1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPN: Jerry Jones would like Spencer to return

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by NewsBot, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

32,135 Messages
    7,851 Likes Received
    See, now you're Spicoli'ing again. :)
  2. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,721 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    All I need are the surf, some suds, and the two babes on my arms .
  3. Idgit

32,135 Messages
    7,851 Likes Received
    And Anthony Spencer on another roster? :)
  4. dallasdave

2,721 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    Yeah, and the Cowboys and Cowboy cheerleaders,a billion dollars. Yeah that should do me for a while
  5. Idgit

32,135 Messages
    7,851 Likes Received
    visionary, I'll break from my policy this once to ask directly why you stopped posting in this thread? After calling jobber 'disingenous' and suggesting passively that I was deliberately 'mis-stating the truth,' it'd have been nice to get a mea-culpa, or at least a sensible pivot to your original argument.

It's hardly a requirement, but it's good form on a message board when you have a brain-fart. We all have them from time to time.
  6. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

4,003 Messages
    1,538 Likes Received
    IMO, JJ is playing the mind game in a few ways (#'s 2&3 stick out to me):

1) he is pretending that the $10m is no big deal to the media, and thus, us as the fans...$10m is a pretty big deal, but it was the right move at the time; no one knew he was going to have a season-ending issue...money well spent? no, of course not...money well invested at the time? yes....had we given him a 3 or 4 year deal, who knows how that would have worked out (will he be able to come back?)
    2) He is saying nice things because what if spencer comes back healthy in the spring and WANTS to play for Dallas at a reasonable deal? the guy has talent, you can't shut the door on that, especially since he has history in dallas - the "what if" is now still in play; had JJ come out and said thins like "we wasted the money", "Selvie proved that we don't need him", etc., then you have a po'd player who won't sign with you, but will have a chip on his shoulder when he is playing for Philly, NY, or Wash next year
    3) Other players in the league see that JJ loves his own players and generally takes care of them; it likely makes it more palatable for them to come to Dallas as a FA (see: Waters); sending this type of message can only be good
    4) we don't know if he is just playing games as a GM, although past history suggests that he sometimes doesn't know what he is doing

I personally will give him the benefit of the doubt on this one...Spencer has been a cowboy, and could be one in the future...you have to hedge your bets some times, although the franchise bet didn't pay off....I know JJ likes him some mic time, but I can't see him having the same conversation right now about Ratliff if he ended up on IR
    Idgit and big dog cowboy like this.
  7. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,652 Messages
    5,563 Likes Received
    Really good post.
  8. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,866 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Franchise player level? This is the problem with some Cowboy fans, of which Jerry Jones is the founding member. Anthony Spencer had 11 whole sacks at $805,000 a pop. He played well enough, but enough to build a franchise around? Cowboys fans and their owner have an over-inflated sense of their 8-8 team's "best" players.

Moreover Jerry Jones doesn't have a sense of when to let go. Anthony Spencer has never been reliable throughout his career and he happens to have his best year-- again a whopping 11 sacks-- in a contract year (red flag) at age 30 (red flag), in a season where DeMarcus Ware was playing with one arm and a bad groin and still had more sacks. When I think franchise player, give me JJ Watt or Jared Allen. Guys who've done it time and again.

Franchising Spencer was a gamble last year and a bigger gamble this year. Most other GM's would get the benefit of a doubt, but Jones does this over and over. A half dozen of the 90's stars, Terence Newman, Jay Ratliff, you can see it happening again with Miles Austin, and there's definitely more.

I'm only glad they didn't sign a huge long term deal.
  9. Idgit

32,135 Messages
    7,851 Likes Received
    It was already covered earlier in the thread, but, after the extension discussions bogged down relatively early in the offseason, the team clearly decided to franchise Anthony Spencer based off of their internal proscouting evaluation of his play the prior year and the projection of the coaches as to how effective he'd be in the new defense. This wasn't just Jerry Jones not having a sense of when to let go.

And 'only' 11 whole sacks from the SOLB position is nothing to sneeze at. By 'franchise player' I'm obviously referring to a player you'd use the franchise tag on, and not necessarily a guy you build your franchise around. Spencer was never worth and was never going to get a deal in the ~$10M+/season range.

You're wrong to say that AS has not been reliable throughout his career. He's been a very consistent and very reliable player. It's always a gamble to give one player a one-year $10M+ payout, but as far as players go, AS was a relatively safe one to take the risk with. He's been very good, for a long time, he was coming off his best statistical season. He had a history of staying on the field. He was on the right side of 30, and he was moving to a system that the coaches thought would benefit him rather than hurt him. And, if you really want to consider a contract year a significant factor, he'd have been playing in another contract-year situation.

I know, it's fun to blame Jerry Jones for things outside his control. Personally, I'd prefer it if we just agreed to blame him for the dozens of dumb things he actually does, and not for a health problem that cropped up for an otherwise good, healthy player *after* he received the franchise tag.
  10. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,866 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    The injury was part of the risk of franchising a 30 year old player who happened to have the best season of his six year career. He's never been more than a solid player, and some kind of a let down was to be expected. Giving him the huge raise he received was overkill, especially with the team headed for cap Hell in 2014 with Bryant to sign and Ratliff and Austin to cut.

Jerry Jones never learns when to cut ties, and this is just further evidence of that. With Jerry Jones, there's always some excuse. Haley, Novacek, Johnston, Emmitt, Aikman, Pup, Coryatt, Pickens, Ismail, OJ Santiago, Barber, Ratliff, and now with Austin and Spencer, the list grows. What other NFL GM's does this "fluke" of paying players who suddenly develop season-ending and or chronic injuries consistently happen to?

In Jerry's mind, he's finding diamonds in the rough and paying them what they are worth. He needs to hire a better gemologist.
    tantrix1969 and visionary like this.
  11. DCBoysfan

DCBoysfan Hardwork and Dedication Zone Supporter

4,538 Messages
    218 Likes Received
    I don't see him coming back, I see Dallas addressing the DE position early in the draft.
  12. Hook'em#11

Hook'em#11 Well-Known Member

2,773 Messages
    278 Likes Received
    Why? Why bring this guy back? I see no reason. Not like he is the missing piece to this defense being great. He is an old player , gets hurt too much IMO and can be replaced. Dallas should've let him walk. Get a young healthy boy in there that can soak up the new defense and run with it. This FO always seems so scared of everything in regards to younger players and the keep older players beyond their time. And Dallas gets nowhere. Meanwhile, other teams get other players, excel sometimes. Yet, Dallas stays stagnant.
    visionary and dallasdave like this.
  13. dallasdave

2,721 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    Thank You, Well said, good post.:D
  14. Idgit

32,135 Messages
    7,851 Likes Received
    Not recently. We're cutting older players left and right in favor of younger ones. Look what we went into the season with at S, for example.. We do have Crawford coming back, and Bass, who they seem to like quite a bit, too. We'll draft another DL pretty high next year, and are probably going to let Rat walk. Hatcher is a question mark in my book, depending what he wants to get paid.

Anthony Spencer makes sense at the right price. We'd need insurance v. the microfracture surgery, though, if he can't come back. I suspect, though, that it's going to be difficult to get him to accept the right price, given the trouble we had reaching terms on an extension back when he was healthy. Either way, the public intimation by Jones that AS will be back and would be a quality player we'd be interested in at the right price doesn't cost us anything, and it's a nice gesture for the Spencer camp to hear. Nothing to be upset about, anyway.
  15. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,904 Messages
    2,375 Likes Received

great post
    jerry is a football idiot and everyone with an iota of sense knows it

of course, then there are those that defend him.....
  16. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

6,222 Messages
    2,014 Likes Received
    I agree.
  17. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

9,024 Messages
    2,034 Likes Received
    Yup too loyal. This is where i think he faults.

Spencer is very good but Dallas has a cheaper younger guy in Selvie who is basically giving you the production that Spencer wouldve given you. Unless Spencer is willing to take a low salary then its time to move on, Give up thought about him taking minimum. Thats never going to happen.
  18. dallasdave

2,721 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    Spencer=return to sender=the address unknown.
  19. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,017 Messages
    1,903 Likes Received
    It was a buyer's market for DEs. We overpaid by about 50%,even if he played every game.