1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPN: Dez Bryant, Cowboys talk extension

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, Jul 25, 2014.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,715 Messages
    1,143 Likes Received
    Dez Bryant, Cowboys talk extension
    Updated: July 25, 2014, 12:44 AM ET
    By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story...xtension-deal-not-close?ex_cid=espnapi_public

OXNARD, Calif. -- The Dallas Cowboys have had several discussions with the agent for receiver Dez Bryant about a lucrative, long-term extension, but the sides are not close to a deal as the team opens training camp.

Bryant believes he has earned the right to be among the highest-paid receivers in the league, but he understands he likely will have to wait to cash in with a new contract. Coming off his first Pro Bowl appearance, Bryant is entering the final year of his rookie deal and is due to make $1.78 million this season.

[+] Enlarge[IMG]

AP Photo/David RichardDez Bryant's agent and the Cowboys have been talking about a contract extension for the standout receiver, but the two sides aren't close to a deal.

"It feels good to know that things are being talked about, but I'm going to let it take care of itself," Bryant told ESPNDallas.com after the Cowboys' first practice of camp Thursday. "I feel like as long as I take care of business on that field, the rest will be taken care of."

The Cowboys have a history of giving extensions to core players before their contracts expire. However, several of those contracts did not work out favorably for them, including rich deals for receivers Roy Williams and Miles Austin.

This year, owner/general manager Jerry Jones made a handful of offseason decisions designed to improve the Cowboys' salary-cap situation, the most difficult being the release of DeMarcus Ware, the franchise's all-time sacks leader...