1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPN: Monte Kiffin says Cowboys defense needs improvment

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by NewsBot, Sep 11, 2013.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot New Member

36,988 Messages
    406 Likes Received
    [IMG]
    IRVING, Texas -- The Cowboys' defense forced six turnovers in their season-opening victory over the New York Giants. That might be the only good thing that happened. Quarterback Eli Manning threw for 450 yards and four touchdowns. The Giants had three receivers who each had over 100 yards receiving. After one week, the Cowboys are ranked 30th in the NFL after allowing 478 yards and rank last in average yards allowed per play at 9.94. While yes, the Cowboys won the game, with their defense making some game-saving plays, including Brandon Carr's interception return for a touchdown with 1:50 remaining in the game, it felt like the team could have done better.

Continue reading...
  2. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

3,154 Messages
    537 Likes Received
    Yes, it's the first game of the season, every teams defense needs improvement. Also, take into consideration that this is the first year for the new Cowboy coaches and they are still putting their system together.
  3. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

33,470 Messages
    9,412 Likes Received
    They also scored twice, and strangled the running game. Besides that, though, what did you think of the defensive performance, everybody?
  4. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,886 Messages
    914 Likes Received
    I liked the white jerseys, a lot of them, around the ball. I like the swarm attitude BUT it needs to be reigned in a little. We definitely had some guys out of position. It reminded me of pre-season ST's. (Every year) Everyone looking to make a play to make the team which in turn meant several out of position and whiffing.

Maybe with a little time the guys will learn to trust the scheme/system and with the athletes we have it could be very good.

Against the grain........I really liked the DL performance. Screams Marinelli. Head to head, I thought we played on the other side of the ball all night.
  5. dallasdave

3,154 Messages
    537 Likes Received
    Cowboys defense will look better this week against KC and the Sunshine band.
  6. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

33,470 Messages
    9,412 Likes Received
    I agree. There definitely is a lot to clean up. Plenty to be critical of. I was just riffing on the fact that we did more good beyond just the 6 takeaways. And the fact that 6 takeaways is, really, all we should have needed.
  7. kruddy

kruddy Duffer

131 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    We have had a sorry pass defense for many seasons but I feel we are not far off. By the middle of the year I really believe we will turn the corner.
  8. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

5,944 Messages
    1,610 Likes Received
    LBs need to learn not to bite so hard on the play action pass. That was one of the big reasons shEli got his yards.
  9. kruddy

kruddy Duffer

131 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Our linebackers are the least of our problems, we need confidence and high self esteem to be able to change the way the rest of the football world sees us.
  10. Cumart21

Cumart21 Active Member

319 Messages
    196 Likes Received
    Great start for the D but plenty of room for improvement. The mentality of forcing turnovers is there and this defense will come to expect it, which makes me very excited. The return of Spencer will help big time as well. Obviously the secondary needs to improve.
  11. dallasdave

3,154 Messages
    537 Likes Received
    Our LBs our good, Claiborne and Allen need to step up this game.
    1LoyalCowboyFan likes this.
  12. dallasdave

3,154 Messages
    537 Likes Received
    This week the defense has to stop Charles.
  13. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

4,356 Messages
    1,721 Likes Received
    in other news, water is wet
    but waters is gonna rain down the pain on the chiefs
  14. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and brew... Staff Member

21,487 Messages
    2,243 Likes Received
    This defense has to get better and fast. That is way too many yards to be giving up (win or not) and ultimately if things don't change, we'll be on the outside looking in. Long way to go and we have time to fix things.