1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

ESPN: Matt Mosley remembers Texas Stadium

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Apr 9, 2010.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,475 Messages
    3,313 Likes Received
    Texas Stadium to come tumbling down

April, 9, 2010 Apr 9
    9:00
    AM ET

By Matt Mosley

I was 10 years old when I saw my first Dallas Cowboys game at Texas Stadium on Oct. 9, 1983, against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Dallas staved off the winless Bucs when fullback Timmy Newsome took a short pass from Danny White and turned it into a 52-yard touchdown with less than a minute left in regulation. Rafael Septien won the game in overtime with a 42-yard field goal.

At halftime, Roger Staubach was inducted into the Cowboys' famed Ring of Honor. It was a remarkable afternoon and White paid tribute to Staubach with his late heroics and huge passing day. On Thursday, I drove by the iconic stadium for the last time. I'm not really the sentimental type, but it was a little strange to imagine how dramatically the landscape will change when Texas Stadium is imploded Sunday at 7 a.m. ET.

This is where I watched a couple of amazing SMU-Baylor games in the early 1980s, when the Pony Express was facing off with linebacker Mike Singletary. And in Nov. 1996, I took my future wife on our first date at -- where else -- Texas Stadium. I believe Lake Highlands High School hung on to beat Waco High in a playoff game that day.

Here's another favorite memory of Texas Stadium that I wrote about for ESPNDallas.com on Thursday. And by the way, you can watch the implosion live on ESPN3.com on Sunday morning from 7-9 a.m. ET. I'm not particularly interested in watching the implosion, in part, because waking up at 5 a.m. local time doesn't seem all that appealing on a Sunday.

Cowboys Stadium is already one of the most recognizable facilities in the nation. But for several generations of Cowboys fans, Texas Stadium holds a lot of memories.