1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPN NFCE: Morris Claiborne: Cowboys in microcosm

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Nov 13, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,233 Messages
    7,064 Likes Received
    Nov 12
    3:50
    PM ET
    By Dan Graziano | ESPN.com

Claiborne was flagged twice for being offsides, which is as ridiculous a call as a cornerback can get. There's no excuse for lining up offsides at that position, and it's completely avoidable by simply looking at the nearest official and asking, before the ball is snapped, whether you're over the line or not. You see high school players do this.

But Claiborne's miscues speak to the issue of what this Cowboys team is -- a work in progress. Sure, they're in contention thanks to the struggles the Giants have had against the AFC North and the fact that their division might once again be won with a not-so-spectacular record. And sure, the remainder of the schedule, with its five home games and only one opponent that currently sports a winning record, looks inviting. But these Cowboys are 4-5, and there's ample reason to wonder whether they're a good enough team to take advantage of a favorable schedule the rest of the way.

Claiborne stands as the example because he's a vitally important player for the Cowboys but not a reliable one. And if you look across their lineup, on both sides of the ball, you see a lot of that. Claiborne, Dez Bryant and basically all of the offensive linemen are a few examples of players on whom the Cowboys have no choice but to rely heavily but whose performance can waver from week to week, quarter to quarter or even play to play. Some would add quarterback Tony Romo to that list. And when you throw in guys like DeMarco Murray and Miles Austin, incredibly important players on whose health the Cowboys cannot rely, the list starts to grow very long.

There is some talent on this roster, but a lot of it is underdeveloped. And a player like Claiborne, who's likely to be an excellent cornerback in the NFL before long, is still learning on the job. The Cowboys' defense is built largely around the idea of him and Brandon Carr as shutdown corners, and Sunday was just the latest reminder that they can't be certain what they're going to get with him in a given game. He may lock in and play great over the final seven games. He may look lost every week. He may have three great games and four lousy ones. There's just no way to know at this point in his career.

Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/45586/morris-claiborne-cowboys-in-microcosm
  2. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,573 Messages
    150 Likes Received
    Pretty right on story IMO. I like reading Graziano.
  3. Tenkamenin

Tenkamenin Well-Known Member

1,253 Messages
    172 Likes Received
    In all of my years of watching football I can't recall a corner being called offsides...That was bizarre :banghead:
  4. JerryFan

JerryFan Active Member

1,243 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    I don't remember the 2nd offside on MO but the first one he didn't line up offsides he jumped offsides.
  5. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,760 Messages
    10,050 Likes Received
    Morris will have a better 2nd half of the season. I'm not worried about him.
  6. dfense

dfense Well-Known Member

2,778 Messages
    334 Likes Received
    Kind of harsh on Claiborne. He is a rookie and as far as I've seen, this is his first bad game. I'm sure he'll learn from it.
  7. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

5,493 Messages
    595 Likes Received
    Those early defensive penalties in the game were driving me BONKERS! :bang2:
  8. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

32,012 Messages
    7,760 Likes Received
    Graziano doesn't really know what he's talking about, but, I agree with him that the offsides calls on a CB are pretty bad.
  9. Prossman

Prossman Active Member

946 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    He is a rookie and rookies have bad games from time to time. Im not worried about him at all. he is a player and going to be a great one in the near future.