1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND: Don't dismiss Miles Austin's value

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, May 30, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,182 Messages
    5,735 Likes Received
    Hamstring issues and contract aside, receiver still productive for Cowboys

Updated: May 29, 2013, 3:54 PM ET
    By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- The writing is on the wall for Miles Austin, isn't it?

This is Dez Bryant's offense now after a breakout 2012 season. The Cowboys drafted Terrance Williams in the third round in April to be Austin's successor. Austin is making too much money and the Cowboys will have to have cash -- real and the salary-cap kind -- to pay Bryant at some point.

Dig deeper into what Austin did last year when he caught 66 passes for 943 yards and six touchdowns.

He outperformed the leading wide receivers on 16 other teams in catches, yards or touchdowns, including pass-catchers in Arizona (Larry Fitzgerald), Baltimore (Anquan Boldin), Seattle (Sidney Rice), Washington (Josh Morgan) and Pittsburgh (Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown). Aside from Arizona, there is not a poor quarterback throwing to anyone in that bunch.

Despite his ever-present smile and seemingly always-happy disposition, Austin understands the game. He is entering his eighth season. He has seen players cut for all kinds of reasons: poor play, too costly, too old, too much of a pain in the butt.
    And that's just the receivers he has been around.

"I'm very cognizant of what's happening around me, but at the same time, I realize what my job is," Austin said. "My job is to care for my teammates, do my best for them, myself, my family, the coaches and bring it every day. That's what my job is. If you worry about other things that don't necessarily control your circumstance, then you're wasting energy."

Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/9322126/miles-austin-value-dallas-cowboys-goes-numbers
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,281 Messages
    3,020 Likes Received
    I agree. I think too many are dismissing Austin. No doubt health over the last 2 seasons have been an issue but the guy can still play at a high level.

I hope teams focus on Dez and put the double on him I'll still take Miles on a one on one matchup vs anyone in this league.
  3. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,324 Messages
    4,470 Likes Received
    Try selling that song and dance to my fantasy team. I spent a high draft pick on him and was very very disappointed.

:laugh2:
  4. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,247 Messages
    1,578 Likes Received
    His issue is, and has been, health...and some untimely drops. When healty, he's still a major threat.

Wouldn't surprise me at all to see he and Dez both have 1,000 yard seasons...even if it is unlikely with the new weapons added.
  5. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,629 Messages
    6,393 Likes Received
    Interesting that he's adjusting his running style to try to mitigate the hamstring issues.
  6. BlueStar3398

BlueStar3398 Active Member

1,544 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I like this article Todd Archer wrote about Miles Austin. I am a MA fan. I want to see him come back strong this year!
  7. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,080 Messages
    460 Likes Received
    Miles is a 1,000 to 1,200 yard WR who can get you 8 or 9 TDs per season IF he can stay on the field.
  8. Sportsbabe

Sportsbabe Well-Known Member

5,647 Messages
    1,067 Likes Received
    :lmao: I'm feeling you man.
    And let me add ... "tell that to my broken heart."
  9. dfense

dfense Well-Known Member

2,648 Messages
    263 Likes Received
    Probably as disappointed as I was with Dez the previous two seasons.
  10. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

6,403 Messages
    410 Likes Received
    Miles is a good WR and will likely have a very productive 2013 season. That doesn't change the fact that he's a probable salary cap cut after the 2013 season. Williams was drafted to be a starting #2 WR and should be ready to assume that role in 2014.
  11. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,904 Messages
    2,046 Likes Received
    When Miles is right, this offense hums at a much higher gear.

He's got to figure out how to stay healthy and at full speed.
  12. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,866 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Easy to do when you can't count on someone to stay on the field.

You just can't count on Austin, Lee, and Carter, so they're easy to dismiss.
  13. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,281 Messages
    3,020 Likes Received
    It may be easy to do but fact is injury happen that is a fact of football and yes if it continues then they do not help us that much.

As for dimissing them fine that is each person own view, I feel no need to defend mine I know each man you named is very capable what the future may hold who knows?