1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND: Cowboys' prep work for Giants has started

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Aug 20, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,577 Messages
    3,444 Likes Received
    Aug 20
    12:33
    PM CT
    By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

It actually started in Oxnard, Calif., last week with some scout-team looks on offense and defense and has continued this week.

“Yeah, we’re watching some Giants’ tape,” tight end Jason Witten said. “Obviously a big division game. We know them well. They know us. Everything’s moving that way.”

“As training camp progresses you do start getting (the regulars) more and more reps but it’s not a drastic change,” Garrett said. “We won’t really game plan. We’ll prepare a tick more for this game than we did the previous games, but we’ll take the same preseason mentality where we’re trying to develop our team, we’re trying to get for the regular season.”

More: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4713021/cowboys-prep-work-for-giants-has-started
  2. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,367 Messages
    2,929 Likes Received
    I hate to call that a must win, but it's a must win.
  3. iowast8rs

iowast8rs Active Member

826 Messages
    229 Likes Received
    I agree. We need to start strong to establish the right kind of tone for the season. A 3-4 start would be an awesome record to start with.
  4. pugilist

pugilist dwarecwby311

2,367 Messages
    394 Likes Received
    in Garrett's statement "We'll prepare a tick more for this game.." is he referring to the Bengals game or Giants game?

I sincerely hope that if he's referring to NY, that they (the coaching staff and players) are substantially preparing more for the Giants than some preseason game. At that point it is not about evaluation anymore and only about winning.
  5. coult44

coult44 Well-Known Member

1,385 Messages
    668 Likes Received
    Every Game against the Giants is a must win. I hate them as much as any team I've ever hated!!!
  6. Staubacher

Staubacher Well-Known Member

1,497 Messages
    912 Likes Received
    Huh? Sarcasm?
  7. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,083 Messages
    492 Likes Received
    it allways is, for two reasons, you want to start hot in Sept because thats when teh SB is, and everytime we beat the Giants in this game it never bodes well for them. I dont think they ever won a SB if they lost in Sept. A loss on the first week, we d probably never recover. I hope we win our SB.
  8. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,256 Messages
    638 Likes Received
    Win or lose against the Giants as long as we play hard for 60 minutes, I'll be happy(well, I'll be ok). We do however, need to win the next three and be 3-1 when we meet Denver. Otherwise, it's not going to be good.
  9. 187beatdown

187beatdown Lack of Big Plays

3,465 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    Did you mean 3-4 wins to start the season or a 3-4 record?
  10. iowast8rs

iowast8rs Active Member

826 Messages
    229 Likes Received
    I meant win 3 out of the first 4 games, with a W against the Giants.
  11. Staubacher

Staubacher Well-Known Member

1,497 Messages
    912 Likes Received
    I'm smelling 5-0 for some reason. But it could be my aftershave :)
  12. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,087 Messages
    1,623 Likes Received
    No doubt Giants game is big but week 1 must win? We beat them in the season opener last year did not change the outcome.
    DEA_dad likes this.
  13. nake

nake Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,049 Messages
    761 Likes Received
    I agree it isn't a "must win", but a loss in that game last year would have given us a losing season, so it was in important win last year, and it will be an important game to win this year. All division games are important.
  14. Dhragon

Dhragon Deadly Claws of Death

1,288 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    Not a must win at all, but it would be nice to win it.

Is this first game at AT&T Stadium (formerly Cowboy's Stadium) where we have yet to win against the Giants? Let's hope the change in the name reflects a change in the results this time.
  15. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,087 Messages
    1,623 Likes Received
    No doubt about it. Every game in a 16 game schedule is important and Conferance games are a tie breaker and of course division game are a major tie breaker so it is an important game
  16. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,288 Messages
    1,349 Likes Received
    I like the matchup because Dallas knows everything about the Giants very vanilla offense and defense. (Vanilla doesn't mean bad, just simple. They do it well.)

Player for player, the Cowboys are now better than New York. Now they just have to prove it.
  17. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

6,743 Messages
    1,087 Likes Received
    He is talking about the Bengals game. They will prepare a little more compared with the last game against the Cards. They better be drastically preparing for the Giants game. That game is going to be a battle like normal. Hopefully we can finally beat them in the new stadium!
  18. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

6,263 Messages
    456 Likes Received
    I pretty confident in this game because it seems like we've kind of have the Giants number now. I know we split with them last year but they had no answer for Dez, Jason, etc last year and Tony played outside of the Bears the worst game of his season. I just don't want our defense playing on it's heels against Eli. we seem to get into these shootouts with them especially Cowboys stadium. I think since we've opened up the new stadium they scored 30+ in every game. I'm also more worried about the 2nd game because we can't seem to put back to back wins together most of the time. I just want to start out with some momentum to build on for the rest of the season.
  19. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

3,299 Messages
    603 Likes Received
    I like our chances if Leary, Ratliff, Spencer, Claiborne and Dunbar are back on the field.