1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: espnd: DeMarcus Ware is legend in the making

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Nov 29, 2011.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,104 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    IRVING, Texas -- People paint in shades of great when evaluating DeMarcus Ware.

New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick paid Ware what he considered the ultimate compliment earlier this season, comparing him to Hall of Fame outside linebacker Lawrence Taylor. Even that wasn't high enough praise for Rob Ryan, who couldn't think of anyone worthy of comparison to Ware, although the hyperbole-prone Dallas Cowboys defensive coordinator noted that he hadn't seen all the Superman movies.

When a man performs like Ware, it's only natural to try to put him in historical perspective. He's on pace to become the first pass-rusher with a pair of official 20-sack seasons. He can become the first man to claim three NFL sacks titles since the league started recognizing that stat in 1982.

Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story...owboys-linebacker-demarcus-ware-legend-making
  2. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,104 Messages
    90 Likes Received
  3. sago1

sago1 Active Member

7,789 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ware is just a great player but don't believe he gets the recognition other players similar to him (Clay Matthews) get. That's also what I believe will hold him back from getting into the HOF. Therefore it's really important he at least get to 20 sacks this year or at least ahead of Matthews. Breaking Strahan's 22 1/2 sacks would also be awesome but that looks outta reach since Ware stuck at 14. He'd have to go on a tear in the remaining 5 games to get to 23 & 20 isn't guaranteed. 3 sacks by Ware against the Cards would be really great along with a big Cowboy win in this game. Keeping my fingers crossed.
  4. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,795 Messages
    1,669 Likes Received
    He does not get the recognition for 2 reasons: he is a Cowboy and he does not toot his own horn.
  5. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,902 Messages
    1,368 Likes Received
    The people who matter, the coaches and players, give him all the reconition he needs.

He'll get into the Hall of Fame by the time he's done and there is simply zero doubt about that.

By the time he finishes he's going to very likely have over 165 sacks for his career.
  6. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,924 Messages
    478 Likes Received
    The only thing I would like to see is more sacks at critical times in the game. Like the one he had to seal the game when we beat the Saints two years ago.
  7. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ware is the gold standard for which all OLBers will be measured against from now on... Dude is amazing!!!
  8. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,565 Messages
    2,947 Likes Received
    And those two reasons will cement him as the greatest of all time when it's all said and done.

Did his job, and was humble. He'll be a legend for all times.
  9. juck

juck Well-Known Member

9,133 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    Sort of sounds like my Avatar. ;) Maybe not the greatest PF ever but one them.Humble. Did his job.
  10. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

20,442 Messages
    1,123 Likes Received
    You'd better hush your mouth lest you be accused of heresy.

P.S. I agree. :)

P.P.S. I think Ware goes about his game quietly. I still don't put him in LT's class. LT had an uncanny ability to change directions at full speed and basically patent the swipe move. Ware is very fast, but he doesn't change directions as quickly as LT did, which likely reduces the number of sacks he could be getting. Imagine if he could just bull rush then spin move ala Dwight Freeney as the quarterback steps up in the pocket. He would be even more of a monster.
  11. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Lol Dirk is not even close to the greatest ever. Love the guy, but Tim Duncan is the greatest power forward of all time easily.

Anyways Ware isn't a legend in the making he is a legend.
  12. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,795 Messages
    1,669 Likes Received
    rolls eyes
  13. Keystone_Heavy

Keystone_Heavy Member

275 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    You cannot argue with the production. Even though he doesn't get as many sacks, the eye test always told me Dwight Freeny was the best paass rusher in the NFL. Not this year though haha!
  14. juck

juck Well-Known Member

9,133 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    Timmy Palms "Who me?" He was a center. He cant shoot for u know what. Always listed as PF but played the 5 usually. Both are legends. Dallas folk take Dirk for granted its sad.
  15. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    A few in this thread didn't read, or have forgotten, Adam's post comparing the timeliness of Ware's sacks and how he stacks up with the rest of the "elite" pass rushers who come out looking like second class citizens standing in his shadow.
  16. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Its sad how poor many of our fans' perspective is concerning our own players.
  17. tyke1doe

20,442 Messages
    1,123 Likes Received
    I read Adam's post. And while I hold Adam in high regard, he also provided stats supporting erstwhile Cowboys safety Roy Williams' abilities in coverage and was a staunch advocate of RW's play up until the time Dallas got rid of him because he was a liability in coverage.

No one is saying Ware isn't elite. He is. He is a complete OLB. But that doesn't mean he couldn't use a move or two. And saying he doesn't have a spin move like Dwight Freeney isn't saying that Freeney is better than Ware. And saying he isn't on Lawrence Taylor's level is not disrespecting him either.
  18. tyke1doe

20,442 Messages
    1,123 Likes Received
    And as poor is fans who interpret any criticism of our players as being down on them.

Look, we're all Cowboys fans. We all want our players to do well. Just because we note that Witten may not be as fast as Gronkowski or Ware doesn't have a spin move like Freeney doesn't mean we think those players are better. We merely project on the players we like because we want them to do everything.

It's all good. I just don't see why posters get all bent out of shape because we all don't think alike or we may make an observation that might not be shared by all.
  19. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,533 Messages
    1,798 Likes Received
    Don't insult Ware by comparing him to anybody in or anything having to do with the NBA.
  20. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Actually, no, it's not as poor.

Your perspective here is poor....as is anyone else's who would claim what was said earlier in this thread. It's been proven that Ware is as clutch, or MORE clutch than any other pass rusher in the league.

Anyone wishing he would "show up more when it counts"...is simply being unreasonable and rather ignorant.

I don't give a damn if you criticize our players. I do it all of the time.

Just make those criticisms justifiable. That one isn't.