1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND: 5 Wonders: Mo returns, Carter's future

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Apr 30, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,239 Messages
    7,068 Likes Received
    Apr 30
    11:52
    AM CT
    By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – The award-winning 5 Wonders is back for a post-draft look. Today we talk about Morris Claiborne, Bruce Carter, Mike Jenkins and where’s the nose tackle?

** The Cowboys traded up for Claiborne because he was the second player on their draft board and they could not believe he slipped out of the top five. In 2003 the Cowboys drafted Terence Newman with the fifth overall pick and said part of the decision was based on Newman’s return abilities. In nine seasons, Newman had 38 punt returns for a 7.5-yard average and one touchdown. They never really let him do it. I wonder if the Cowboys will let Claiborne return punts and/or kicks. He averaged 25 yards per kick return last year at LSU and had a 99-yard touchdown. He’s not Patrick Peterson as a returner, but he could be a good one and the Cowboys’ return games need to improve in 2012. Here’s a bonus wonder: I wonder if Dez Bryant actually becomes more of a full-time returner this season. It’s Year 3 for him and I wonder if the team will sign him to a second contract down the road.

** Claiborne’s arrival has Jenkins’ future in question. Jenkins is in the last year of his contract and is scheduled to make a little more than $1 million. He is also coming off shoulder surgery and as I wrote on Friday, the team is a little concerned at how much rehab time he’s spending in Florida and not at Valley Ranch. But I wonder what you could get for Jenkins. The money is palatable but he will be an unrestricted free agent in 2013. And he’s coming off major surgery and won’t be ready until training camp. Jerry Jones likes to say a player’s value is lowest at the draft, so they could not get equal value for Jenkins or close to it. I wonder if the Cowboys let Jenkins play out the year, hope he does well, signs a big contract elsewhere and then hope they can get a compensatory back in 2014. The team doesn’t wonder about this (they say) but I wonder if they would like a do-over on Orlando Scandrick’s contract.

Read more: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4692489/5-wonders-mo-returns-carters-future
  2. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,127 Messages
    3,208 Likes Received
    The liquor store is in Florida?
  3. starfrombirth

starfrombirth Well-Known Member

3,933 Messages
    476 Likes Received
    Is there an analysis on Leary? What could have Jerry so effusive on such a late picked player?
  4. preacher238

preacher238 Member

497 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    :lmao2:

It just never gets old!!!!
  5. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,558 Messages
    1,815 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  6. strongbomb3

strongbomb3 New Member

160 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :bow: :laugh2: :laugh1: :starspin :star: :) :bow:
  7. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,561 Likes Received
    I'll be surprised if that doesn't happen.
  8. Marktui

Marktui Active Member

1,200 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    I don't believe that just because they would have drafted Wagner doesn't mean they have soured on Carter. How can they sour on a kid that didn't even get any OTA's, training camp and preseason games? How about they were following their draft board and he was the BPA? 3/4 defense is all about linebackers, so also nothing wrong with collecting talent and letting them battle it out.
  9. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,866 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    I disagree and actually agree with what Jerry Jones said on this. Scandrick's deal was overall a good one.

Jenkins has had troubles with injuries and inconsistent play. He had a bad season in 2010 for no reason other than poor play. He was injured almost all of 2011.

It's not worth guessing each year what the team will get from him. Better to let him play out the year and if he's outstanding then let him go and get a compensatory pick for him in 2014.

Or maybe trade him to a desperate team any time up to the trade deadline.

If he's ROH worthy and leads the team to the Superbowl, then re-sign him and figure out what to do with the logjam at the position later.