1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPN: Weeden picking Tony Romo's brain

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by NewsBot, Jun 3, 2014.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot New Member

27,374 Messages
    208 Likes Received
    [IMG]
    IRVING, Texas -- Since joining the Dallas Cowboys as a free agent, Brandon Weeden is sure he has started to annoy Tony Romo -- in a good way -- with all the questions he is asking. "But I'm just trying to get a feel for what he thinks, why he does certain things," Weeden said. "He's an extremely successful quarterback and a very smart guy. I'd be crazy not to take everything I can from him." But Weeden also realizes he can't take everything from Romo and implement it into his own game.

"He's done it for so long that he's found what works for him, whether it's footwork or types of throws or reads or whatever it may be," Weeden said. "He's got a feel for what he's good at. I just pick and choose what IU think may work for me. One thing about me, I'm going to be an aggressive thrower. I'm going to stretch the field vertically and I'm going to throw the ball aggressively. Sometimes I may get myself in trouble but I think being smart aggressive vs. being dumb aggressive is two different things.

"I've watched every game of his last year and I think what he does in the pocket, moving around the pocket, those things you really can't teach them, so I'm not sitting back there trying to do those spin moves and crazy stuff he does. But he's one of the best. Him and Ben Roethlisberger are the best I've ever seen at extending plays. That's not really my skill set. That's something I'm not going to take from him."

Continue reading...
  2. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,498 Messages
    4,458 Likes Received
    He'd be crazy not to try to pick his brain..
    khiladi, dstovall5 and adbutcher like this.
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,979 Messages
    2,178 Likes Received
    At least from the OTA reports it looks like Weeden is doing a very good job out there. Look forward to seeing him under fire come pre season.
  4. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,697 Messages
    1,719 Likes Received
    I have no doubt that Weeden will be a vastly better backup than Orton. Very underappreciated acquisition this offseason. I feel much better about a 2-3 game stint with Weeden than dink-and-dunk Orton.
  5. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,657 Messages
    2,031 Likes Received
    Even if Orton comes back, Weeden is going to stick.
    I know he had some nightmare games last year, but he really does have a lot good qualities to work with.
    adbutcher likes this.
  6. DoomsDayD

DoomsDayD Well-Known Member

1,600 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    The only way this man helps this team is if he donates his spine to ROMO!!!!
  7. Craig

Craig Well-Known Member

540 Messages
    266 Likes Received
    People jump over his age, but look at the mileage on his body. He can still grow for a couple years and still contribute for a few years. He might not, but his age isn't a huge detriment.
  8. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,738 Messages
    929 Likes Received
    I agree. The guy has the measurables and can make all the throws.

Cleveland was not a good situation for him but I think he fits right in with Dallas' offense and the weapons at his disposal. Hopefully Orton retires.
  9. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,625 Messages
    5,343 Likes Received
    Tee-hee. I actually like Weeden in Dallas quite a bit, I think. More than I was expecting to. I particularly like the fact that he played with Dez before, so the guys know each other. I wonder what an actual quarterback competition with Orton would look like. Probably not as much of a contest as I'd hope for, but it would be fun to see in camp if it works out that way.
  10. tantrix1969

tantrix1969 Well-Known Member

953 Messages
    427 Likes Received
    They did practice together I'm sure but never actually played in a game together, Weeden did start 3 games in 2009 but Dez was already suspended then
  11. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,625 Messages
    5,343 Likes Received
    Thanks for the catch. The article I read (I tried to look it up) mentioned they didn't have much time together--I looked it up because I was surprised I didn't remember hearing a bigger deal made of it when Weeden was signed==but didn't realize they never played in a game together at all.

It's still cool that he's got a bit of background with him coming in. I liked his Dez quote, anyway:

12. scooper

scooper Active Member

129 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    Better to pick his brain than pick his nose lol sorry couldn't resist!!!!
  13. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,497 Messages
    1,686 Likes Received
    I think he'll be good if he can learn to protect the ball better.

If not he'll be out of the league in no time.
  14. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

1,772 Messages
    1,194 Likes Received
    The backup is always popular until he actually has to play. Lets see then.
    DoomsDayD likes this.
  15. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,498 Messages
    4,458 Likes Received
    I'd rather we didn't see..
    DoomsDayD, khiladi and PA Cowboy Fan like this.
  16. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,505 Messages
    1,283 Likes Received
    In B4 "well everyone else has picked Tony, why not Weeden?" comments

seriously though, this is how it should be....good times