1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND: Cowboys free agents: Mike Jenkins

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jan 30, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,190 Messages
    6,997 Likes Received
    Jan 29
    11:30
    PM CT
    By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

Summary: Jenkins' contract year could not have gone worse. He had reconstructive surgery on his right shoulder after the 2011 season, did almost all of his rehab away from the Cowboys, missed the entire offseason program, saw the Cowboys sign Brandon Carr to a $50 million free-agent deal and draft Morris Claiborne with the sixth overall pick in the draft. Jenkins was not healthy enough to play in the opener, missed three games during the year and started only two. After Orlando Scandrick was lost for the year with a broken hand, Jenkins moved into the slot for the first time in his career. He had only 14 tackles and three pass breakups and did not have an interception.

Why keep him: He has ability and can be a top-shelf cornerback when healthy, and teams can never have enough cornerbacks. After the season he had, he could be a cheap buy.

Why let him go: This isn't about the Cowboys letting him go. This is about Jenkins wanting to go, especially after the drafting of Claiborne. He wants an opportunity to start, which he won't get here.

Read more: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4705221/cowboys-free-agents-mike-jenkins
  2. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I like Mike Jenkins as a player, but I think it's best for both parties he leaves.
  3. hipfake08

hipfake08 Well-Known Member

4,463 Messages
    104 Likes Received
    Best for him to go elsewhere if the money is better.
  4. rash

rash Member

859 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    hope he doesn't stay in the NFC East
  5. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,194 Messages
    2,033 Likes Received
    I'd tender him, force a team to give up picks for him if they want him. If no serious takers, then I'd rework a contract with him and sign him to a three year deal. That would allow us to either get some value for him or sign him to a reasonable deal. If nobody raises their hand to make serious offers, then that should show he and his agent that the market for him is here in Dallas and maybe you work a 3 year deal with an option in year 3. That gives him the chance to show he can play, on the field and, while not ideal, would still give him an opportunity to sign a 3 or 4 year deal for big money if he shows something.
  6. Erik_H

Erik_H Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun. Zone Supporter

2,451 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Since he's an unrestricted FA. we don't have the 'tender' option. All we can do is offer him a contract an see if he accepts or franchise him. There's no way we franchise him and I'm sure that there are other teams out there that know his story and will pay him. My guess is that he gets a pretty big contract this offseason. Below Carr $$ but above Scandrick $$.

There have been whispers for years that Jenkins could not wait to get out of Dallas and go back home to Florida. Guess we'll see if those whispers were correct.
  7. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,904 Messages
    1,406 Likes Received
    Wouldn't doubt if the draws interest from the Giants. They need a CB and Jenkins can play at a high level and will probably be on the cheap.
  8. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,194 Messages
    2,033 Likes Received
    Yep, your right. That won't work.
  9. Kristen82

Kristen82 Benched

965 Messages
    221 Likes Received
    I bet he goes to MIA because they probably regret dumping Vontae Davis and need someone to play opposite Sean Smith.
  10. koolaid

koolaid Drink Me

1,768 Messages
    76 Likes Received
    This team sucked at drafting the last few seasons. Felix Jones, Bobby Carpenter, Mike Jenkins..All first round picks flushed down the toilet
  11. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,540 Messages
    1,802 Likes Received
    Wouldn't surprise me.

I can't wait to get this bum out of here. The guy does not have one redeemable quality. Maybe I can't get over the whole NYG business decision from when he was a rookie, but the guy is as soft as they come.

Good riddance.
  12. JDSTAR

JDSTAR Active Member

218 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    I really do like Jenks, but looking back at his stats, it seems he has been detrimental to the defense. He's only had one season with multiple interceptions, and I just cannot forget the "fake" tackles he has had through the years. The more I think about it, the more I'd like him to go to the Giants. We could run it his way all day.
  13. Joe Realist

Joe Realist No Kool-Aid here!

6,930 Messages
    434 Likes Received
    I think he is Philly bound. It would make alot of sense.
  14. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,778 Messages
    638 Likes Received
    lets hope so. He would be disaster in philly. They will crucify him after one of his alligator arm tackle attempts.
  15. Phrozen Phil

Phrozen Phil Active Member

3,893 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    My bet would be Miami or Cleveland, with the former more likely. Both teams have big time cap room and he could provide depth and/or possibly start.
  16. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    My concern is that Jenkins is another first round pick that will walk without the team getting any return. Felix is another one. They should be the foundation of this team.