1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

ESPN: DeMarcus Ware to have surgery

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Reality, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,499 Messages
    882 Likes Received
    IRVING, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys defensive end DeMarcus Ware will undergo surgery on his right elbow on Feb. 18, but he anticipates being able to take part in most of the offseason program.

DeMarcus Ware will undergo surgery on his right elbow on Feb. 18, but he anticipates being able to take part in most of the offseason program.
    Ware has played the last two years with the problem and hoped rest would have taken care of the issue, but he said it flared up early in training camp and bothered him throughout the 2013 season.

"It's been killing me," Ware said. "It's hurt really bad and that's why I would wear an elbow pad to stop from getting it hit but that didn't do much. It would get irritated even when it was barely touched."

Read Full Article
  2. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,499 Messages
    882 Likes Received
    Funny how it comes out that there's a 50/50 chance Ware gets cuts and suddenly, surgery is something he needs. Guess skipping training camp next season after delaying surgery until then doesn't look so appealing when he might be looking for another team.

I like Ware a lot, but this just wreaks of wrong. If he needed surgery, he should have already taken care of it so he would have longer to recover and also deal with any issues that could possibly pop up over it.
  3. Carolina Cowboy

Carolina Cowboy Active Member

348 Messages
    148 Likes Received
    It all leads to the top and to what is tolerated. This is me, yet again, shaking my head...
    bysbox1, Floaty, Zordon and 1 other person like this.
  4. Gadfly22

Gadfly22 Active Member

616 Messages
    137 Likes Received
    I have to give the guy the benefit of the doubt: could be that there was swelling or other conditions in the joint that had to be dealt with before the doctors could recommend surgery or not.
    CyberB0b likes this.
  5. slomoxn

slomoxn Well-Known Member

1,488 Messages
    205 Likes Received
    Maybe we are wrong about the core group of veterans on this team, but the commitment to win doesn't really seem to be there. I'm not saying they don't want to win just like I won't say I'd turn down the salary of a major corp CEO; I just don't want to put in the time they do to get there and stay there. I say this because I remember reading on here one of the reasons Austin keeps having hammy problems is because he will not do the rehab work because it is to hard... These guys really don't have the "it" necessary to go to a SB it seems. BTW I am not including Witten in that group he has the heart of a lion, and definitely does what it takes, the rest seem to like the paycheck.

James Gang redux.
    tantrix1969, BigStar, Zordon and 3 others like this.
  6. bark

bark Well-Known Member

1,880 Messages
    701 Likes Received
    I thought we read last week where ware didn't need offseason surgery. It's getting hard to believe anything coming out of valley ranch.
  7. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

3,430 Messages
    1,174 Likes Received
    This smells too much like Spencer and Ratliff last year. He's expensive, declining, unwilling to take a pay cut, injured and in need of surgery. If there wasn't a better time to move on...
    BigStar, Doomsay, mcompact and 6 others like this.
  8. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

2,944 Messages
    466 Likes Received
    Well, this does wreak of the recent injury shenanigans at Valley Ranch, but in his defense a month or two resting away from football could very well have fixed it and it was worth it to find out. It didn't so he is having surgery with plenty of time to come back. Some of you are just looking for anything to whine about.
    CowboyMike likes this.
  9. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

7,807 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    Would have been nice to do this, you know, a month ago.
  10. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,768 Messages
    3,757 Likes Received
    I think, more than likely, this will be a relatively straightforward recovery that's well within the time available before any OTAs, and the guy just chose to get some relaxing in after the season prior to having it done. If you've got 12 weeks off, or whatever, and have a procedure that takes a hypothetical 3-4 to recover from, it's obviously better to do it as soon as possible, but I don't have a real issue with him getting it done in week 3 of his vacation time with the idea of being back to full strength at the end of week 7, a full 4 weeks before the earliest camp.
    CowboyMike likes this.
  11. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,323 Messages
    3,191 Likes Received
    Article doesn't say how long the recovery time is expected to be. It's only February. I'm not gonna scream on him too much if he'll still be able to participate in pretty much the entire offseason.

All depends on the rehab plan.
    Common Sense and CowboyMike like this.
  12. diehard2294

diehard2294 America's Team

4,305 Messages
    265 Likes Received
    Maybe Bradie bumped into him going down the mountain
  13. snapper

snapper Active Member

198 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    Normally I would agree that any angst from fans was excessive but considering it was reported just last week that Ware was healthy, I'd say something smells.

Reality might be on to something given Ware's surprising news.
  14. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

14,511 Messages
    979 Likes Received
    It couldn't be much more of a no-brainer that it's time to move on from him, IMO.
    Zordon likes this.
  15. Corso

Corso Well-Known Member

1,865 Messages
    1,012 Likes Received
    I don't necessarily disagree, but if something was killing me with barely a touch like he said- I would want it fixed before I could relax.
    Wouldn't you? How can you relax when a part of your body you use constantly kills you to be barely touched?

Edit: he said "irritated" to be barely touched- my point still stands.
    I'd rather get healed and relax as soon as possible and heal as much as I can before all the contact that football provides than try to relax and then consider fixing the problem and give less time to heal.

Makes zero sense to me...
  16. snapper

snapper Active Member

198 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    You get a like just for your avatar. :D
    Corso likes this.
  17. theSHOW

theSHOW Well-Known Member

2,654 Messages
    810 Likes Received
    I agree and have previously mimicked what you just shared.
  18. Little Jr

Little Jr Well-Known Member

2,714 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    It didn't irritate him enough not to be skiing the slopes with his buddies. Cut him. He's been part of the 2 worst defenses the cowboys have put on the field the past 2 years. He hasn't helped that much. Not like we are losing leadership
    tantrix1969, theSHOW, Zordon and 2 others like this.
  19. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,211 Messages
    1,180 Likes Received
    He should be able to go thru most of the offseason. might hold him out of the early OTAs
  20. panchucko

panchucko Wait until next year. Zone Supporter

1,923 Messages
    136 Likes Received
    well i hope he has successful surgery and excellent recovery. ware is going to be my favorite cowboy until he isnt on the team aymore