1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

ESPN: NFLPA files collusion suit vs. NFL

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Reality, May 23, 2012.

1. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,380 Messages
    2,795 Likes Received
    I'm not entirely well-versed in the Sherman Act, etc. but I am almost 100% positive that your first sentence is pretty wrong, man.
  2. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,398 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    to me the best thing that could happen is the league lose its anti trust exemption and have to operate under a free market society..people might complain that it will be like baseball
    but baseball has had other teams win outside the yankees and red soxs.. the higher revenue teams can get talent but talent alone doesn't get the job done... it would provide a lot of stability and it may get us a cowboy tv channel and provide many unseen benefits.
  3. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I hear you. So sick of thew national media and fans of other teams treating us like we're the Yankees.....like we have some sort of built in advantage when none exists.

So **** it. Now we can have a payroll 50-100% above the average NFL team and they can have something real to cry about.
  4. bysbox1

bysbox1 Well-Known Member

1,197 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    I wonder if the NFLPA actually "agreed" to the fine. This is just suspicion, but I would guess that they told Goodell to "just do what you need to do" and did not agree or disagree, similar to what thye did with the New Orleans bountygate situation.

I see a lawsuit coming the bounty issue as well depending on how the appeal goes. Like I said, this is going to get really ugly.
  5. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,380 Messages
    2,795 Likes Received
    Problem with the bounty thing is that per the CBA, the NFL front office, and the Commissioner more specifically, has the authority to levy disciplinary action for breaches of conduct for players, coaches, etc. around the league.

The Saints really need to just make the best of a bad situation -- the NFL spent 2 years investigating it, collecting evidence, etc. and the Saints lied for 2 years. Now that they're fighting it makes it look even worse. Their only recourse is to attempt to invoke the Patriots' penalties from the spying/cheating scandal, and attempt to show that they were treated unfairly in the punishment process.
  6. NinePointOh

NinePointOh Well-Known Member

1,541 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    None of that was true two years ago?
  7. bysbox1

bysbox1 Well-Known Member

1,197 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    BINGO!

And now that they know what they were for (as a result of the appeal) they are suing them.

Like hostile said, this is Brilliant.
  8. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Not sure I understand what you're asking? Did I feel this way during the last negotiation? Yes. But not enough to lose football for a year.

Now I'm not sure I wouldn't trade a lost season for this type of system. Of course, if the whole thing is persued through the court system while the league plays on, maybe we won't ahve to.
  9. NinePointOh

NinePointOh Well-Known Member

1,541 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    My point was about people who sided passionately with the NFL in the last lawsuit but are now strangely cheering the NFLPA on. If that doesn't describe you, then you're not part of the group I was talking about in the post you responded to.
  10. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Most of those people including myself just wanted football. I'm not a union guy or a company guy. I'm a football guy.

Oh and for the record, I certainly wasn't sided passionatley for the NFL.
  11. kmd24

kmd24 Active Member

3,436 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/23/nflpa-contends-article-3-of-new-cba-doesnt-apply-to-collusion-case/

NFLPA contends Article 3 of new CBA doesn’t apply to collusion case
    Posted by Mike Florio on May 23, 2012, 5:21 PM EDT

Money quote:
  12. skinsscalper

skinsscalper Well-Known Member

5,440 Messages
    433 Likes Received
    Which is why the NFL approved the contracts (Cowboys and Redskins) to begin with. Had they rejected the contracts, a case for collusion could have been made before the CBA negotiations even began. They NFL rubber stamped all the deals and then turned around and punished the teams for contracts that they already approved.

The entire league is going to roast Goodell and Mara if this thing finds it's way into a courtroom. The losses are going to be in the billions (eventually) and league parity will be a thing of the past. If the NFL was pissed that the Cowboys and Redskins, somehow, gained a competitive advantage, just wait until they can actually outspend everybody. Mara and Goodell are beyond stupid.
  13. muck4doo

muck4doo Well-Known Member

1,994 Messages
    82 Likes Received
    Indeed. I wish I could have seen the look on Mara's face when he got the news today. I'm betting it was very smug yesterday.
  14. cajuncocoa

cajuncocoa Bleeding silver and blue Zone Supporter

2,417 Messages
    363 Likes Received
    Roger Goodell's credibility is being challenged from a couple of sides this week.
  15. dfan32

dfan32 Member

290 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    Are you suggesting he knew Mara would pull this crap prior to signing the CBA? I ask be cause I read that he signed away his right to sue the NFL over these matters as part of the CBA.

So the NFL covered themselves up with the agreement and then Mara reopened this can of worms?

:lmao2:

I would really love it if thats the way this all went down!
  16. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,945 Messages
    1,015 Likes Received
    I tend to agree with the NFL here. I think they have a pretty lock solid case.

This, to me, isn't about winning the legal case. This is a PR stunt, I think. The timing of the filing of the law suit is too rich.

I'm really surprised the NFLPA didn't know about the collusion -- or didn't know the full extent of this "secret cap." Even if the NFLPA doesn't have a case because of their waiver, it just looks bad on the NFL.
  17. LOBO7

LOBO7 Active Member

325 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    What he said.
  18. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I am a Braves fan they are in it or have a chance to be most years yet I still do not watch Baseball anymore because of the system. Their is no Drama the rest of the teams are the Minor league of the MLB
  19. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,580 Messages
    27 Likes Received
    Is it possible that the language used within the contract broke laws? I'm still not sure I understand what's going to happen.
  20. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,613 Messages
    1,878 Likes Received
    Very doubtful De Smith and Co. could have been smart enuff to see all this playing out this way. They are just taking advantage of the gift Mara presented them with. They'd be foolish not to jump all over this.