1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

ESPN: NFLPA files collusion suit vs. NFL

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Reality, May 23, 2012.

1. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,789 Messages
    2,524 Likes Received
    This is brilliant and I am dead serious. Kudos to the NFLPA. You just gained a fan for this one.
  2. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,580 Messages
    27 Likes Received
    Yea Mara and Goodell just shoved their foot so far in their mouth it came out their butt, especially Mara.

The video of Mort explaining what's going on was interesting, especially the part where he mentioned the NFLPA using it as leverage. I'm not sure I follow that though, why use it as leverage when you can sue and completely change the league in favor of the players?
  3. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

28,317 Messages
    1,808 Likes Received
    Man! New Jersey really catches it on the chin doesn't it? :laugh1:
  4. wittenacious

wittenacious Active Member

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Worms ... can ... opened. The NFLPA will gladly root around inside and take all they can now. And I can't blame 'em at all. As others have said, "Nice job, Mara." You rat bastid putz.
  5. Hostile

118,789 Messages
    2,524 Likes Received
    It sure is. I was saying De Smith was either crazy to go along with this, or waiting to strike, and he was. I tip my hat to him. I really do.
  6. Hostile

118,789 Messages
    2,524 Likes Received
    Right now, if Jerry and Dan joined they could own the NFL.
  7. LeonDixson

LeonDixson Illegitimi non carborundum

9,666 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    I'm all for this lawsuit. If it actually gets to court, things could get very interesting.

EDIT: I was leaning towards the league's side during the CBA negotiations, but I hope they get taken to the cleaners now.
  8. rickster14

rickster14 Member

143 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    If the NFLPA wins (or if there is a settlement), Jerry could argue that he does not have to pay b/c it has already been shown that he was not part of the collusion. NICE
  9. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,580 Messages
    27 Likes Received
    Personally, if I was an owner, I'd be calling up Mara right now and chewing his *** out. His big mouth gave credence to all that is going on. If not for him, I'm not so sure it would be as solid a case for the NFLPA as it seems to be.
  10. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    This is the hubris of Goodell and Mara coming home to roost.

Watch Jerry and Danny take the blame from other fans around the league. This is just ignorant.
  11. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,004 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Of course, the NFLPA stabbed the Cowboys and Redskins in the back when they agreed to the fine. Now they are turn-coating and backstabbing the NFL in turn.

I think the best thing the Redskins and Cowboys could do is join the suit, but only on the premise that the Cowboys and Redskins wouldn't be responsible for any damages the NFLPA would get. Only the teams that agreed to fine the Cowboys and Redskins.
  12. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,740 Messages
    3,936 Likes Received
    Any contract made under duress is not valid.
  13. DEA_dad

DEA_dad Member

115 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    Hos, do you think the NFLPA baited the trap last year and were waiting to spring it on them? Was this a brilliant strategy that was set in place that was executed rather flawlessly by the NFLPA?
  14. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Me too. Good to see them taking a stand.
  15. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,694 Messages
    1,125 Likes Received
    What if damages are changes to the free agency system; no salary cap, no restrictions type of thing? That could be seen as harm from their point of view which would be a couple of reasons why they wouldn't join the nflpa. They also don't want to make enemies out of their own business partners.
  16. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,004 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    That won't happen. Even the NFLPA knows that is a bad idea.
  17. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,129 Messages
    1,159 Likes Received
    I'm not Hos, but I don't think that's the point he was getting at. I think he was getting at the NFLPA agreeing to the fine for the Cowboys and Redskins so they could then use Mara and Goodell's own big mouths against them in this lawsuit.

YR
  18. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,913 Messages
    2,054 Likes Received
    The NFL is essentially an illegal organization. It is a violation of Right to Work laws, and it is a violation of compensation laws.

You can't prevent someone from working when they turn 18. You can't limit how much someone can make. You can't tell someone what city they have to work in. You can't make someone work for a specific company (or team) by law.

Unless......you have an antitrust exemption. The league positions itself as a single business entity with 32 franchises, but when each franchise is run so differently, and generates different streams of revenue, it's a tough case to make by law.

By colluding against the NFLPA, the owners have opened themselves up. Now, it is interesting that the players basically signed off on this collusion during the negotiations, but perhaps they will claim they were unaware of the level of collusion that occurred.

I'm tell you folks, the NFL is in trouble. Not now, or in the next five years, but it is going to change DRAMATICALLY. Between the concussion lawsuits, people pulling their kids out of football and into other sports, rules changes to address injuries, high schools and colleges dropping the sport out of fear of litigation, and the results of legal cases such as this, the game as we know it could evaporate before our eyes.

Enjoy football the way we know it while you can.
  19. DEA_dad

DEA_dad Member

115 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    Thanks YR! I was just debating in my head if this was a long term strategy by the NFLPA after they knew they were going to be forced into an agreement they didnt like or if the circumstances surrounding Mara opening his dumb mouth created a perfect storm to allow the NFLPA to open a can of whoop *** on the NFL.
  20. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,945 Messages
    1,015 Likes Received
    Wouldn't be duress, but they could make some sort of fraud argument. I wonder if they really even knew what they were approving at the time or if the NFL misled them.