1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND: 5 Wonders: empty set, red zone, trades

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Oct 11, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,636 Messages
    6,340 Likes Received
    Oct 11
    10:32
    AM CT
    By Todd Archer

IRVING, Texas -- We’re back for another installment of 5 Wonders as the Cowboys enter their fifth game of the season with a 2-2 record.

** Detroit had success against the Cowboys defense with an empty set. The move slowed down the Cowboys’ pass rush and Matthew Stafford was able to get the ball to Calvin Johnson. I wonder if New England does the same this week. The Patriots love the empty set and Tom Brady flourishes in the formation. In 2009-10, Tom Brady completed 124-of-175 passes for 1,234 yards with seven touchdowns and two picks. He was also sacked only once.

** As well as the Dallas defense has played this year you have to assume the Patriots will score points because that’s what they do against just about everybody. I wonder if the Cowboys work more on the red zone this week because of it. In the Patriots last nine losses the opponent converted on at least 50 percent of their red-zone opportunities eight times. Only the Jets in 2009 won when making good on one of three chances inside the New England 20. So far this season the Cowboys are 5-of-15 in the red zone. They can stack up yards on defenses but the Cowboys have to do a better job getting touchdowns that deep. Having a healthy Miles Austin and Dez Bryant should help. Going to Jason Witten would help, too.

Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4684972/5-wonders-empty-set-red-zone-trades
  2. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,609 Messages
    1,154 Likes Received
    I still don't understand why it seems like we just completely forget Witten in the redzone. I've never understood that but he just never seems like he's a huge focal point of the offense down there.