1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPN NFCE: Ratliff's ankle and the Cowboys' pass rush

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Aug 27, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,087 Messages
    5,638 Likes Received
    Aug 27
    1:31
    PM ET
    By Dan Graziano | ESPN.com

Dallas Cowboys nose tackle Jay Ratliff sprained his ankle in Saturday night's preseason game, and since the regular-season opener against the New York Giants is just nine days from today, it's obviously fair to think Ratliff won't be able to play in that game. But Ratliff's not wearing a protective boot or anything like that, and the Cowboys are saying they haven't yet ruled him out of the opener.

Ratliff matters because of what he brings to the Cowboys' interior pass rush. And without him they would not be as strong up front. This is accepted fact. But I saw some things in their game Saturday night that intrigued me about the pass rush, and I wasn't alone. Todd Archer writes that he noticed a wide variety of folks pressuring the quarterback Saturday night, with top pass-rusher DeMarcus Ware not even on the field, and speculates that Ware might get more help this season than he's used to getting from his teammates in the pass rush:

Since 2005, Ware's rookie season, the Cowboys have recorded 295 sacks. Ware has 99.5 of them, or 34 percent. When the Cowboys made the playoffs in 2006, '07 and '09, he never accounted for more than 34 percent of the defense's sacks.

Variety matters.
    What I saw Saturday night was a defensive coordinator in Rob Ryan who feels freer to try more things in the pass rush this year, scheme-wise.

Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/42383/ratliffs-ankle-and-the-cowboys-pass-rush
  2. Flinger

Flinger Active Member

783 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    ... if Ware only has between 10-15 sacks, people will declare that he is on the down side of his career. Scheme? What scheme? Other players? What other players? If the other guys combine for an additional 15-20 sacks, it will be Ware's fault.

Somehow, he didn't care enough... Somehow, he isn't the great leader LB's are... Somehow, he just doesn't have it any longer... Somehow, Butler was really better all along... Somehow, the tethered line was removed from Spencer and he was better all along...

It will be something ridiculous. Bet on it...
  3. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,163 Messages
    2,796 Likes Received
    If the defense gets 50 sacks, I could care less if Ware ends up with only 9 of them (I don't expect that to happen... Just sayin)
  4. proline

proline Active Member

1,377 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Unless the depth allows Ware to take a significant number of snaps off, I suspect his numbers will remain about the same or possibly increase. With his motor, he will take full advantage of any pressure created by others.
  5. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,513 Messages
    716 Likes Received
    Apparently Ratliff was working out in the weight room today and was standing on both feet. When he was out and about he used his crutches to get around but he wasn't wearing a boot nor was his ankle taped at all.

The other interesting nugget is that the team trainers believe that he will heal faster than expected because he already had a high ankle sprain injury in that ankle before. This is the same information that Stephen Jones said on 105.3 the fan I believe.

The trainers will re-evaluate him in a few days and go from there. The current prognosis is that the injury is not a confirmed high ankle sprain that will require the 2 weeks - 4 weeks.
  6. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,332 Messages
    835 Likes Received
    It was maybe just a roll.....
  7. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,465 Messages
    2,079 Likes Received
    not sure i understand this at all

he had a high ankle sprain so the second sprain will heal faster?

can you clarify?
  8. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,513 Messages
    716 Likes Received

I can't clarify because I am no doctor or trainer. However, that is what is reported by Broaddus and Spagnola.

I'm completely baffled about it but the medical guys are insistent on this. Broaddus said that he's never heard of that either but he was told the same thing from his sources in the training room.
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,625 Messages
    1,571 Likes Received
    I have never heard that either. So color me skeptical.

Sounds like it was not much more than a roll; barely qualifying as a HAS.

maybe for once we caught a break (pun intended)
  10. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,465 Messages
    2,079 Likes Received
    OK, thx