1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPN: Rod Marinelli plans more man coverage

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by NewsBot, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,769 Messages
    596 Likes Received
    In related news; Jason plans more running plays.

Haha.
  2. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

6,017 Messages
    551 Likes Received
    They sucked because the QB's generally had days to sit in the pocket and find open receivers. How many times can you recall last year where the Cowboys rushing four got to the QB in two-two and a half seconds?

I can save you the trouble.

Almost never.
    Cowboy06 and jobberone like this.
  3. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,708 Messages
    350 Likes Received
    Sharing characteristics let alone sharing the same gene pool does not guarantee anything. Right now we are like Danny Devito and sadly Seattle is like Arnuld Schwarzenegger. :)
    jobberone likes this.
  4. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,708 Messages
    350 Likes Received
    Winner, winner, chicken dinner.
  5. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

38,322 Messages
    4,212 Likes Received
    Loved that movie.
  6. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,708 Messages
    350 Likes Received
    It was a classic, lol.
  7. jobberone

38,322 Messages
    4,212 Likes Received
    Talk about the Odd Couple. Jeez! :)
    adbutcher likes this.
  8. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,356 Messages
    762 Likes Received
    This isn't the topic. The topic is running more man. .. running more man won't fix the issue..

Now if you are telling me that the rush will improve that's a different topic ... We don't exactly have a plethora of new and improved pass rushers either
  9. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,010 Messages
    9,092 Likes Received
    It was either this or start giving his defensive backs nicknames.
    Cowboy06, McLovin and Alexander like this.
  10. jobberone

38,322 Messages
    4,212 Likes Received
    Running more man is likely to help the defense since it did little of that last year. Now I can make a good argument as to why they didn't last year as much as they'd probably have liked. But we looked silly much of the time on pass defense. You can't blame it on one unit of the D. They all were pretty bad although I think the DL was the best of the worst at the end.
    adbutcher and Cowboy06 like this.
  11. rpntex

rpntex Active Member

269 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    Underrated statement of the year!
  12. rpntex

rpntex Active Member

269 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    With the state of our DL last season, it probably wouldn't have mattered if we'd had 13 men on the field. Without an effective pass rush, your DBs are going to get beat. If you press man, they're giving up TDs. If you play zone, you're at least keeping the receivers in front of you. This secondary could have started four hall-of-famers last season, and still get torched, regardless of what kind of coverage they were playing.
    adbutcher likes this.
  13. rpntex

rpntex Active Member

269 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    I agree in principle, but it;s practically impossible to hold good coverage for as long as was necessary behind our DL last year. Put our secondary behind even a modest pass rush and we end up 10-6 at worst last season.
    adbutcher likes this.
  14. rpntex

rpntex Active Member

269 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    Maybe what's being said is that they think they'll be able to play more man coverage because of a better pass rush....
    jobberone and adbutcher like this.
  15. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,115 Messages
    472 Likes Received
  16. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

6,017 Messages
    551 Likes Received
    No, but at least they have "some" NFL talent barring more injuries. Mincey, Lawrence, Crawford, Melton and possibly McClain will help the pass rush.
    adbutcher likes this.
  17. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,057 Messages
    3,535 Likes Received
    Again I think it is hand in hand, pass rush is not going to get there every snap and there are many times even with this secondary that their coverage forced the qb to throw the ball away or pull it down. for defense to be successful you have to pretty much do everything good. People talk about the importance of pass defense? yes it is important but the top defense in this league plays the pass and the run strong. Weakness is exploited. New Orleans had a very good pass defense, did not help them much vs the seahawks who ran the ball right down their throat. Heck Seahawks threw the ball on 18 times in the game while Lynch had 28 carries for 148 yards and 2 TD.
    adbutcher likes this.
  18. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,713 Messages
    1,217 Likes Received
    Even if they're not great Man to Man corners they're still better at man than zone. If this is the guys you're going to have to go with it only makes sense to try and play more of what they're better at.

Will that fix everything? Of course not. They may still be awful but they're going to be less awful.

I never understand coaches, or fans, who don't want to play to what the players do best just because they're not Deion Sanders at what they do best.
    adbutcher likes this.
  19. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,083 Messages
    5,403 Likes Received
    All good defenses play both. It's like a pitcher in baseball. A starting pitcher that can throw 100 mph does not always throw fastballs. He'll use some off-speed stuff to mix it up.
  20. Cowboy06

Cowboy06 Active Member

412 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    I often wonder if you are a good DC and highly touted, why can't you see what you have in the cupboards and pantry and cook a meal with that. I know it's a bad analogy, but I really believe that you don't have to keep doing the Tampa 2 things which the league has figured out to a large extent. I believe you need to be creative and apply as much pressure as you can through out the game.

If we simply don't have the players on the team then okay, but don't be reactive, bet the farm on getting to the QB. I really believe that if you find a way to consistently apply pressure that you can start to bluff and force teams into throwing quick passes and in a man type defense that is exactly what you want. You don't want long developing plays because in a man type defense that means you have no DL rush you are worried about and the DBs I probably going to get beat deep. Just my opinion and it certainly doesn't make it right. I just hope for defensive improvement from the first game until the last and then Lord willing I will be around to see the Cowboys return to glory on all phases of the game.