1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND: Cowboys will be in RB market

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Risen Star, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,750 Messages
    10,044 Likes Received
    INDIANAPOLIS – The Cowboys are locked in with DeMarco Murray as their No. 1 running back.

Executive vice president Stephen Jones said the team doesn’t have a No. 2 back on the roster.

“In this league I think you’d like to have more than one back,” Jones said. “Obviously we love DeMarco, but you also have to look he’s not been healthy yet in terms of a full season. I think we need a back. We like (Lance) Dunbar and (Phillip) Tanner but I think they’re more third backs, not second backs.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4705859/cowboys-will-be-in-rb-market
  2. LeonDixson

LeonDixson Illegitimi non carborundum

9,745 Messages
    89 Likes Received
    The inference being what most all of us suspected anyway. Felix won't be back.
  3. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,552 Messages
    1,813 Likes Received
    I wonder if by "market" he means FA or draft...or both.

Of course we are looking for a RB
  4. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,234 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    Breaking news
  5. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Not sure what to think of Dunbar yet.

I guess he'll have to suffice as the 3rd back.

If we had the picks/cap room etc., I'd prefer Dunbar was the 4th back.
  6. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,750 Messages
    10,044 Likes Received
    I wouldn't want anymore than 3 RBs on the roster. I'd prefer if Tanner and Dunbar weren't on the team.
  7. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    I think there are some very good prospect in the draft that you can pick up mid rd to later in the draft.
  8. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    That was my polite way of saying that. :D
  9. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Ideally, if we could get a back on the cheap in FA, like Ivory for example, and then use a 4th or 5th rounder on another back who may be more of a complementary type (Sproles type, for example), that would be ideal to me.
  10. nalam

nalam The realist Zone Supporter

1,697 Messages
    143 Likes Received
    Running backs are always a product of OL blocking except a very few like AP, and always help to get younger in this position . Drafting is the better way.

But whoever is the RB , unless we get somewhat decent blocking without mental mistakes , they can't succedd.

We should aim to get some decent guard/center play without brain farts (last season was atrocious, it was not the same guy all the time but collectively they Soucked )
  11. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,552 Messages
    1,813 Likes Received
    Completely agree

Although, I don't know that Ivory will come all that cheap.
  12. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,993 Messages
    7,735 Likes Received
    Dunbar is a pretty nice change of pace from what we've got already. We do need a second RB who is capable of carrying the load, though. And upgrading Dunbar should be on the table.

Tanner was at the bottom of the 53 already last year. The fact that he can't contribute on Teams makes it pretty difficult for him to stick again this season, IMHO.
  13. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Exactly. That's what I would like to do.

Now, in the real world, we may not have the ability to do this all in 1 year given the other more pressing issues. But I'd like to try nevertheless.
  14. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,843 Messages
    728 Likes Received
    My hope is that the Cowboys get lucky and draft RB Lacy in the second round.

Although, I wouldn't mind NO RB Ivory as a FA before the draft and Barner later in the draft.
  15. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Stefphon Jefferson, RB, Nevada. Sleeper pick in the draft.

This is a RKG all the way.
  16. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

3,454 Messages
    171 Likes Received
    I think that New Orleans would be making a mistake letting Ivory get away. He has looked good in the limited number of snaps he received.
  17. Hoods

Hoods Well-Known Member

1,009 Messages
    103 Likes Received
    Stepfan Taylor in the 3rd. Pleeeeeeasse.
  18. KDM256

KDM256 Active Member

405 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    I agree with this guy..... Bell from Michigan State could be another option
  19. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,095 Messages
    4,570 Likes Received
    They will look at RB from the third down with the assumption if someone falls unexpectedly they will look earlier.

Dunbar is penciled in as the change of pace but they should be looking for a RB/returner/real quickes-fast guy that could replace him.
  20. rags747

rags747 Well-Known Member

1,146 Messages
    165 Likes Received
    I'm fine with Dunbar as the 3rd or 4th back, I think he has something to offer. We do need a back picked in round 3 or 4 though, preferably round 4. Lets get some big uglies 1-3.