1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND: Chapas Fined $20,000

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Picksix, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,742 Messages
    699 Likes Received
  2. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,475 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    They need a way to fix this.

For some players, a $20K fine is irrelevant, but it's basically everything Chapas made.

And I don't think that was worthy of a big fine anyway.
  3. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,086 Messages
    3,067 Likes Received
    Wait, a punt return led to a 5 yard TD catch?

Am I missing something?
  4. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,467 Messages
    3,779 Likes Received
    They forgot to put the TD on the board for us. We win!!!!:laugh2:
  5. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,602 Messages
    1,017 Likes Received
    bet he wished he stayed on the practice squad!!!
  6. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,141 Messages
    6,926 Likes Received
    I've heard they can make payment arrangements...

But he plans to appeal anyway, so hopefully it'll get reduced.
  7. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

9,809 Messages
    1,819 Likes Received

I noticed that too. We are both missing it.
  8. cowboys2233

cowboys2233 Well-Known Member

4,366 Messages
    755 Likes Received
    Must have been quite a blindside hit!
  9. EPL0c0

EPL0c0 The Funcooker

5,043 Messages
    279 Likes Received
    "IRVING, Texas -- Rookie fullback Shaun Chapas made a little bit more than $22,000 in his first game on the active roster last week at Arizona.

The NFL wants $20,000 of it..."

Read the rest of the article

this is a bit ridiculous... $20k?

Does anybody by chance have a video clip of the hit?
  10. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,626 Messages
    411 Likes Received
    so it was a good play, no penalty, but he is fined his entire game cheque ou presque
  11. The Emperor

The Emperor Marcus Aurelius Maximus

3,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    See, that's what you do if you're Roger Goodell. You pick on rookies and let Super Thug publicly call out the referees for not throwing flags. That's a good thing.
  12. Jimz31

Jimz31 The Sarcastic One

14,242 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    Ridiculous....like the article stated, the guy was in pursuit of Dez....what is he supposed to do? Wait until the guy turns his head and THEN block him?

This is one of the problems when it comes to this so-called commissioner and his levying of fines. He should understand that this IS football and that is how it is played.

My 10 year old son was completely way-layed by a blind side block and I don't blame the kid on the other team for doing it. When I got over to him, all I said was "Got jacked up didn't ya?" He had tears in his eyes, but he said "I think I got him too..." I just replied, "I think you got knocked out..." and just chuckled and helped him up.

Has this guy ever even played the game? Or if he did, was he always getting jacked up and this is his way of taking it out on those guys as a way of narcissistically "getting back" at people like the ones that jacked him up.

I've seen plenty of plays that were just good plays that get a flag and sometimes not, yet get a fine...but not always. Which is a problem with "when" and to "who" he decides to fine. This "defenseless" receiver rule is also BS. Sure, they are ALWAYS defensless when their hands are in the air, but now the brass expected CB's to allow them to catch the ball, tuck it in and THEN they can hit them.

Yes, before you know it, this game will get oh-so close to touch football.

Only ONE way to stop the "hard" hitting....make them use helmets like in the old days. That's the ONLY thing that will slow some of these guys up...if that is what they really want.
  13. JoeCorrado

JoeCorrado Active Member

1,972 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    That is just wrong... 20k?? Isn't this his first offense?
  14. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

10,156 Messages
    1,687 Likes Received
    Giveth with one hand taketh away with the other. Welcome to the real world Shaun........:(
  15. BIGDen

BIGDen Dr. Freakasaurus Zone Supporter

4,437 Messages
    256 Likes Received
    And how much was that jerk who intentionally injured Robinson fined?
  16. Givincer

Givincer Well-Known Member

1,826 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    Whether this was a warranted fine or not, it's a perfect example of why fines should be levied as a percentage of earnings in a given game. Makes no sense that he lost over 90% of what he earned.
  17. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,386 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    Infractions should cost the same for everyone. Not to get political, but players should not be punished for making more money than someone else. Absolutely no reason to make someone pay more or less for doing the same thing.
  18. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Frankly, i find it hard to believe that most of the responses in this thread are talking about HOW MUCH he was fined, and not the fact that its completely ridiculous that he was fined at all.

Forgive me, i can not respond to this article with complete honesty, because i would be banned for what i said in a quick minute.

At the very least.. this should make every fan of the game of football want to march to Goodell's door and kick it down and ring his puny little neck.

You're going to fine a guy 95 percent of his freaking game check because he made a hard, clean football play?!

REALLY?!

It wasn't even a friggin penalty! Just a hard, clean football hit!

..and you fine the guy 20 grand. That's a travesty and a joke and shows how pathetic the game of football is going to become under this absolute clown of a commish.
  19. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,908 Messages
    1,503 Likes Received
    The $20,000 is a set number assigned to blindside hits. It doesn't matter if it is a players first offense. You can argue if this particular hit falls under the definition of a blindside hit on a defenseless player.
  20. Phrozen Phil

Phrozen Phil Active Member

3,893 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    I guess proper etiquette would be to yell "comin' through" just before you arrive. His head turns slightly and you get fined for helmet to helmet contact. Let's just take off the helmets and the pads and see what happens. :rolleyes: