1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND: Bill Callahan: Cowboys should simplify things for Tony Romo

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Oct 11, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,191 Messages
    7,009 Likes Received
    Oct 11
    3:15
    PM CT
    By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

Callahan said the coaching staff also wants to simplify things before the snap for Romo, who has committed 10 turnovers during the Cowboys’ 2-2 start.

“We talked about just lightening his load and trying to do things that are simple and giving him more peace of mind that he can just come up and call a play and run it,” Callahan said. “That simplification will help all of us.”

“When you get on the road and you play in these types of environments, you’ve really got to be sharp,” Callahan said. “You’ve got to be in tune, and obviously if you have less and you can function a little bit faster, it certainly helps you.”

Callahan is referring to the amount of checks that Romo is required to make at the line of scrimmage. The Cowboys, like a lot of NFL teams, often essentially have two or three plays called and rely on Romo to pick the best one based on pre-snap reads.

Callahan’s belief is that cutting back on those checks “allows the quarterback to function a little bit freer.”

Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowb...-cowboys-should-simplify-things-for-tony-romo
  2. Prossman

Prossman Active Member

946 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    He has been our starter for 6 years, and now its time to simplify things? Not good.
  3. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,866 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    It's more than this, IMO. Callahan wants the offensive coaches to gain more control over the game. They know when they want to run and when they want to pass based on a lot of factors, but Romo currently can change the plays at will.

That essentially takes the offensive coaches out of the game a bit, and they need to be more involved. I also think they want Romo to change the play less often so he can focus on executing what they are calling. I like that (though his helmet receiver will make that harder on the road).

With this offensive line, the team has to be more conservative and must call more running plays (especially those draw plays they ran all the time in 2009). Because of the lack of talent up front, the offensive coaches have to micro-manage the play-calling to make sure it happens.
  4. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,913 Messages
    486 Likes Received
    this...this is why I never really can fault garrett for the plays when romo changes the play alot of the time/picks the play.

But I do wish our plays had better designs and we ran more formations.

Look at rg3 with the skins. They run basic plays with simple reads. They have one of the top scoring offenses. They have alot of plays that can come off the same looks but be a run or pass.
  5. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You mean you can't blame Garrett for not adjusting the offense for Romo to suit his skills, whatever that may be?
  6. ConstantReboot

ConstantReboot Well-Known Member

3,066 Messages
    973 Likes Received
    Well maybe its because Garrett calls the wrong plays for the certain situations that would be counterproductive. I can see why Romo would want to change the plays. Why run it up the middle on every first down? The lack of creativity and the predictability of our offense makes Romo change it up.

Besides, this is Garrett's offense remember. Thus I think most of the blame should go to him.
  7. Sarge

Sarge Happy Holidays Staff Member

21,097 Messages
    1,943 Likes Received
    The offense is in such rough shape - it is borderline in disarray. It's very disheartening. I know.......broken record.....................
  8. Hoov

Hoov Senior Member

5,281 Messages
    580 Likes Received
    Is it too much for Romo to make the pre snap adjustments or is it too much for him to get the rest of the offense to run the right play when he is making the adjustments.
  9. DCBoysfan

DCBoysfan Hardwork and Dedication Zone Supporter

4,530 Messages
    212 Likes Received
    I have never been a fan of the head coach calling his own plays on offense or defense I would like to see Callahan make the calls.
  10. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,540 Messages
    1,802 Likes Received
    I agree that it needs to be simplified...but I think it needs to be done so for the OLine and WRs. Tony seems to have great command of the offense for the most part.
  11. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    According to Bill and Jason, it may be too much for him and he's trying to do too much.
  12. Hoov

Hoov Senior Member

5,281 Messages
    580 Likes Received
    Bill said they diagnosed and corrected the problem with the OLine commiting all the false start penalties. The next game it proved to be true. I have to give respect to that.

Now Bill is saying that simplifying the presnap reads should help improve the offense, I'll have to give him the benefit of doubt and see how it goes this weekend.
  13. blackbull

blackbull Well-Known Member

1,284 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    Best news I heard all week. Only thing that should be changed at the Los is whether it's a pass or a run. No switching pass to a pass. I love it.
  14. blackbull

blackbull Well-Known Member

1,284 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    Adjust to your personnel baby. Be the coach we all want you to be Jason. We aren't Peyton's Colts do stop with the trying to outsmart teams. Stop it please
  15. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,548 Messages
    729 Likes Received
    Simplifying the playcalls is the easiest solution for an offense that is struggling:

1. It helps the players understand their exact assignments without having to think about the other assignments if the playcall is switched at LOS.
    2. Sometimes the "check w/ me" calls to the pass catchers can entail various options and when the QB and pass catcher are not on the same page it can be disastrous.
    3. The second part of that is that the QB can get the play off on time rather than having to direct the whole offense on a "check w/ me" call.

I don't think this change is really for Romo, but I think it directed more for the other 10 guys on the offense.
  16. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,010 Messages
    1,897 Likes Received
    Seems to work fairly well for NO and GB.
  17. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,191 Messages
    7,009 Likes Received
    I think it's more the latter than the former.
  18. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,402 Messages
    247 Likes Received
    I agree with Callahan, keep it is simple!
  19. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I have thought for a while that the confusion that goes on in the seconds before the snap was hurting the offense. Romo has to line up the entire offense before a play can be run. I think much of the miscommunication between Romo and the WRs comes from things being too complicated.
  20. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    :rolleyes: