1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND: Breaking down Anthony Spencer's tag

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Mar 5, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

63,442 Messages
    2,299 Likes Received
    Mar 5
    2:15
    PM CT
    By Todd Archer

IRVING, Texas -- Now that the Cowboys have placed the franchise tag on outside linebacker Anthony Spencer, let’s look at some other aspects of the tag.

** The $8.8 million is guaranteed once Spencer signs the tender. He could choose to hold off on signing, which is what Ken Hamlin did in 2008, and skip the offseason program, organized team activities and minicamps. But he also runs the risk of the Cowboys rescinding the offer at any point, especially if they use a high draft pick in April. By then teams would not have as much salary-cap room as they would entering free agency.

** The Cowboys can still trade Spencer to another team. If a team wants to sign Spencer to an offer sheet, then they would be required to fork over two first-round draft picks. Remember Joey Galloway’s deal with the Cowboys? But the Cowboys could also swing a trade for different (lower) compensation. In 2006, Atlanta traded for New York Jets’ franchise player, John Abraham, in a three-way deal with Denver that cost the Falcons their first-round pick. In 2001, Aeneas Williams was traded from Arizona to St. Louis for second- and fourth-round picks.

Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4690542/breaking-down-anthony-spencers-tag
  2. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

3,986 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    Maybe the Browns REALLY want him:rolleyes:
  3. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Archer just looking for a way out but I will admit, Spencer's value has never been higher then it is now with lack of true 3-4 OLB's in FA and the draft.

Maybe just maybe.......
  4. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,219 Messages
    789 Likes Received
    what puzzles me most was that there seemed to be no push by the Team to do a long term deal. They dragged this out almost to the end. I keep thinking something else is going on
  5. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received

It is weird cause from my understanding no discussions even took place in the last 72-96 hours so why wait so long to tag him?
  6. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

26,654 Messages
    2,791 Likes Received
    I don't know how to explain the last few days, but with Brooks off the market, Spencer's FA went up. Perhaps they were looking to see who got tagged or signed before making any decision thinking those contracts either frame their discussions with Spencer or make him a more valuable commodity to trade if they end up signing someone else.
  7. jswalker1981

jswalker1981 Fact > Your Opinion

2,616 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think they were waiting to see if any potential replacements got tagged, like Cliff Avril.
  8. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

30,108 Messages
    1,278 Likes Received
    Who did... Along with Mathis.

The cupboard is pretty bare.
  9. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

73,896 Messages
    991 Likes Received
    I'm sure they were weighing their options. Dallas did not seem enthused having to put the franchise tag on Spencer, heck they waited until the very end yesterday before placing the tag on him.

With limited options available to them I think they took their median and did what they felt they had to do. At worse Spencer remains this season the best case is a longer term deal that is much more cap friendly.

I think the biggest fear they had was entering the draft with yet another hole to fill

Can't say I'm thrilled with this 8.8 mill it is a lot but I also do not think Spencer is as bad as he is being made out to be.
  10. ddh33

ddh33 Active Member

4,932 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Wonder if something like Kam Wimbley becoming available would have an impact on Spencer?