1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

ESPN: Jason Hatcher is an undervalued player

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by jobberone, Mar 3, 2013.

1. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,558 Messages
    3,843 Likes Received
    The fellas at Pro Football Focus released their annual Performance Based Value list for the 2012 season.

Defensive end Jason Hatcher topped the list as the most undervalued player on the Cowboys team for 2012.

Here's what PFF said in part:
    Someone who just looks at sacks for defensive linemen wouldn’t notice it, as he had five in both 2011 and 2012, but he more than doubled his amount of hurries from 14 to 29, and did the same with his run stops from 11 to 24.
    Also making the list was Sean Lee, DeMarco Murray, Anthony Spencer, Nate Livings and Tony Romo among others.

However, the player who led the overvalued list was nose tackle Jay Ratliff.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4706131/jason-hatcher-is-an-undervalued-player
  2. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,649 Messages
    1,104 Likes Received
    I think people are really going to like Hatcher playing the 3 technique. Rat wasn't healthy enough to gauge his play.
  3. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

10,889 Messages
    380 Likes Received
    Ratliff should bennefit greatly from playing on a 4 man line, if he can stay healthy i dont think his name pops up in this list again next year

Our DL could be pretty good depending on what we get playing DE opposite Ware
  4. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,980 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    I thought Hatcher has steadily improved, which is why I was surprised to hear both Mickey and Broaddus say he'd be better coming off the bench and shouldn't be a fulltime starter.

Not sure what they saw or didn't see, but they also think Bernadeau was better than Livings last year.

---

BTW, the post on ESPN isn't even of import really. PFF did the analysis and here's the direct link for the full list: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/03/01/performance-based-value-dallas-cowboys/
  5. jobberone

37,558 Messages
    3,843 Likes Received
    I've liked Hatcher since his second year. He's always played well when he's not injured. Phillips said he was a very good player and that means something to me. I see him at the 3 and 5 this year.
  6. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Yes, I can see him playing those two positions as well in the new defense. I think his time split there will depend a great deal on what ends up happening in the draft.

The one thing that people aren't grasping about the Spencer decision is that the LDE is supposed to be a 5-Tech. This is a role that doesn't really suit Spencer but is a perfect fit for Hatcher. Now that we have an equally good in-house option for the position it makes sense to let Spencer walk at 8 figures and 29 years old. The problem now becomes who plays the 3-tech if Hatcher is out there at the 5-tech since that is more of a playmaking position in this defense. We could put Rat there but then who plays the 1-tech with Brent a big question mark.

The draft looks strong at DT and I think that is most likely what we are going to come up with at that slot unless Ansah or Werner slide. So I think our best 4-man line is likely to be:

Hatcher/Crawford Rat/Lissemore/Brent Rookie/Hatcher Ware/Wilber/rookie
  7. jobberone

37,558 Messages
    3,843 Likes Received
    I agree. A lot depends on what we do with Spencer. Personally, I think he will do well as a 4-3 DE. I'm worried about depth and rotations as well as the 1. You're right. With Hatcher and Ratliff as the 3 then who are the other DT including the 1. But I think it will come together at the end of camp.

I wonder what happens here if we go DT at 18.
  8. JDSTAR

JDSTAR Active Member

218 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Where would Lissemore fit into the line? He was the talk of the offseason town last year?
  9. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,980 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    What I've heard is that he'd line up as a 1 tech.
  10. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,066 Messages
    293 Likes Received
    If Spencer returns, you'll likely see a D-Line of

RDE- Ware, Wilbur
    RDT- Hatcher, rookie
    LDT- Ratliff, Lissimore
    LDE- Spencer, Crawford
  11. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    I remember when newnationcb said forever that Hatcher was better than Spears, and very few agreed with him...

Good times.
  12. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    The issue with Hatcher has always been chronic injuries. Not a huge surprise to see him play well when he stays on the field for an entire season.
  13. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,507 Messages
    6,256 Likes Received
    He's gotten steadily better, too. This was a player I think a lot of people had hopes for when, on draft day, the story broke that Belichick told us we stole a good one from the Pats. He's been underrated for the last several years here, and I have no idea why Broaddus or Mickey would think he's a better player coming off the bench. I'd love to see a small, fair extension for him for a few seasons before 2013 starts.