1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPN NFCE: Williamson: Eight in the Box: Secondary status check

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jun 24, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,300 Messages
    3,169 Likes Received
    Jun 22
    12:00
    PM CT
    By Matt Williamson | ESPNDallas.com

How does each NFC East team look in the secondary, and what still needs to be done?

[IMG]Dallas Cowboys: Last offseason, the Cowboys used premium resources to acquire Brandon Carr in free agency and Morris Claiborne in the draft so they could be better equipped to play man coverage on the outside. Then this offseason, they went out and hired Cover 2 guru Monte Kiffin as their defensive coordinator. Kiffin supposedly will incorporate more man coverage into his play calls, but Carr and Claiborne are not ideal players for Cover 2, which will be Dallas’ base coverage. Still, these two, along with nickelback Orlando Scandrick and fourth-round pick B.W. Webb, give the Cowboys an excellent set of cornerbacks overall. Scheme notwithstanding, Claiborne should be much improved in his second season. Safety is another story though. This position was a huge weakness in 2012. Free-agent signee Will Allen is penciled in to start opposite Barry Church, who is highly unproven. The Cowboys used a third-round pick on J.J. Wilcox, but Allen is not starting material and Wilcox is extremely raw. Wilcox has a ton of ability and should be an immediate standout on special teams, but trusting him to read quarterbacks and route combinations as a rookie could be a disaster. To me, safety remains an immediate weakness for Dallas.

Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4709801/eight-in-the-box-secondary-status-check
  2. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,639 Messages
    1,106 Likes Received
    How do you talk about the safety position and not even mention Matt Johnson?
  3. onetrickpony

onetrickpony Member

719 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    It's real easy. He just writes stuff he has heard and does no research.
    Cumart21 likes this.
  4. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,757 Messages
    3,745 Likes Received
    Yeah, that was a pretty weak section, overall. He didn't put great work into that blurb, re: either the CBs or the Safeties.

Not that he has to be positive about the Safeties we've got on the roster, but he should at least know who they all are. The CBs, well, he's making assumptions about the coverages we'll be running that might well be bad assumptions.
  5. blackbull

blackbull Well-Known Member

1,284 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    You can either play cb or you can't. Spare me the advance excuses
  6. jobberone

jobberone Save the Snow Leopard Staff Member

34,980 Messages
    2,558 Likes Received
    I think you have the possibility of playing DB in this league if you have the physical attributes and talent as well as you can be coached and learn the game necessary to do so.
  7. Idgit

27,757 Messages
    3,745 Likes Received
    The system you're playing in makes a huge difference.
  8. blackbull

blackbull Well-Known Member

1,284 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    Well agree to disagree. I love b Carr but he's gettin 50 mil a year. Save it
  9. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

5,372 Messages
    350 Likes Received
    Wilcox was my second favorite pick in the draft,i bet he will start for us soon.
  10. Idgit

27,757 Messages
    3,745 Likes Received
    What the guy's getting paid is, obviously, a completely different argument.

The point remains that the system a CB is in has a huge impact on a particular player's ability to play well in it. There's nothing to save, it's just an exceedingly obvious truth. I'm happy to let you agree to disagree about it, but you're just wrong on this one. It's not much of a debate.