1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

ESPND: Cowboys want Mo Claiborne to get stronger

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Feb 21, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,119 Messages
    6,907 Likes Received
    INDIANAPOLIS – A year ago at the NFL scouting combine the Cowboys were in the process of falling in love with cornerback Morris Claiborne.
    A big part of Claiborne’s development in his second year will be adding strength. Wrist surgery performed after the combine last year prevented Claiborne from taking part in a full-fledged offseason program.

“If you watched Morris last year he wasn’t afraid to stick his face in there and go tackle people,” secondary coach Jerome Henderson said. “He has to get stronger. There were times where he struggled getting off receivers because he wasn’t strong enough. I think some of that was due to the fact he couldn’t lift all offseason and build upper body strength … That’s one of the things I’m going to talk to him about when he gets back in. We’ve got to get stronger because now we’re going to ask him to do that even more.”

More: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4705864/cowboys-want-mo-claiborne-to-add-bulk
  2. Titleist

Titleist Well-Known Member

722 Messages
    327 Likes Received
    He did look a little wiry last year now that I think about it. Also got his fair share of stiff arm put downs. I expect with a full offseason he'll be a bit stronger, but I think more importantly he needs to upgrade his tackling technique
  3. kirkjrk

kirkjrk Active Member

905 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    For me he has to improve in all areas. Was not impressed. Hope it was just normal rookie problems.
  4. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,834 Messages
    7,563 Likes Received
    Technically, Mo's a fairly strong player. But a healthy offseason and a full training camp will probably do wonders for him. It's actually pretty impressive how well he played last season given how much important time he missed early on.
  5. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,029 Messages
    1,125 Likes Received
    He was stronger than his competition in college. Pretty much every rookie "needs to get strong", but this is less a problem with Mo than your average rookie.
  6. dogberry

dogberry Well-Known Member

2,436 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    "...when he gets back in."

Lee and Hanna are in. When are players to be "in".
  7. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,525 Messages
    601 Likes Received
    I want Mo to get stronger too
  8. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,553 Messages
    5,480 Likes Received
    Without having to deal with that wrist injury this offseason I expect we should see Mo's full offseason program pay off big in all areas this year.
  9. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,845 Messages
    1,214 Likes Received
    He was recovering from a wrist injury last year, couldn't even lift. So his strength and tackling should take a big jump this next season.
  10. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,530 Messages
    1,796 Likes Received
    Dang, I was hoping they'd tell him to get weaker...
  11. DandyDon1722

DandyDon1722 It's been a good 'un, ain't it?

2,553 Messages
    1,136 Likes Received
    I think your expectations for rookie cornerbacks have to be reeled in. Patrick Peterson struggled his first season and Revis was no island. I don't know what you thought he was going to do but for a first year guy with limited work in the off season I thought he was pretty good.

He's going to be good to great. It's not like he was getting torched last year. Baring injury, he'll be a ten year starter and that is a solid number one pick.
  12. Supercowboy1986

Supercowboy1986 Well-Known Member

1,036 Messages
    171 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  13. dallasfan4lizife

dallasfan4lizife Well-Known Member

2,743 Messages
    331 Likes Received
    mo was weak as hell out there. needs alot more strength to even be considered a pro-bowl corner. his tackling is appalling as well.
  14. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,022 Messages
    2,258 Likes Received
    Mo was good against the pass. Thats the main thing.

We knew he wasn't a very physical guy coming out of college. I think that is something he can get better and the weight training will help.
  15. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,139 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    I have zero concern about Claiborne's progression... He'll be much improved in 2013!
  16. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,746 Messages
    621 Likes Received
    I watched Peterson his rookie year and although he did struggle at times - he also had moments that you just knew he was going to be a major force in time. With Mo I never got that moment where I felt I was watching someone special. Mo will be in new systems so he might excel but I think he needs to gain alot more confidence and get some of that swagger going.
  17. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,139 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    Did you see Revis rookie year? He was nothing special either...
  18. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

39,611 Messages
    1,870 Likes Received
    This. most rookies need to strength train, and just get acclimated to the speed. No news here
  19. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,720 Messages
    1,807 Likes Received
    I wonder if we could trade him for some draft picks?
    :write:
    :eek:hboy:

(stupid cowboy fans)

I cannot wait to watch him this season...the defense will be fine with the ones coming back from injury.

I really hope that the Cowboys spend money on the offense, like they spent for the defense last year.
  20. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

20,431 Messages
    1,113 Likes Received
    ^ This ^

And what theogt said.