1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPN: Jerry Jones would like Spencer to return

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by NewsBot, Sep 25, 2013.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot New Member

32,608 Messages
    316 Likes Received
    [IMG]
    IRVING, Texas – Dallas Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones would like to see defensive end Anthony Spencer in a Cowboys’ uniform again. Spencer, who was placed on injured reserve on Wednesday and faces knee surgery in the near future, is set to be a free agent after the season. Spencer turns 30 in January and will be coming off a potentially difficult rehab if he chooses to have the microfracture surgery. Spencer’s agent, Jordan Woy, said a decision on what kind of surgery Spencer will have has not been determined.

Continue reading...
  2. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    screw that jerrah...MOVE ON man....it's over with this guy
    dallasdave and The Natural like this.
  3. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

4,648 Messages
    375 Likes Received
    me too, at the minimum salary.
    big dog cowboy likes this.
  4. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,560 Likes Received
    Wether we want to admit it or not, this is the best answer.
  5. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,993 Messages
    7,735 Likes Received
    That's a pretty nice quote.

khiladi and Seven like this.
  6. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,890 Messages
    2,359 Likes Received
    this is the quote of a man who has no business being the GM of an NFL team that wants to stay competitive year in and year out

Jones said he does not regret the decision to tag Spencer back in March.
    “That’s just the life we’ve chosen, so I don’t in any way second guess the commitment we made to him because of the caliber of player he was,” Jones said. “We certainly would like to have those dollars, but I’d rather have Spencer than those dollars. I can’t look at it as the obvious. Anytime something doesn’t work out, I can’t look at it that way. On the other hand, I can tell if anybody was going to get the money under these circumstances, I’m glad it’s him. He’s worked hard. He’s that quality individual and that quality player.”
  7. bbailey423

bbailey423 Well-Known Member

5,034 Messages
    611 Likes Received
    as cut throat as that sounds....I agree with you. This is PRO sports. Not everyone gets gold fish and orange slices at the end of every game. There is a clear winner and loser. And if you are not getting better, you are getting worse. There is no in between. We are a .500 outfit because of the mentality of Jerry Jones. I hate pointing this out after a positive START to the season. But once again....Jerry shows who he TRULY is. So don't blame me for rolling my eyes at Jerry.....I am rolling my eyes because nothing when it comes to Jerry ever truly changes.
  8. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,890 Messages
    2,359 Likes Received

exactly

jerry the GM has an "oh well, stuff happens" attitude because he is also the owner and knows he will never get fired

runnung an NFL team is a business, treat it like one
  9. Idgit

31,993 Messages
    7,735 Likes Received
    All he's saying is that you don't fret over sunk costs. That's Business 101. And then he throws in a nice compliment for one of his better players. It's nice that he's able to keep the injury in context and still compliment a good player publicly. Orange slices and Goldfish implies that he thinks 'everybody's a winner, no matter what.' That's not what he's saying here, though.

There's plenty of eye rolling to do over Jerry Jones, but this isn't it.
  10. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,750 Messages
    10,044 Likes Received
    The sad news is his son is no better.
  11. Idgit

31,993 Messages
    7,735 Likes Received
    What would you prefer the owner/GM say in this situation?
  12. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,750 Messages
    10,044 Likes Received
    Absolutely nothing.

First, I don't want an Owner/GM and I certainly don't want the GM to be the daily mouthpiece for the media.
    tantrix1969 and Seven like this.
  13. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,721 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    I want Spencer gone from the Cowboys for good.
    newlander and Cowboy06 like this.
  14. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    correct.....but to WASTE that much dough.....my gosh, we could have had a NUMBER of good young free agents for that amount: 2-3 to be exact....he's a billionaire bumpkin, he really is.
  15. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    When people talk about Jerry being too loyal to his players, this is the kind of example they're talking about.

It's time to move on but if by some chance Spencer would return on a minimum, you take that. You do not pay any sort of decent amount at all with a knee like that.

Spencer had a great season but it was by far his best and going forward you can't just hope and pray he gets back and doesn't further damage his knee in the future.
    CopenhagenCowboy likes this.
  16. neosapien23

neosapien23 Well-Known Member

2,777 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    What else is Jerry suppose to say? Nah Spencer is done for, he will never be the same. Selvie will give us much better play for a lot less. I think Spencer will not be a Cowboy next year unless he takes a big paycut, something like 2 million a year so he can reprove himself all over again.
  17. dallasdave

2,721 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    This is so true, the nightmare with Spencer is over, rest in peace.
  18. Idgit

31,993 Messages
    7,735 Likes Received
    Meh, this is nothing more than second-guessing. There's zero actual reason to blame the team for Spencer's injury. They rolled the dice on a franchise tag when they didn't think they had a viable alternative in place, then did a great job finding some alternative players. It was the right call, and Jerry's right to not second guess it just because the guy got hurt.
  19. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,142 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    No thanks, time to move on.
    dallasdave likes this.
  20. dallasdave

2,721 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    Very true.