1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPN NFCE: So, Bill Callahan's title is interesting

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jan 12, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,498 Messages
    3,331 Likes Received
    Jan 12
    5:47
    PM ET
    By Dan Graziano

The Dallas Cowboys officially announced the hiring of assistant coaches Bill Callahan and Jerome Henderson, and the official press release came with a mild surprise. Callahan's title will be offensive coordinator/offensive line coach. We knew he was coming in to coach the offensive line (and Henderson to coach defensive backs), but "offensive coordinator" is a title that current Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett has held since 2007 and kept this past year even after moving into the big job.

There was much discussion toward the end of this season, as questionable in-game decisions mounted, about whether Garrett could or should be asked to continue handling his play-calling responsibilities as offensive coordinator along with the considerable responsibilities of the head coach. So the fact that Callahan gets the coordinator title is an eyebrow-raiser.

Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/35181/so-bill-callahans-title-is-interesting
  2. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

14,272 Messages
    255 Likes Received
    The effectiveness of the game to move along, just improved. No one coming onto the Dallas coaching staff, gets a paper title. Callahan will now both be paid as a Coordinator by this report, and be given workup/prep responsibilities as well. That will expand applications during games. Garrett will have a functional imput on selections for games now. That has to help..

and thanks for the legwork, WG. Yea, I'm saying you have beautiful legs.
  3. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

14,272 Messages
    255 Likes Received
    In The Fold
    Staff Hires Announced; Callahan Gets OC Title
    Rob Phillips

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/news.cfm?id=D4353D08-CAB6-D9E4-4C4C41D55660C990

IRVING, Texas- The Cowboys on Thursday announced the expected hirings of offensive line coach Bill Callahan and secondary coach Jerome Henderson.

Callahan's title also includes offensive coordinator, though there is no indication yet that head coach Jason Garrett will relinquish significant play-calling influence. Tight ends coach John Garrett and newly-retired offensive line coach Hudson Houck split pass-and-run coordinator titles last year, but their duties involved mostly game-planning during the week.

Callahan has no direct ties to Garrett, but both previously worked with Jon Gruden - Callahan as the Raiders' offensive coordinator from 1998-2001 and Garrett as the Buccaneers' backup quarterback under Gruden in 2004....
  4. StonetheCrow77

StonetheCrow77 Member

876 Messages
    3 Likes Received

What??? Head Coach Jason Garrett? Eveyone knows Jerruh runs the team. He makes the final call on just about everything and handicaps his head coaches.
  5. DCBoysfan

DCBoysfan Hardwork and Dedication Zone Supporter

4,304 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    This is smart, there is nothing wrong with JG delegating some OC duties.
  6. fairviewfarmer

fairviewfarmer Member

335 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    This is a bad hire if you're a Demarco Murray fan. Callahan will pass, pass, pass, and then pass some more. He was lousy at Nebraska and proved that Frank Solich is a better coach than him. typical JJ and JG hire: head scratcher. Callahan is Bruce Coslet and Frank Verducci rolled into one. Remember those two clowns in 2002? This deal with callahan isn't going to end well.
  7. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

74,989 Messages
    1,568 Likes Received
    Is that why as OC of Oakland they had a very good rushing team? Not to mention his time with the Jets were they put together a good rushing team.

Your knowledge of Callahan evidently does not further than Nebraska if you look at his career as an OC he has put together some good offenses.
  8. fairviewfarmer

fairviewfarmer Member

335 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    wait and see.:)
  9. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,833 Messages
    1,612 Likes Received
    Maybe you should research Callahan as an OC in the NFL a little more thoroughly. Also, I'm pretty sure the duties will be shared anyway...no that helps Murray.

Nevertheless, Callahan's stint as a college head coach does not factor in here nearly as much as his NFL OC background.

I'm in more of a wait and see mode.
  10. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,835 Messages
    5,414 Likes Received
    Considering Callahan won't be calling the plays, it's a moot point anyway.
  11. DFWJC

21,833 Messages
    1,612 Likes Received
    True dat...
  12. Doomsday101

74,989 Messages
    1,568 Likes Received
    I always do. I'm not ensuring anything but your view comes about by his time as HC at Nebraska I'm looking at his overall career and what he has done. Wade Phillips is a great defensive coach hard to tell that last year when the defense struggled as the HC/DC. Callahan in this role has had success over all in his career
  13. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,443 Messages
    197 Likes Received
    All I remeber is watching a few Jets games this year and thinking I was glad we didn't have their offense.
  14. 03EBZ06

03EBZ06 Need2Speed

7,979 Messages
    411 Likes Received
    I think their offense woes has more to do with inept Sanchez, not Callahan.
  15. Doomsday101

74,989 Messages
    1,568 Likes Received
    I agree. Sanchez missed a lot of oppertunities through out a game.
  16. DFWJC

21,833 Messages
    1,612 Likes Received
    They rightly have no confidence in their QB, so it was worse than it may have been.

Swap Romo (or those better than Romo) and the Jets may have won a SB with that team.