1. Like to discuss POLITICS? Come join us at PUNNDITS.com!
    If you like discussing politics and other related topics then your new home (hopefully) for doing just that can be found on Punndits.com! Come join us and help us grow Punndits into a wonderful and safe place to discuss politics with everyone.
    Dismiss Notice

News: ESPN: Garrett: Alan Ball's penalty a perfect hit

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, Sep 29, 2011.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

23,520 Messages
    4,341 Likes Received
    Garrett: Alan Ball's penalty a perfect hit
    By Tim MacMahon

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4684535/garrett-alan-balls-penalty-a-perfect-hit

IRVING, Texas – The next time Alan Ball hits a receiver, Jason Garrett hopes he delivers a blow just like the one that put Santana Moss on his back during the fourth quarter Monday night.

Never mind the unnecessary roughness flag thrown on the play.

The Cowboys believe that it was a textbook, legal hit by Ball. The NFL didn’t fine Ball for the hit, a sign the league office came to the same conclusion as the Cowboys.

“I would argue that they could use that hit on some kind of a film about how you’re supposed to hit somebody,” coach Jason Garrett said. “I think he did a really good job striking first with his shoulder and then hitting the receiver in the chest area rather than launching and using his helmet or hitting that guy in the helmet.” ...

2. cowboyeric8

cowboyeric8 Chicks dig crutches

5,415 Messages
    236 Likes Received
    I completely agree. But for whatever reason the officials didn't see it that way.

3. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That was a textbook hit in my opinion... Allan Ball is playing much better in 2011, improving each game.

4. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

27,414 Messages
    10,301 Likes Received
    I definitely agree. That was a fine hit and a good football play.

Nice to see Garrett sticking up for his player too.

If they want to talk about a hit, what about the Laron Landry hit on Robinson?

:confused:

5. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

85,996 Messages
    8,647 Likes Received
    Exactly. I had a hard time with that. Ball is going to get called on his hit and yet Robinson a defensless WR is nailed like he was? Come on ref open the eyes

6. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

27,414 Messages
    10,301 Likes Received
    I thought that entire crew did a horrible job all night long.

7. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

5,279 Messages
    905 Likes Received
    have fines been announced from last week? I'm curious if Landry got one on the no call?

8. Doomsday101

85,996 Messages
    8,647 Likes Received
    I have seen better.

9. tomsanders921

tomsanders921 Well-Known Member

1,286 Messages
    260 Likes Received
    And landry's was never questioned by the announcers. They were drooling over how great the play was.

On ball's, the announcers acted like there was no way he would not get fined.

10. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

5,714 Messages
    1,468 Likes Received
    I heard something disturbing from the ref guru Pereia, he said that in the case of defenseless hits or blows to the head, etc. that the officials are instructed to call it even if they don't actually see it, just for the mere possibility that it "might" have been an illegal hit. Good Lord, there are enough inconsistencies built into the officiating (some of which I think we are not told about) without having these guys call things that they don't actually see. If you don't see it, don't call it!

And while we are at it, if you're going to enforce several holding calls on one team you freaking better call some on the other team too because you know it's going on, every freaking play.

11. Doomsday101

85,996 Messages
    8,647 Likes Received
    I know they have been informed if it is close to call it.

When it comes to officiating all I ever ask is call it both ways. Some crews will be a bit more ticky tacky in their calls than another crew and that is fine by me as long as they call it both ways.

I was not thrilled about the calls in the game but what I am thrilled about is the team over came them. As they say good teams overcome and find a way to win.

12. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

5,714 Messages
    1,468 Likes Received

Consistency within the game itself would be a huge step forward, though even that still may favor one team if they decide they are going to ignore something. My problem is that there seems to be hidden agendas, maybe built in by the competition committee, that favors the darling teams, or the home teams, or something. It's hard to believe they can sit there and watch Ware get held all night and then nail Free several times for holding. It makes no sense.

13. Doomsday101

85,996 Messages
    8,647 Likes Received
    I think there is human error. sorry I don't think there is any built in agenda or the NFL playing favorites. It would not benifet them in any way and would do more harm than good to risk it.

14. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

34,679 Messages
    4,015 Likes Received
    What announcers were you listening to?

Pretty sure neither Gruden or Jaws liked the call at all.

15. Doomsday101

85,996 Messages
    8,647 Likes Received
    I agree. I did hear Gruden say he did not like that rule or that call

16. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

34,679 Messages
    4,015 Likes Received
    I don't know when but at some point he said "don't even get me started".

Gruden has made it clear he doesn't care for a lot of the officiating in the league.

I love his willingness to flat out say it.

17. Doomsday101

85,996 Messages
    8,647 Likes Received
    It was right after the flag on Ball. I have heard others mention simular plays and they don't like it.

We can understand launching yourself or using the crown to lay a WR out but if the CB does not come up quick and make the hit after the catch he is going to look stupid as the WR gets past him for a big play or TD.

What Ball did to me looked like it was text book when flagged I could not believe it.

18. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

5,714 Messages
    1,468 Likes Received

I think it does serve them with regard to ticket sales if the home teams got the calls and created a better chance for a hometown win.

I think it does serve them if the darling teams don't get knocked off because of officiating and they would rather error in the darling team's favor.

I think it does serve them if the "stars" like Champ Bailey or Charles Woodson get the Michael Jordan treatment and are allowed to show off their greatness with an extra tug or bump or early contact.

There are plenty of reasons and it's not far fetched to think that the competition committee tells the refs to give the "benefit of a doubt" to certain teams or players. They are not telling them to cheat per sey, just to make sure they give some slack in those situations. Or it could very well be that individual officials trend in these directions on their own, just as human nature.

19. Doomsday101

85,996 Messages
    8,647 Likes Received
    I just don't share your view. I do think there are bad calls or questionalbe calls in every game but I don't think there is any set agenda trying to favor one over another.

20. cowboysfan31

cowboysfan31 Active Member

1,296 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I believe that Ball was flagged not for the hit itself, but because of the timing of the hit. My understanding was that Moss was still in the act of making the catch and had not made a "football move" yet so he was defenseless. I don't agree with that though because DBs should be allowed to make legal hits to separate the receiver and the ball.