1. Like videos? Check out DirectDamage.com!

News: ESPN - NFC East Blog: Crowded Cowboys O-line is a Good Thing

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by wittenacious, Mar 16, 2012.

1. wittenacious

wittenacious Active Member

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Dan Graziano's take on Livings and the O-line, in general, now under Bill Callahan. Good read, I thought. Here's a snippet:

So before anyone overreacts to the signing of former Bengals guard Nate Livings to a five-year deal that includes $6.2 million in guaranteed money, think about what the Cowboys are trying to do here.

Pro Football Focus
    doesn't like Livings one bit. Here's their review of the signing:

Livings has the size that Dallas covets on the O-line, but little else positive to bring to the table.
    -24.0 since he took over as starter for the Bengals in 2009.

I also asked my old friend and colleague
    LeCharles Bentley, the former NFL player who runs his own offensive line academy in Ohio, about Livings. LeCharles said he's a big, physical guy who can help in the run game and is a good locker room presence. Not a perfect player, but one who can help. And if he clicks with the new line coach, maybe he outplays his résumé.

So here's my thinking on the Cowboys and the guards:

read more: http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/37171/crowded-cowboys-o-line-is-a-good-thing
  2. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

34,958 Messages
    5,025 Likes Received
    This blog is a must-read.
  3. TheRat

TheRat The Silly Willy

1,907 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    kind of annoyed by the 6.2 million guaranteed. It should really be half that.
  4. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

11,254 Messages
    2,630 Likes Received
    Why are we paying these JAGs so much money...
  5. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,671 Messages
    1,000 Likes Received
    this. add their salaries together and we could have made a run at nicks or grubbs.
  6. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

25,990 Messages
    19,223 Likes Received
    There's validity to what he's saying but you'll never convince me that this is the best way to address your most critical issue on the team.

You want to throw numbers at an area and hope competition breeds success, do it in the secondary. But fix the OL once and for all.
  7. BHendri5

BHendri5 Well-Known Member

3,300 Messages
    88 Likes Received
    so you'd rather use up all the money on one guy? have no depth, no competition, there for no success. if that one guy gets hurt then what?
    We are diong it the right way with the right kind of players. Our Oline coach is watching film has watched film evaluating and his picking the guys that he feels will fit his blocking schemes, if they do not pan out so be it we have another guy to that will fit, that is what numbers get you.
  8. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

5,260 Messages
    937 Likes Received
    its a reflection of how many positions along offensive line that are not set. Dallas is doing what they did years ago when we had no CBs...they just started throwing numbers at it (year goodrich was drafted).
  9. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received

.....how did THAT work out? uH..HUH.........:bang2:
  10. JoeCorrado

JoeCorrado Active Member

1,972 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    This talk is much like was discussed when we signed Kosier. Everybody was like, Kyle who? He was a solid addition for years.

Have a little faith.
  11. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

3,541 Messages
    562 Likes Received
    I was hoping the team would hold onto Kyle Kosier for one more season.

It looks like hitting the $1 million dollar performance escalator last season made him too expensive to trust.

Looking at the PFF grades (+1.0 to -1.0 is avg), Kosier had 6 above average games and 6 below average games last season.

Nate Livings also had 6 above average games and 6 below average games last year, though he played an extra game (wildcard playoffs).

Dallas will be banking on finding a way to get the above average player to show up more consistently.

If Livings doesn't play better, he'll be a candidate for release in 2013 or 2014.

Mackenzy Bernadeau only saw significant snaps in two games last season and he graded above average in both (+1.6, +1.8).

He's only 26, whereas Livings is 30.

Evan Mathis was a 29 year old journeyman when he signed with Philadelphia last year. He had the best season of his career, being the highest rated G on PFF and the highest rated offensive player on the Eagles.

The Cowboys are hoping one or both of Livings and Bernadeau can have similar career years in Big D.
  12. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

5,117 Messages
    933 Likes Received

this is what is so infuriating, Jones has been sweeping around the edges of this OL mess for years and years. Every year he either tries some low-investment long shots or some pissant incremental change hoping to strike gold with the new "combination" of players,,, and here we are are again betting another entire season on Jones ability to roll the hard six.

going out and getting a quality center would make a big difference,,,
  13. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,243 Messages
    314 Likes Received
  14. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

8,384 Messages
    940 Likes Received
    Quantity over quality. Let's hope it works.
  15. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

25,990 Messages
    19,223 Likes Received
    I'm with you, bro. I don't care how they try to rationalize it. The offensive line is too big of an issue to try to fix it on the cheap like this. They needed to get aggressive. Make the big FA splash there.

I'm left to hope we find great value early in the draft. Otherwise I'm thinking it's another year of not being good enough up front to contend.

It could work, but it's a gamble. This front office doesn't have a good track record with gambling. I don't know why you'd try to get cute like this with your greatest need. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it.
  16. casmith07

casmith07 Attorney-at-Zone

28,209 Messages
    3,599 Likes Received
    Don't read the comments sheesh. Where do some of these guys get their ideas?