1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

ESPN: DeMarcus Ware to have surgery

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Reality, Feb 11, 2014.

1. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

6,756 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    This surgery isn't going to fix Ware's stingers.Those are the much bigger problem.
    BigStar and Zordon like this.
  2. Corso

Corso Well-Known Member

1,739 Messages
    923 Likes Received
    True, but that's not MY point.
    My point is that this team couldn't get the other team off the field so noticeably others were making poignant sideways remarks about it and sideways digs on Ware specifically.
  3. Corso

Corso Well-Known Member

1,739 Messages
    923 Likes Received
    You're right. I will not argue that for sure. Much better retort this time my friend.

I'm not dogging him without keeping that in mind. He's been "struggling" for the past Two seasons and it's time, in my uneducated opinion to come to terms with his career and salary going forward with this team.
    CyberB0b likes this.
  4. Corso

Corso Well-Known Member

1,739 Messages
    923 Likes Received
    I agree wholeheartedly.
    But my point is no being taken.
    My point is spelled out in my response to Burma. Or CyberBob. I don't remember anymore...
  5. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,136 Messages
    661 Likes Received
    not at all a bad post but lets discuss some of the bullet points.

The easy choice is restructuring his full 12.75m and hoping for a rebound--Yes, it is. Because it frees up immediate cap space but also gives you a front line starting RDE.

The best choice is a 50% pay cut, guaranteeing 2015 against everything but injury and then they could still possibly restructure--That is a dream choice for the Cowboys. Ware has little incentive to do that type restructure at low rates. That is essentially a 2 year 12m deal. He can get that from Seattle if he wants and be a title favorite. Or literally just about any team in the NFL.

An outright release in March helps 2014 and 2015 the most in FA and rebuilding--It clears the most long term cap space related to Ware but does not address the position. Someone has to start there and someone has to back that player up. Those players will have cap hits in 2014 and 2015 and may or may not be rebuilding pieces. One could argue best way to handle it from a rebuilding standpoint is to keep Ware in 2014 but also draft his replacement.

A June 1st release isn't a good option because the cap money isn't available until June 2nd, but it creates the most money for 2014--correct. Getting enough space to keep Ware til June would require many worse cap decisions than simply the one move to restructure Ware.

A trade doesn't seem possible at this point with the surgery--Surgery has next to nothing to do with it. His surgery is a clean up procedure that effects his stock little to none. His neck and back issues are far more disconcerting. He can't likely be traded because he has a huge deal of money owed. He'd have to agree to a new deal before a trade could be made. And teams see Dallas doesn't want to pay him the current deal so have little incentive to trade for a guy who could well become a free agent while still crippling the Cowboys cap space.

The worst case scenario is a restructure and Ware isn't able to fully recover and misses time throughout camp and the season, again--debateable. Worst-case imho is he is released and signs with the Eagles and they win a Super Bowl. Can add driving Romo into the turf a couple times as insult upon injury.
    bkight13 and Corso like this.
  6. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,083 Messages
    537 Likes Received
    Possible but not probable,especially if Jason Peters is healthy. :D
  7. Corso

Corso Well-Known Member

1,739 Messages
    923 Likes Received
    That worries me the most- honestly.
    That and your super-creepy avi...

*shudder*
    dmq likes this.
  8. ragman

ragman Member

180 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Hasn't Ware had the problem with his elbow since early 2013? This is what an article in today's Dallas Morning News said. That's why I don't understand why he's waited this long to have it fixed.
  9. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,136 Messages
    661 Likes Received
    Easy, it is viewed as an elective surgery.
    First option was resting it and letting it heal.
    Couldn't during the season then it didn't last off-season.

He's played what 29 games with it then that case?
    It's the most minor of his various injuries from all reports.
    He's never missed a game due to his elbow.

People act like this is a major critical surgery he can't possibly do without or face immediate retirement, lol.

Pretty typical time period for off-season surgery that didn't end a player's season.
  10. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

11,592 Messages
    372 Likes Received
    But he wants to keep his pay...

Come on son...
    ragman likes this.
  11. ragman

ragman Member

180 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Agree. Give him a huge contract for less production? These huge contracts that JJ's giving the players are the main reason the Cowboys are in the salary cap predicament they're in. This isn't 1989 when the salary cap wasn't in effect.
  12. CooterBrown

CooterBrown Well-Known Member

1,559 Messages
    259 Likes Received
    It reeks of wrong too. :)
  13. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,418 Messages
    711 Likes Received
    Indeed! :D
  14. ragman

ragman Member

180 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Agreed. He should have taken care of the elbow in 2013.
  15. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,138 Messages
    204 Likes Received
    swelling would not take that long to go down. He probably just wanted to see if it would heal itself. Football players are like alot of people....they don't like going under the knife.
  16. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,138 Messages
    204 Likes Received
    you bring up a good point. There seems to be alot of non-compliance by older players on this team. Something on the inner core of that team is not sitting well with experienced players. Usually those players are your leaders but for Dallas they become defiant. At best its odd.