1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPN: Penalty might not kill cowboys' plans

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Ntegrase96, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,890 Messages
    1,390 Likes Received
    Mar 12
    4:39
    PM CT
    By Todd Archer

IRVING, Texas -- The NFL’s decision to dock the Cowboys $10 million in salary-cap space, as ESPN’s Adam Schefter has reported, wounds the team’s ability to improve in free agency but does not kill it.

The Cowboys can spread that hit over the next two years if they choose but they were already planning on re-working a number of contracts to create enough salary-cap space anyway.

The Cowboys have triggers in the contracts of cornerback Orlando Scandrick and tackle Doug Free that would save them roughly $8.6 million in cap space. Re-working the contracts of DeMarcus Ware and Dez Bryant could net about another $4 million in space.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4690667/penalty-might-not-kill-cowboys-plans
  2. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
  3. Ntegrase96

2,890 Messages
    1,390 Likes Received
    I'm with ya on that one.
  4. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Maybe we also end up signing Spencer to long term contract like Brooks got to help reduce the cap hit for this year as well?
  5. Rudy

Rudy Member

696 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    They would all restructure if the owners had super pacs.
  6. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,754 Messages
    624 Likes Received
    Problem with that strategy is that once Mario Williams sign (and I think he will in first week of FA) - there will be void of pass rushers. Which means as amazing as it sounds a team might pay more than what Spencer would get thru Franchise tag (8.8). In other words - timing for Spencer to become FA couldn't have been any better. Teams have loads of money and there is shortage of pass rushers. I don't think Spencer signs Franchise tender and I think only way Dallas gets a long term deal to pay above franchise limits. It would surprise me to see Spencer in cowboy uniform this season.
  7. NinePointOh

NinePointOh Well-Known Member

1,541 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    That makes no sense. Other teams can't offer anything to Spencer anyway because the franchise tag gives us exclusive negotiating rights. Trying to sign him to a long-term deal wouldn't expose him to the open market.

Also most rational people would very strongly doubt that Spencer's true value on the open market would be a top-5 salary at his position, and over $1.5 million more than what Ahmad Brooks just got. But if another team is stupid enough to pay him like Elvis Dumervil, they're more than welcome.
  8. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,263 Messages
    536 Likes Received
    I don't think we have much of a FA strategy to begin with. I think this year will be no different than the last 4 or 5. No big names in Dallas.

We will try and build through the draft and make a push towards 2013. I think JG has a 3 year plan, this is year 2.
  9. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

6,108 Messages
    620 Likes Received
    Three year plans are nice, but our QB is getting a little older, so is our best defensive player.....time to make the move....no more cheaping out on FA's.

They don't need to land Nicks, Carr and Mario, but one of those three would be nice along with a center (if it's not Nicks) and some more depth.
  10. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,263 Messages
    536 Likes Received
    I agree, but I don't own the Cowboys and I think JJ will stay the course and be cheap in FA.
  11. Rockytop6

Rockytop6 Well-Known Member

2,072 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    Since Roger makes up the rules as he goes along and although reworking contracts are an acceptable procedure, Roger might decide to penalize the Cowboys with a cap reduction next year for reworking contracts. Oh you think I have really lost my mind? I have! I know I'm being goofy, but Roger has become an uncontrollable Czar. His actions negatively reflect on the entire NFL. I don't know anything that has happened in the NFL that has disturbed me like this kind of action by him as well as the other owners.
  12. Ntegrase96

2,890 Messages
    1,390 Likes Received

The worst part is that it wasn't all gooddell. I'm sure you've seen the thread that the competition committee's chairman is John Mara, owner of the NY Giants.

But yes, the NFL approved the moves the Cowboys and Skins made in 2010, then waited to punish both organizations until they had leverage over the NFLPA (in the executive director's election year) to get them to help take action-- without the NFLPA's approval, the sanctions would have been a violation of the labor agreement.

At least those are the allegations that are starting to form.
  13. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,336 Messages
    1,390 Likes Received
    We can restructure and cut enough players to sign Carr, Nicks and Mario. It would be risky, but we could then take the cap hit to court and hopefully get a ruling in our favor a year or two down the road.

YR
  14. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,880 Messages
    1,477 Likes Received
    Generally playing it smart and safe while adding bargains in FA works best.

All that said, Dallas now need some playmakers.
    Our lack of top 10 picks the past decade is showing.

It is time to spend on that caliber of player.

Had we signed Nnamdi or Joseph last year and cut TNew we would have almost certainly made the playoffs and knocked the Giants out. That doesn't mean we win a SB of course but does mean we could have won a playoff game or even 2. This is a parity league and we took a butterknife to a gun fight with TNew covering Giants and Eagles WRs the last month.
  15. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,880 Messages
    1,477 Likes Received
    No, we can't. Mario is simply too expensive. If you mean any one guy I'd agree. If you mean Mario plus another "star" you are simply incorrect as the next few days will show.

Carr plus a Wells or something would be very doable.
    Nicks and Williams both want huge deals.
  16. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,430 Messages
    3,753 Likes Received
    As my mom told me as a little kid. Pick 1 toy and I'll get that for you but you can't have all 3. :laugh2:

So pick a toy.