1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPN Watkins: Cowboys, fans waiting on free agency (Mailbag)

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, May 13, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,319 Messages
    3,185 Likes Received
    Questions remain about who club will add and when it will be able to do so
    The lockout is wearing on a few people, but that doesn't stop the talk of what will happen when -- and if -- free agency starts. Several of you have questions about what the Cowboys would do. In our latest installment of the Cowboys mailbag, we answer some of those questions.

Q: What do you think the chances are of the Cowboys going after a NG like Aubrayo Franklin? I love [Jay] Ratliff but feel that he is a better fit at defensive end and better there than any potential free agent defensive ends. Is [Rob] Ryan going to push for a bigger, more traditional nose tackle? -- Jamie (Omaha, Neb.)

A: Jamie, Jay Ratliff is staying at nose tackle. Ryan said he likes where Ratliff is on the defensive line, and the goal is to get either Jason Hatcher or Stephen Bowen ready to start at end. Ratliff, while undersized, is quick off the ball and able to make plays behind the line of scrimmage on a regular basis. One of the best moves Ratliff made was against the Indianapolis Colts last year. He beat the center on two plays and almost tackled Peyton Manning before he handed the ball off. Ratliff draws a lot of double-coverage, and when that happens, it should open the way for the inside linebackers or the defensive ends to make some plays. It doesn't always happen, but Ratliff is better suited to play nose, for now.

Read the rest: http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/columns/story?columnist=watkins_calvin&id=6535315
  2. jobberone

jobberone Save the Snow Leopard Staff Member

35,006 Messages
    2,570 Likes Received
    For some reason people just won't believe that Ratliff is staying at NT. I don't understand it. I did want a big NT in the draft but I guess the Boys feel otherwise. I still think we need the option of putting a big NT in the game at times. Perhaps Brent will play 'big'.
  3. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ratliff is staying at NT. I guarantee it.