1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPN: Rod Marinelli plans more man coverage

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by NewsBot, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

5,648 Messages
    739 Likes Received
  2. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

1,922 Messages
    468 Likes Received
    The utilization of Mo and Carr's abilities as man-to-man type CBs is a move that should have been made in year one. Expecting players to adjust to a system rather than the system adjusting to the player was a poor way to use those two from the start. It's no secret and never was one, that both are far more suited to press man coverage than zone coverage. This change should pay dividends in 2014. I recall reading last year how the players had stopped listening to Kiffin. Evidently, they knew his insistence on having Mo and Carr adjust to his system (instead of vice-versa) wouldn't work, so they eventually turned a deaf ear to his tutoring.
  3. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,842 Messages
    3,325 Likes Received
    Siz of one or a half a dozen of them whichever works out best.
  4. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great guitarists Staff Member

36,211 Messages
    3,173 Likes Received
    Are there any teams that don't used mixed coverage?
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
    adbutcher and BigStar like this.
  5. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,917 Messages
    4,782 Likes Received
    I don't think it's an adjustment. I think that's just the scheme.
  6. sideon

sideon Active Member

213 Messages
    100 Likes Received
    Every team mixes it up but good teams always go back to what works best. If you excel at M2M then you will start and end the game with it, but in between you will throw in some cover 2 or zone.
    theSHOW and BigStar like this.
  7. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasin Zone Supporter

3,266 Messages
    1,268 Likes Received
    The 2013 Dallas Cowboys = DET/NO,etc.:D
    adbutcher likes this.
  8. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great guitarists Staff Member

36,211 Messages
    3,173 Likes Received
    I suspect they all mix it up for lots of reasons but you do have to play to your player's strengths and minimize their weaknesses.
    BigStar likes this.
  9. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,651 Messages
    603 Likes Received
    It is anybody's guess as to what actually happened behind closed doors...but one explanation that ties recent events together could be that he tried to make changes and was overruled. And now in hindsight they are seeing that maybe those changes would have helped and that is why he is our new defensive coordinator. Just a guess, but it does make some sense.
  10. black label

black label Active Member

183 Messages
    192 Likes Received
  11. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,759 Messages
    372 Likes Received
    Three very good corners, so let's remove what they do best and rely on a front four starting a bunch of burger flippers to get to the QB. Essentially, that's what you were hoping for last year when they tried to force feed zone coverage.
    65fastback2plus2 and BigStar like this.
  12. Section444

Section444 Well-Known Member

4,246 Messages
    785 Likes Received
    You mean that we're going to tailor our defense to the strengths of our players? What a novel idea!
  13. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,258 Messages
    648 Likes Received
    You guys do knos that our CBs sucked in man to man too last year right ? Like were horrendous
  14. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,409 Messages
    1,880 Likes Received
    I love the fact that the Cowboys appear that they will be playing more man coverage but these guys need to work and improve in zone coverages as well. Much of that has to do with guys knowing their responsiblity and trusting the other guys around them.
    adbutcher and BigStar like this.
  15. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,361 Messages
    4,601 Likes Received
    The simple fact is we did run press man, press bail coverages at times last year. They just were not really very consistent on any of the coverages.

This idea that it was all Kiffin's fault for running exclusively zone coverage and not using the skills of Carr, Claiborne and Scandrick is just not true. Nor is it accurate that Marinelli was divorced from the process.

At the end of the day, the CBs have to play effectively, whatever coverage there is. The pass rush has to deliver too.
    rpntex and Idgit like this.
  16. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,361 Messages
    4,601 Likes Received
    I have not seen any direct quotes from Kiffin that indicate he was just this rigid.

A lot of what happened last year was poor execution, no matter what was called.

It was just a horror show all the way around. Bad circumstances, bad execution, injuries and poor coaching. It is not going to be this simple fix, there is no Marinelli magic wand that is just going to be a complete reversal.
  17. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,258 Messages
    648 Likes Received
    Exactly. We ran press man. .. We sucked at that too
    Chocolate Lab likes this.
  18. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,548 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    Great post. We were a terrible D last year, which was expected given the amount of injuries but there were times that we didn't give ourselves a chance to play good D with alignments and coverage that drove me crazy.

The one thing Bellicheat does that I really like as a D coordinator is he at least alignment and coverage wise tries to stop the play or player that you are good at. Hopefully, Marineli takes that approach this year and from what I hear he is off to a good start.
    BigStar likes this.
  19. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,548 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    Not only that but when you disguise your coverage it has an effect on the QB. If you are playing predominately zone and showing man at the presnap it will not fool any QBs. The QB knows that you are going to roll back into your zone at the snap. Being dominant at one and adequate at another is usually good enough to attack a QB especially if the DL is getting there with hurries and sacks.

Man coverage is a lot harder to beat than zone provided you have good man coverage corners, which we do. It requires routes that put the DB in a trail position, which requires clean 'getoffs' by the WR, precision throws to a target moving away at an angle, and time for the QB, which can be eroded by 1.5-2.0 secs with anything longer than a 3 step drop.

It pissed me off that we were insistent of playing zone or combo like coverage when the O would 3 step drop us to death. Even a CB playing off man can affect the O timing especially if he shows bump and sinks his hips and bail. Just off the top of my head, this technique can eliminate the out, in, hitch, curls and hook from the route tree. The O can hurt you with slants and slugo type routes but slants can be minimized with proper lb drops and slugo type routes requires good discipline by our DBs in the film room and coaching.

Hell in a zone, the WR knows that he just got to cross the DB's face and sit down or sit down before he has to cross the DB's face; without pressure the QB and WR can easily find holes especially with most zone coverage allowing a free release by the WR.

I think Marinelli has been hinting at mixing it up with man and cover Tampa 2. Half the battle is acknowledging our DBs strength, I can't wait to see how he implement his changes on the field.
    Idgit, theSHOW and jobberone like this.
  20. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,548 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    Very true but playing zone behind last year D is just prolonging certain death. Every zone played by every team has holes but the good team knows how to speed up the QB's decision making with pressure. We will improve our pressure this year and when we play zone we will see improvement but it all starts up front.