If you read through the training camp chats, Archer has repeatedly said that AOA looks really bad in both scrimmages and one-on-ones.

Just passing the info along...
  3. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,467 Messages
    173 Likes Received
    It's conflicted tho bc vela said a.o.a looked good and Dallas may only need to find one safety
  4. ddh33

ddh33 Active Member

4,934 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    It's been fairly unanimous that Barry Church has been the best safety in camp. Take that for what you will.
  5. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    Someone posted the other day that AOA looked completely lost in a 1-on-1 drill.
  6. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

38,694 Messages
    1,567 Likes Received
    Maybe we'll finally get that consistent pressure from Ware I've been preaching. I can't wait.
  7. cbow44

cbow44 Member

596 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I havent read that, thought I had read everyones. repeatedly?
  8. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If you go through the chat logs the past few days, including today, he mentions it a few times.

Take it FWIW.
  9. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,978 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    Great news on Brent, I'm actually excited to see him play.
  10. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,392 Messages
    1,261 Likes Received
    Sorely needed.
  11. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,635 Messages
    1,099 Likes Received
    1-1 drills? Does that even make sense to you?
  12. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    Found it.
  13. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,467 Messages
    173 Likes Received
    Anybody find it odd we havn't heard a single comment about John Phillips?

I've heard a ton about Bennett. I've even heard about Rucker. Not a single mention of Phillips.
  14. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,392 Messages
    1,261 Likes Received
    Dont remember where I read it but supposedly he is much better at moving opponents from out of the backfield than Gronk or Chappas. Basically a beast as a blocker.
  15. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,056 Messages
    5,559 Likes Received
    I don't know. I read alot about Phillips in the chats. Everybody asks about him in the chats and they respond.

He seems to be having a solid camp.

Bennett's the #2 TE, tho per the chats.
  16. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,635 Messages
    1,099 Likes Received
    That's just crap from Timmy. Getting beat in 1-1 drills is a common thing in practice. Getting lost in coverage is suppose to be about team defense and not knowing where you are suppose to be.
  17. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,467 Messages
    173 Likes Received

They must just be in the chats and not in the articles then.

That explains it. I was worried maybe he wasn't full speed yet.

Thanks Woody and RS12
  18. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,467 Messages
    173 Likes Received

The offense is going to win on a 1-1 drill the large majority of the time. You are all alone, they know the play and you don't. It's much harder then you'd think.

It is pretty common to get turned around on a double move. Or he could have guessed and that'd be another reason why he turned around.

Eitherway, that doesn't really bother me. It's the team drills that would be more of a concern.

Vela says AOA is doing well, and Dallas only needs to find 1 safety, not two.

So who knows who is actually right.

I always consider MacMahon and Calvin especially to be dumb. I take what they say with a grain of salt.
  19. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,299 Messages
    2,109 Likes Received
    Its not complete crap. AOA takes bad steps. You know this because the coaches have had AOA take additional reps in practice over said steps. Broaddus talked about how AOA should never get turned around like that on a double move to the vertical or something along those lines.

The thing is though is McMahon does not know what the hell he is talking about. He had some hyperbole today like AOA would be a significant downgrade from Alan Ball. Thats just stupid.

What he has not said is how the coaches give AOA extra work, or that he has been in position a few times to make plays on the ball. In the first practice video you can see him charge the sideline from the hash and almost comeaway with the pic and causing the incompletion. He has shown that he will come up and be physical in run support which was a major question mark and lets just say Alan Ball could not do it.

Vela who does know what the hell he is talking about describes AOA as 'always showing up around the ball,' how he wants to "see more of him" and that we might need to only export one safety and not 2.

I allowed ******* McMahon damper my enthusiasm but then I read Vela and what i saw when I was at camp. Who are you going to believe? Vela or McMahon?
  20. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,467 Messages
    173 Likes Received
    I agree 100% with this.:D