1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND: Archer: Mike Jenkins' shoulder feeling better

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Aug 19, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,173 Messages
    5,720 Likes Received
    Aug 19
    2:30
    PM CT
    By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

SAN DIEGO – Here are five random thoughts from the Cowboys' 28-20 loss to San Diego on Saturday:

* I spoke briefly with Mike Jenkins in the locker room after the game and he said that his surgically-repaired right shoulder is feeling better and better every day. He is working through some scar tissue issues that have hampered his strength, but his range of motion is fine. He isn’t ruling out being available for the Sept. 5 opener at the New York Giants, but he will take another trip to Pensacola, Fla., to visit with Dr. James Andrews for a checkup.

* At some point Saturday I started to feel badly for Stephen McGee. Sometimes he just had no chance because of the blocking. Sometimes he made the mistake, like on the sack/fumble when he should’ve gotten rid of the ball quickly. But then Rudy Carpenter comes in and completes 6-of-9 passes for 78 yards and a touchdown. Maybe San Diego called off the dogs with a 15-point lead for that final drive, but Carpenter has a feel for the position.

Read more: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4695953/mike-jenkins-feeling-stronger
  2. Angus

Angus Active Member

5,064 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Thanks for the post, WG. If Mike Jenkins is able to play against the Giants, it will be a big help, whether he actually plays or not. Should give everyone confidence that the secondary would be capable even if something caused another CB to falter for whatever reason.

:)
  3. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,705 Messages
    3,925 Likes Received
    I'd like to see him play a little. And he needs to test that shoulder.
  4. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I have no doubt that Jenkins will be ready for the NYG. Carr and Jenks will be the starters with Claiborne and Scandrick backing them up, respectively. Scandrick will also be the primary nickel back in the slot.
  5. starfrombirth

starfrombirth Well-Known Member

3,909 Messages
    461 Likes Received
    Jenkins subconscious: Crap! Dallas secondary looks really good and they don't need me as much as I thought. I've got no leverage :sad:

Jenkins conscious: The shoulder's feeling better everyday. Should be ready by the opener.

:D
  6. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

........couldn't agree more: but I don't think he's close right now, hope I'm wrong obviously. I also agree with Archer: Carpenter has outplayed McGee: by quite a bit: I'm comfy with Romo/Orton and Carp...........ewwwwwwww......................just said "carp"..........brings back bad memories!:rolleyes:
  7. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    I don't think Jenkins will start.

He hasn't taken a snap, hasn't even practiced.

And then there's the whole thing about Claiborne being the #5 overall pick.

I can't see any way that Rob will be comfortable putting the guy out there having not practiced all that much when he has a rookie as good as Claiborne.
  8. Hoofbite

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    This is definitely a factor in play.

Jenkins cannot show the league he's worth the big payday he thinks he has lined up if Carr and Caliborne are starting.

The longer he takes to rehab, the less time he gets to put his ability on display.

He's lucky this team doesn't have the ruthless type of management that would deliberately hurt his free agent value by slotting him at #3.
  9. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,080 Messages
    460 Likes Received
    Actually he was the 6th overall pick...
  10. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,692 Messages
    1,121 Likes Received
    Jenkins isn't starting folks. That dog won't hunt.
  11. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,995 Messages
    1,276 Likes Received
    I'm just happy to start hearing something positive concerning Jenkins and getting onto the field...
  12. tupperware

tupperware A Plastic Container

7,269 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    Agreed. Plus, the sooner Claiborne is out there the better. We need him up to speed and making himself worth that #1 pick and 2nd rounder.
  13. Hoofbite

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    Yeah, yeah.
  14. JakeCamp12

JakeCamp12 Well-Known Member

2,104 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    :lmao2:
  15. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,239 Messages
    2,869 Likes Received
    Interesting about the OT, Adams in there.

I came on here yesterday morning and read all sorts of hate about the kids performance.

I thought he did well in the 2nd quarter.

And then I see it's was mentioned that he was gassed by the 4th quarter. Obviously his game slipped at that point. And this is what many referred too, but it may not be an accurate measurement of the kid's ability.
  16. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,534 Messages
    8,481 Likes Received
    Agreed. I actually went back and looked at the game again when I read how awful he was. He was actually pretty solid until late in the game. I'm stlll intrigued by his long term potential.
  17. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,279 Messages
    572 Likes Received
    Never happen..........
  18. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,239 Messages
    2,869 Likes Received
    It won't happen until:

A. Jenkins has practiced for at least a couple of weeks.

B. That he shows in practice that he's an improvement over either one of the starting corners.
  19. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,279 Messages
    572 Likes Received
    Yessir.

He just doesn't have the physical time-frame to be ready, IMO. I mean he still has scar tissue, has to see the doc AND swallow the playbook.
  20. StarBoyz83

StarBoyz83 Well-Known Member

3,070 Messages
    382 Likes Received
    We need him but like i've said before i expect he starts the season on the pup. If they activate him before week 1 then we'll know that he's close and they expect him to play before week 7.