1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPN: Source: Callahan upset if Linehan is hired

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by NewsBot, Jan 27, 2014.

1. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,686 Messages
    410 Likes Received
    Ummm... only if you accept that the Cowboys always act logically.
    dwight likes this.
  2. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Exactly.

And to WG's question... Maybe I'm not understanding you, but Fisher is asking how it could even be a choice between being demoted here on a possibly lame duck staff and getting a real OC job in Cleveland where he'd have more authority *and* most likely more security.

Which is why everyone I've heard from David Moore to Albert Breer expects Linehan to be calling the plays this year. It's going to work out to be better for both parties for Callahan to leave. Callahan is probably thinking that it kind of sucks for Jason to get bailed out like this, but in the end he'll probably go.
  3. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

3,037 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    Linehan would definitely be a Garrett hiring. If this happens, it means Jerry is giving Garrett every opportunity to earn a new contract. Jones wants Garrett to be as comfortable as possible. Then if the season is still a failure, Garrett will have no excuses as he walks out of Valley Ranch with his walking papers next year.
  4. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

10,121 Messages
    1,671 Likes Received
    So he didn't want that last year when he foisted Callahan calling plays on him?
  5. mcompact

mcompact Member

87 Messages
    27 Likes Received
  6. Next Years Champ

Next Years Champ Active Member

508 Messages
    182 Likes Received
    Yes they do.

Year before last the Ravens fired their OC and then won a SB.

And this was during the season as I recall.

Relax.

If you are so offended by this..stop following the team.

We don't need this sort of 'fan support'..

its not support..its just unprofessional opinion.
  7. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

3,037 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    Jerry Jones always thinks he knows better than everybody else. He "foisted" Callahan on Garrett because he wanted Garrett to be a "walk around" coach.

2014 is Garrett's last chance for a contract extension. And Jerry will give him every opportunity for that extension, even if it means he has to hire Garrett's guy. But Garrett has to succeed. If Garrett fails, it won't be because Garrett wasn't allowed to hire his guy. Jerry wants that excuse taken off the table if he has to get rid of him after next year.

It's all conjecture on my part, so take it for what's it's worth.
  8. coult44

coult44 Well-Known Member

1,626 Messages
    929 Likes Received
    Can't the entire organization just get on air JJ and disappear forever...
  9. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,851 Messages
    1,221 Likes Received
    We know that was Frank Pollack. Callahan even said so during the season that Pollack was coaching the OL with him having more OC/play calling duties.
  10. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,979 Messages
    1,049 Likes Received
    They don't. I was referring to my logic. :D
  11. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Yes, but he's part of the (ahem) process that Callahan started last year. Callahan is the only reason Pollack is here.

But just to be clear, I'm not some huge Bill Callahan fan. I think he's okay to pretty good. It's not like it would be a disaster if he left. But I do think he's done a pretty good job with the items he's been tasked with since he got here. It's not like he promoted himself to playcaller.
  12. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,979 Messages
    1,049 Likes Received
    Appears that way, doesn't it?

Kind of makes you wonder if anyone will want to coach for the Cowboys in the future. It seems like there is never a short supply and I don't understand why considering Jerry is in charge.
  13. waving monkey

waving monkey Well-Known Member

2,357 Messages
    909 Likes Received
    yes
  14. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,392 Messages
    5,917 Likes Received
    Yeah I noticed the same. It's not a coincidence he leaves every job with turmoil.
  15. CowboysFaninDC

CowboysFaninDC Well-Known Member

2,972 Messages
    151 Likes Received
    Callahan should just coach OL. when the play calling duties were taken away from him, and believe me they were (But Garrett likes to down play Hollywood stuff and act like billicheck) the offense played a lot better and had much better rhythm to it. If he wants to move on, I say don't let the door hit you in the back.
  16. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

6,061 Messages
    982 Likes Received
    There are no teams in today's NFL that has a GM that admits he should have been fired ages ago, yet continues at the helm. There are no teams in today's NFL where a GM admits that his 4th year coach is still making poor game management mistakes, and is learning on the job yet that GM rationalizes keeping this project coach on staff for sunk cost reasons and the infinitesimally remote possibility that he might flourish somewhere else if let go.
    There are no teams in today's NFL where a [1] GM declares that he doesn't want a walk around coach, then in the span of a single season [2] mandates that his coach be a walk-around coach by stripping him of his play calling abilities, [3] then seemingly restores the coach's calling rights mid season, by tries to hide the awkward role reversal by claiming that the coach is merely passing on other peoples' play calls to the QB, [3] then potentially inserts yet another offensive handler into the mix to fix what the HC was hired to do in the first place.

That is not on the same the same dysfunctional order of magnitude as simply replacing an OC during the season.
    dwight likes this.
  17. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,959 Messages
    684 Likes Received
    Back off. I've been a fan since 1975. Fandom doesn't mean sit and accept everything. That's being a shill.

Please stop trying to bring up rare examples that work. It's like the people who think Garrett is following the Landry timelime. Last season our HC got stripped of his duties. The new OC faired about the same except the running game improved when used. Now they want to bump him and get another guy who was dumped because his highly talented offense failed down the stretch. How is that the "continuity" people always refer to when talking about Garrett?

So excuse me for having an informed voice and seeing a pattern here. Telling people to stop following a team because they aren't happy with 17 years of "meh" is something you'd probably need to drop these days.
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  18. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,472 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Ya think?

Worst job in the NFL is to be an assistant coach on Garrett's staff...............sooner or later, the finger gets pointed at you..............not surprising Callahan is pissed off about it, but he should have seen this coming after Ryan got rail roaded out of here last season. It was just a matter of time till it was his turn to fall on the sword for Garrett's incompetence.
  19. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

8,642 Messages
    2,753 Likes Received
  20. RonSpringsdaman20

RonSpringsdaman20 alpha seeing omega Zone Supporter

3,485 Messages
    1,380 Likes Received