1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

ESPN Mankins news- Kaczur done for yr?

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by dbair1967, Aug 14, 2010.

1. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I hadnt heard about this:

Mankins' agent: Patriots have lost him
    August, 14, 2010 Aug 1412:31PM ETEmail Print Comments14 By Tim GrahamDon't assume just because we haven't heard from two-time Pro Bowl guard Logan Mankins in a while that he has softened his stance on not wanting to play for the New England Patriots anymore.

Mankins' agent, Hank Bauer, delivered some ominous words about the situation Friday night.

"They have totally lost this player mentally," Bauer told Boston Globe reporter Albert Breer. "For this young man to work like he has and play for the club for five years, and be promised he'd be taken care of, and to throw the offer they did across the table? It was never, ever a five-year deal. They wanted six years, they wanted seven. They have to do what they have to do, and we'll do what we have to do."

In an interview with ESPNBoston.com's Mike Reiss in June, Mankins said "I want to be traded. I don't need to be here any more."

Mankins is not holding out because he's not under contract. Quirky rules for the uncapped season switched him from unrestricted free agency to restricted, giving the Patriots serious leverage.

But Mankins might have gotten some when his replacement, Nick Kaczur, suffered a potentially serious back injury that could wipe out his season. The Patriots are down to third-stringer Dan Connolly at left guard.

The Patriots have until Sunday to present Mankins' camp with a letter of intent to place him on the roster exempt list, a mechanism that would allow the Patriots to sign somebody else for their 80-man roster. Players on the roster exempt list must sit out the first three games after signing a contract.

Bauer has told Boston reporters he hasn't spoken to the Patriots since May.

"They don't care," Bauer told Breer. "I would expect them to do everything nasty that they can."
  2. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,905 Messages
    1,369 Likes Received
    Sounds like they're going to have to give in and give up some serious money to get Mankins back in there, even with this injury.