1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPN:Scout's Eye: Bears-Cowboys preview

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Sep 17, 2010.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    Scout's Eye: Bears-Cowboys preview
    September, 17, 2010 Sep 178:00AM CTEmail Print Comments

By Bryan Broaddus
    click link here

The Cowboys will face a defense that will present them a different set of challenges as opposed to what they faced last week in Washington.

Lovie Smith and former Lions head coach Rod Marinelli have once again hooked up and continue to put the Bears in the Tampa 2 scheme that they ran with great success for the Buccaneers under Tony Dungy.

In 2009, the Bears were a banged up defense and struggled without several key members in the lineup. This year, with the addition of Julius Peppers from Carolina, it gives them a much more dynamic pass rusher than you have to deal with off the edge.
    At the other end is Mark Anderson. Anderson is not a bulky player, but he is very quick. When Smith and Marinelli slant this line, Anderson is a problem to block on the move because he is a feel for how to beat blocks.

*The Bears on offense were able to move the ball on the Lions, but turnovers and red zone problems allowed to Lions to hang in the game and even have a chance to win it in the end.

The Bears might not have big names at wide receiver, but what they do have is a group that can really run. Johnny Knox is a 4.29, Devin Hester a 4.41 and Devin Aromashodu a 4.35.

2. Section444

Section444 Well-Known Member

4,250 Messages
    785 Likes Received
    Please, the Bears run an ultra-conservative variation of the Tampa 2. Nothing about that defense (whether it be scheme or player) scares me in the least. If there's a game on the schedule where the offense should score 30+ it's this game. If we establish anything that resembles a ground game they are screwed.
  3. JeffInDC

JeffInDC Well-Known Member

1,000 Messages
    62 Likes Received
    When playing any Tampa 2 team, you beat them by POUNDING the ball at that undersized line until they tire, even if you don't have early success.
  4. Section444

Section444 Well-Known Member

4,250 Messages
    785 Likes Received
    Exactly. Which is why I said:

5. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives.

6,972 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    Bingo !
  6. Ashwynn

Ashwynn Well-Known Member

3,234 Messages
    71 Likes Received
    So if we should be running against this defense, wanna bet Red calls 55 passes this game?
  7. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives.

6,972 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    :bang2:
  8. pgreptom

pgreptom Well-Known Member

1,463 Messages
    64 Likes Received
    Last Cover 2 defense we played and threw the ball a lot on.. was probably Tampa. I'm not too worried.. chip Peppers a bit and you're okay. Hope Columbo is ready to go because Peppers moves around quite a bit.
  9. Joshmvii

Joshmvii Cowboys baby!

2,642 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    The tampa 2 has been exposed so badly, it blows my mind that anybody is still running it. It's just not a good defense. It leaves mid range stuff wide open for tight ends and WRs who play in the style that Miles does.
  10. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Well-Known Member

5,839 Messages
    202 Likes Received
    Yea, but the problem is Garrett doesn't have the patience to play that way.
  11. Doctor32

Doctor32 Hi-Definition Warrior

1,069 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Chicago has the base Cover 2 that resembles the Dungy / Monte Kiffin "Tampa-2". They rarely run this defense. I think it's so they can utilize the Mike LB position (Urlacher) to have more freedom to make plays in the passing game.
    Romo spoke to this yesterday.
  12. DaBoys4Life

DaBoys4Life Benched

15,621 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    There is cause to be concerned even though we have all 5 line men 2 of them are coming off of injury. So they're not in shape and it will be interesting to see if they can keep up with the grind. Then there's Peppers. They have a decent LB corps. We shouldn't underestimate any time. We should right any team as a check mark for a win. Like who saw us losing to Redskins ? I'm pretty sure none of you were concerned about that.

Now for their offense their WR isn't much to speak of same goes for the TE olsen. However, what I am concerned with is Matt Forte and his receiving ability. He broke a long one last week and if we don't account for this it will be scary. He has the ability to do this and we should be concerned. We need to be concerned about the big play ability on their offense Hester and Knox may not be the best but both have the ability to beat the defense.
  13. proline

proline Active Member

1,377 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Peppers' new nickname is now El Burrito! :laugh2: