1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND: Can Bruce Carter be the next Derrick Brooks?

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, May 17, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,706 Messages
    6,474 Likes Received
    May 17
    9:46
    AM CT
    By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

GRAPEVINE, Texas – Linebacker Bruce Carter has heard one name over and over again since the Cowboys hired Monte Kiffin as defensive coordinator.

“Everybody’s just been hitting me with it – Derrick Brooks, Derrick Brooks,” Carter said. "That's a good thing."

Carter blossomed into a sideline-to-sideline force as an inside linebacker in Rob Ryan’s 3-4 scheme last season before missing the final five games due to a dislocated elbow.

Fully healthy again, Carter looks forward to flying around in Kiffin’s 4-3 like Brooks used to do. As soon as he heard Kiffin was coming, Carter started studying film of Brooks’ work from Tampa Bay’s days of playing dominant defense.

Read more: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4708848/can-bruce-carter-be-the-next-derrick-brooks
  2. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,865 Messages
    1,463 Likes Received
    I do love a guy that studies!
  3. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,968 Messages
    9,056 Likes Received
    Yes. As long as he can stay on the field.
  4. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,167 Messages
    2,235 Likes Received
    I'm sorry you all, but Rick Gosselin says no way Bruce Carter can play WIL linebacker....so it must be true. :D
  5. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

9,509 Messages
    1,635 Likes Received

But that's true for every player....even the ones not on the Cowboys....
  6. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,967 Messages
    471 Likes Received
    They can all be Derrick Brooks?
  7. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,133 Messages
    659 Likes Received
    Sky is the limit for Bruce but he has major injury concerns just like Sean lee.
  8. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,853 Messages
    1,019 Likes Received
    Major injury concerns goes for all who sign a contract to play in the NFL. Or is it just those who play for the Cowboys? Yep.
  9. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,167 Messages
    2,235 Likes Received
    Since the ACL in college he's had that one fluke injury to his arm last year. That would have happened to anyone.
  10. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,968 Messages
    9,056 Likes Received
    It's not unreasonable to question his durability. He's got to prove he can stay on the field before anyone could ever compare him to Brooks.

Same with Sean Lee. He'll never be a great player missing so much time.
  11. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,111 Messages
    470 Likes Received
    I'm looking forward to seeing Bruce Carter on the field!
  12. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,866 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Carter and lee can't stay healthy behind this defensive line. The Bucs had Booger McFarland and Warren Sapp on the inside. What they lacked in size they made up for in talent, and they each had good size too.

Ratliff and Hatcher are lighter, older, and more injury prone than Sapp and McFarland. I almost laugh out loud saying all their names in the same sentence the comparison is so off base.

With an average defensive front unable to stop blockers or impede momentum of the offense, when Carter and Lee first make contact it is with bigger players who are moving faster.

Add to this that both LB's are now in a 4-3 defense where they are responsible for covering more ground, increasing the chances they are stretching with awkward technique when they make that first hit.
  13. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,984 Messages
    1,761 Likes Received
    That's an interesting way of saying "He has exited two of the last three seasons with season ending injuries"

;)
  14. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,221 Messages
    7,009 Likes Received
    We need LBs with stronger elbows. I hope that's something we paid a lot of attention to in this last draft.
  15. locked&loaded

locked&loaded its redskin season

2,817 Messages
    63 Likes Received
    hatcher-6'6 , 305
    Rat-6'4 , 303

Booger-6'0 , 300
    sapp-6'2 ,303

Im not saying, im just sayin..
  16. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

6,532 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    Comparing anyone to Brooks is unfair. But i believe Carter has the physical talent to be an excellent WLB in this defense.
  17. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,650 Messages
    573 Likes Received
    Booger was a wide body who could move. Hatcher plays high so I have major concerns with him playing 1. Who ever plays lower wins.