1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPN: Dez Bryant needs to take over games

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, Sep 5, 2012.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Benched

16,573 Messages
    1,087 Likes Received
    Dez Bryant needs to take over games

By Calvin Watkins

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4696952/dez-bryant-needs-to-take-over-games

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- The issues regarding Dez Bryant off the field don’t matter now.

He’s got a pending domestic violence case hanging over him and rules he must follow to help stay out of trouble.

What matters now for Bryant is on-the-field stuff.

Every time you ask Jason Garrett about Bryant’s work as a professional football player, he says it’s been outstanding.

The Cowboys visit the defending Super Bowl champion New York Giants on Wednesday night at MetLife Stadium. These are the games Bryant likes to play in.

National television.

Something on the line.

As talented as Bryant is, elite receiver isn’t something you can place on his resume. In reality, other players drafted or signed in 2009 or 2010 have become more accomplished.

Take the lead receiver for the Giants: Hakeem Nicks. In three NFL seasons, he’s got two 1,000-yard seasons. Bryant, a first-round pick in 2010, has yet to reach that milestone once.

How about Mike Wallace of the Pittsburgh Steelers? In three NFL seasons, Wallace has two 1,000-yard seasons and 24 touchdowns. Another Steelers receiver, Antonio Brown, caught 69 passes for 1,108 yards and two touchdowns in 2011. He was drafted the same year as Bryant, who has yet to catch more than 63 passes in a single-season.

Injuries and playing alongside targets Miles Austin and Jason Witten are some of the reasons why Bryant hasn't accumulated big numbers yet...
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,562 Messages
    5,290 Likes Received
    I can't decide if I'm more excited about Bryant or Murray this season. I think Murray, but it's close.

Dez is capable of taking over games single-handedly. I believe we'll see it more than once this season.
  3. CCBoy

CCBoy Benched

16,573 Messages
    1,087 Likes Received
    Now, that's the real ticket there...:starspin
  4. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Active Member

4,545 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I'm tired of hearing people single out Dez. Everyone needs to take over games. Everyone needs to perform. The way people single him out is ridiculous. He's one player.
  5. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus Active Member

1,740 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    The Dez thing is almost as baffling in its persistence as the "Romo chokes in the 4th quarter" meme that has been proven false so many times. Why is a guy who was picked toward the end of the 1st round being held to a higher standard than Crabtree, Heyward-Bey, Britt and Demaryius Thomas, each of whom he has outperformed?

I think it's clear that Mike Wallace has outperformed Dez in the early going. Beyond that, Maclin and Nicks were rounding error differences in the first 2 seasons, especially when you take into account injuries.

In what world is an end-of-round-1 pick putting up 920+ yards and 9 TDs in his second season this profound disappointment? This is such a weird "thing" to me.
  6. Idgit

29,562 Messages
    5,290 Likes Received
    Yeah. Singling him out on the field is one thing, because he's an amazingly gifted athlete. It's almost a compliment because he really is good enough that you expect him to be a superstar and take over games singlehandedly.

What I don't get is the constant harping on the relatively minor off-the-field stuff when nobody's getting hurt (really) and no laws are getting broken, no drugs are involved, no weapons, etc. It's also boring coverage.
  7. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,439 Messages
    936 Likes Received
    He will starting tonight.
  8. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Active Member

4,545 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    As gifted as he is, he could perform at 100% all season but if no one else does it means nothing. There's this attitude that is overly dependent on him. It's one thing to depend on him to make plays and score. But, from the sound of it people expect him to win games for us and take us to the Super Bowl.
  9. Idgit

29,562 Messages
    5,290 Likes Received
    I hear you. I think Dez is a rare talent capable of winning games for us almost singlehandedly, though. If he ever puts it all together. He's a guy you have to game plan around. He's different from Austin, too, in that Austin can kill you buy breaking tackles, and he can demand double coverage, but largely he's a player you can contain if you commit to it. I'm not sure Dez will be when he puts it all together. I think he can be a player like Calvin Johnson who just beats you anyway.

You can't get to a Superbowl on that alone, but you can get to a division title that way and get yourself a ticket. We'll see if this is the year Dez manages to put it all together. If he plays a full game tonight like he did against the Jets in the first quarter of last year's opener, we'll have our answer--and probably our first W.