1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPN: Ronald Leary loses weight, gets ready for camp

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, Jul 28, 2012.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,251 Messages
    1,408 Likes Received
    Ronald Leary loses weight, gets ready for camp

By Calvin Watkins

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowb...ld-leary-loses-weight-and-gets-ready-for-camp

...Leary hasn't endured any problems with his left knee, which suffers from a condition known as osteochondritis dissecans -- also referred to as OCD. It's a joint condition in which a piece of cartilage, along with a thin layer of the bone beneath it, comes loose from the end of a bone.

If anything, Leary appears to be moving quite well. Between the offseason workouts and the three-day rookie training camp, Leary said he's lost weight and is currently at 319 pounds. Instead of heading home to Baton Rouge, Leary stayed in Dallas to workout at Valley Ranch.

"I'm nowhere near where I want to be," Leary said. "It's just about a transition in the NFL because it's a different game. I'm trying to get all the techniques from my coach and just talk to the vets and pick up little tips and play my game."
  2. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,818 Messages
    142 Likes Received
    He is nowhere near where he wants to be? the NFL defensive linemen better watch out...this guy is on a mission. He went from a fat lard to a streamlined beast in the offseason and has added lots of technique to his game. Now he will have lots of issues this year, but most rookie OL do. Still, he will continue to learn and improve. If he can remain healthy throughout his career, we may have stolen our future starter for the next decade plus.

BTW, I would love for him to be #61.
  3. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,287 Messages
    1,234 Likes Received
    I know a lot of people are high on Leary, but I'd consider his becoming a long term backup a win. I really don't see what's so special about him that some think he can start, and play well, as a rookie.
  4. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,667 Messages
    1,487 Likes Received
    Welp, cant fault him on his work ethic so far. Big part of being an NFL player is wanting it, which it sounds like he does.
  5. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,559 Likes Received
    It won't surprise me if he ends up starting at some point this season.
  6. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,593 Messages
    485 Likes Received
    I think his degenerative condition precludes any chance of a decade + career, but I'd settle for 6 solid years,,, heck, at this point I'd settle for two solid years from any interior lineman!
  7. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,532 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    I have treated some people with OCD and it is a very tricky condition.

I still remain hopeful that in the near future regenerative medicine will help out guys like him but I do think he is playing with borrowed time given the amount of strain he has to put up with on an ongoing basis.

I wouldn't be surpised if he needs regular cleanup of debris from his joint although only itme will tell.
  8. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,724 Messages
    10,000 Likes Received
    Well, you are always going to see new Cowboys praised. If I mentoned Matt Johnson's name here in March as a possible answer at S I'd have been laughed off the forum. But now he's this super secret gem we unearthed at the expense of the rest of the league. It's just what most fans do.

Having said that, I do think Leary has a chance.
  9. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,251 Messages
    1,408 Likes Received
    Risen, sorry for the beefs you endure for stating your own views.

Although I don't always agree with your perspectives, I would would die to ensure your rights to them...and ability to voice them.
  10. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,559 Likes Received
    That's true with any player not in the mainstream of college football. A few years ago you could have made the same point about a no name QB from Eastern Illinois.
  11. Risen Star

22,724 Messages
    10,000 Likes Received
    True. But the reason why the Romos and Austins get such attention is because they beat the odds. They weren't supposed to amount to anything. Far more times than not, they wouldn't amount to anything. That's what makes their story so great. Particularly Romo's.

The odds of Matt Johnson becoming a great starting S here are long. Yet he's been treated as if he was a consensus top 100 player in the draft with years of top production against elite competition.

That is only because he's now a Cowboy. If he was drafted by the Giants you wouldn't think much of his pro potential.
  12. Risen Star

22,724 Messages
    10,000 Likes Received
    One thing about Leary, he was viewed as a draftable player. Most had him in the mid rounds based strictly off talent. It was the knee that caused him to go undrafted.

Now Matt Johnson was a consensus undrafted grade. Nobody I've read him thought enough of him to even include him as a 7th round possibility.

The Cowboys did the same thing with Lissemore, only at the end of the draft. They've got more invested in Johnson. We shall see how it turns out.
  13. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,949 Messages
    7,698 Likes Received
    For someone who believes (or pretends to believe) some crazy stuff, Risen Star does a better job than most defending his positions. If you're going to try to make the point that coverage players in today's NFL are overrated, you gotta have pretty thick skin, because you know what's coming.

IIRC, draft-day scuttlebut had Baltimore interested in taking Johnson just a few picks after our, and considered him a potential gem. That's admittedly hearsay, though. Still, I think it's safe to say there's a gulf between what NFL teams knew and what was reported in commercial draft prep content.
  14. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,548 Messages
    729 Likes Received

IIRC Matt Johnson started gaining interest from other teams so we decided to pull the trigger on him early.

We also used our comp pick to get him which was the last pick in the 4th round.
  15. Bluestang

5,548 Messages
    729 Likes Received

I don't know what team it was but juding by the draft order and the comp pick we used on Matt Johnson I don't think it was the Ravens. The hearsay is true though, we did indeed fear some other team picking him before us.
  16. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,949 Messages
    7,698 Likes Received
    I don't recall what made me think it was the Ravens; I remember us scrambling to figure out who it might be based off the the context clue of it being within a few picks of us. But I'm pretty sure somebody afterward came out a week or so after the draft and indicated it was them. I just can't recall who it was, and I couldn't find it in a quick search just now. Either way, it was another decent team with a good reputation for quality drafting. It wasn't Cincinatti or the Raiders. :)
  17. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,599 Messages
    2,479 Likes Received
    NFLDS leading up the the draft had a 6-7 grade on him and rising.
  18. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,251 Messages
    1,408 Likes Received
    Your comment to me was something of a dull tack in the pack...I supported him as a person, and you come back with slander. As to merit, he takes some journeys for effect alone. That is another issue, but if you can handle value, then just carry right along...as your value is attracted by popularity more than analysis to begin with.

I haven't yet, presented a vantage of what my actual values are, for starters, and my comments are upon points of application to the sport, or about voicing insult by another...first.

I was a Veteran, and I state that because my reactions are weathered through that perception first. With institutional types of responses, first...and not a smorgesborg of sensation and enjoyments selected.

TwoDeep and I are very similar in that, as is casmith07 and quite a few others on site...that doesn't mean our view is all the same.

But at least I can differentiate between core elements of issue and personality, instead.

I don't care an iota about compliance to style, and stereotyped communications. Here is why I appreciate Gimme as I do. I take the message, and not just how it's delivered. The end result is the same. You know, the concept in your own mind's eye.

I leave you your own mind's eye..but when you enter the arena for confrontation, that's another issue. Here, if one retains a detachment for another's personal insult first, then it remains in a discussion, rather than conflict.

But the message still is, Jerry is not an idiot, and someone saying such isn't a jerk or idiot as well.

And that is a pretty simple message, if one is looking for it.
  19. Bluestang

5,548 Messages
    729 Likes Received

Now that I recall it, I believe you are confusing Kyle Wilber and Matt Johnson. Wilber was the one that the Ravens were after which we selected in the 4th round before Johnson.

On the other hand though I could have sworn remembering that the Eagles were interested in Johnson in the 5th so we decided to get Johnson at the end of the 4th with the comp pick.
  20. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,251 Messages
    1,408 Likes Received
    I really like the context that Leary has come onto this team. He is a dedicated football player. He has good size, works hard, and is attempting to strongly adapt to the demands and periles of the NFL.

He was given good grades on his base level of technique, aggressiveness, and abilities. He is a student of the game, and that will provide dividends with a shorter learning curve than less motivated and even more talented players.

If his knees hold on, he may prove a very workable piece in an injury marred sport. He is the type of player, at what ever level attained, one looks for.

He is a good addition to a defineable Jason Garrett type of guidelines for his team...not Jerry's.

Merit is now on the shoulders of Jason Garrett, as all the war dancing is over now.

And when players walk onto the carpet, merit is then on their shoulders, not just Jason's.