1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

ESPN - TCU Accepts Offer to Join Big 12

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by ABQCOWBOY, Oct 11, 2011.

1. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,370 Messages
    1,401 Likes Received
    TCU joins Big 12 for 2012-13

Updated: October 11, 2011, 9:40 AM ET

FORT WORTH, Texas -- TCU accepted an invitation to join the Big 12 on Monday night, seizing an opportunity to be a part of a conference with natural geographic rivals despite the league's recent instability.

The board of trustees unanimously approved the move and Chancellor Victor Boschini Jr. made the expected announcement in front a packed room of more than 200 people. Athletic director Chris Del Conte fought back tears as he recalled receiving the phone call from the Horned Frogs' new conference last week.

"This is living proof that dreams do come true," he said.

The move could provide some much-needed stability for the Big 12, which lost Nebraska (Big Ten) and Colorado (Pac-12) over the summer and will lose Texas A&M to the Southeastern Conference next year. Missouri is also exploring a move to the SEC.

To read the entire article, click on this link:

http://espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/story...vote-unanimous-allow-tcu-horned-frogs-2012-13
  2. Wimbo

Wimbo Active Member

4,133 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    They should bring in SMU as well, so that TCU will have a conference rival.
  3. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Gary Patterson is so freaking pissed at SMU. He absolutely hates them now. Rivalry? I would say so. (unless it's completely one sided) I wouldn't doubt TCU he would go all out to CRUSH them from now on.
  4. Wimbo

Wimbo Active Member

4,133 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Gary Patterson really showed his butt over the past week. June Jones complimented his team & he somehow twisted the compliment into an insult, then went public with a rant about hating SMU & never helping them again. Low class. He didn't even stay on the field to shake hands with Jones after the last game.
  5. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,370 Messages
    1,401 Likes Received

I would not be quick to judge on this one. June Jones has a way of doing things that doesn't sit well all the time. Going all the way back to his days in Houston and Detroit.
  6. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,044 Messages
    3,281 Likes Received
    Good for TCU...they deserve to be in an AQC...I hope Boise State winds up in an AQC as well.
  7. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    BSU won't be getting any invites to the Big12, and they shouldn't. They probably should look elsewhere.

No offense to BSU, but I doubt they do much more once Moore leaves.

What is Moore now, a 6th year senior? I keep losing track of the years. :laugh2:

I am glad TCU is now part of the 12. That is a real good decision.
  8. Kolemmitt

Kolemmitt Member

168 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Based on what? The fact that they have the highest winning percentage of any college football prograrm over the last 12 years? Moore hasn't been playing that long. Would a Fiesta Bowl win with Zabransky not count as doing much?
  9. Dallas

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    They don't bring anything to the conference. The schools athletic dept outside of football is LETHARGIC.

There is more to joining a legit conference other than football. TCU has a stellar baseball program though it to has an awful basketball team, but they def bring a lot more than a BSU would.

Best winning percentage in the past 12 years? PLAYING WHO?????? That pathetic conference of champions?? Really? To argue that percentage based on the piss poor conference they are in is redonkulus.

Dont get me started on your weak arsed schedule year in and year out.
  10. BrAinPaiNt

60,044 Messages
    3,281 Likes Received
    His point still stands.

Your contention is they will fall once Moore leaves. His contention is they won before Moore.
  11. Dallas

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    My conention is that they do NOT bring enough to the conference. BSU isn't fooling anyone w/ a few years of good football play in the weakest conference in the land.

So no, I don't support them joining at all. Add the fact that traveling would be beyond stupid and I just don't see the 12 extending an invite to that school. Let them go ask the Pac12 or some other conference.

My Moore reference was just me being catty. :(
  12. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    In fairness, it's not as if TCU has been competing in a major conference either. Also in fairness, Boise State has been to a Bowl game in 11 of the last 12 years, winning 7 of those, including a win over TCU in 2009.
  13. Dallas

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    The ties TCU has in the region is more than enough to justify its membership to the 12. Throw in that they have a quality atheltic department, it makes perfect sense.

You guys should go lobby for some other conference to beg the smurfs to join. Leave the 12 out of it.
  14. BrAinPaiNt

60,044 Messages
    3,281 Likes Received
    Actually I said an AQC...never said big XII...you are the one that brought that up...so if anyone should leave the 12 out...it is you. :laugh2:

Burn baby burn.
  15. Kolemmitt

Kolemmitt Member

168 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Wow! Did you choke on an potato once and now hate everything from Idaho? Pretty freaking sensitive!

My response was to your baseless statement that BSU would do nothing after Moore leaves by informing you that they have the highest winning percentage in the last 12 years playing the same level of competition that TCU has played.
    I have stated on here that I think that BSU needs to finish expanding their stadium, improve their basketball program, their overall academic program, and start a baseball program before they make the leap into the Big 12 or Pac 12, So I agree with you on that point.
    But I also think that they would be very competetive in football in the Big 12, but obviously not keep the same winning percentage, with or without Moore, as long as Peterson is steering the ship. After he turned down the head coaching jobs at Florida and Stanford I think there is a pretty good chance that he will remain at Boise and has said as much, as long as they continue to be dedicated to growth. They would also bring a very strong wrestling program to the Big XII that has won the PAC ten crown numerous times.
  16. Wimbo

Wimbo Active Member

4,133 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Jones made a comment that Patterson and TCU "don't change, they do what they do and that's what good football teams do." (<-- that is the actual quote).

Patterson misunderstood June's comments to mean that TCU was predictable, thus easy to figure out. That's what set him off.

Yesterday, a story came out that Patterson apologized to Jones:
    "I like June Jones," Patterson said Monday. "I got a little bit of bad information. I have no bad feelings towards him ... I've left messages and texted him.""
    http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.../tcus-gary-patterson-reaches-out-to-smus.html
  17. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,657 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    What they should do is bring in SMU and maybe another Texas school... then renaming the conference since it is stupid to call it the "Big 12".... I dunno, maybe call it the "Southwest Conference" or something like that.... :D
  18. Dallas

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Ahh..so you were offended by me bashing your QB.

You'll get over it. :) Rub some dirt on it.

I like fries...btw
  19. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Apparently, he was pissed about some SMU player's comments too. Can't remember who's.
  20. Kolemmitt

Kolemmitt Member

168 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    When did you bash Moore? :confused: