1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND: Doug Free, Jermey Parnell still splitting time

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, May 21, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,468 Messages
    3,307 Likes Received
    May 21
    5:12
    PM CT

IRVING, Texas -- Something noticeable on the first day of the OTAs on Tuesday was the rotation at right tackle between Doug Free and Jermey Parnell.

Offensive line coach Bill Callahan said Free's mindset is good, despite the fact that Free accepted a 50 percent pay cut in his base salary and he's competing with Parnell.

"He knows that I love him and I want him here and I care about him," Callahan said of Free. "There is no after effect that needs to be said because we we're working here all along. I think there will be really good competition between both tackles."

Speaking about Parnell, Callahan said "I see a lot of growth. I see a lot of maturation relative to his understanding of the game. His techniques are improving. I like to see him continue that progress and be a more consistent player down in and down out."

Read more: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4708956/cowboys-with-a-battle-at-right-tackle
  2. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

6,794 Messages
    157 Likes Received
    RT is our biggest weakness IMHO.
  3. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,681 Messages
    1,132 Likes Received
    I can't imagine a scenario where, if Parnell has shown any improvement, he is not the starter.

Free should be out of Dallas as it is.
  4. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,864 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Our management continues to snicker to themselves quietly.
  5. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,241 Messages
    327 Likes Received
    Just don't want another scenario of them both playing during season. This unit needs some cohesion.
  6. Angus

Angus Active Member

5,064 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Cowboys "fans" have a short memory. The same guy they wish the team had gotten rid of is the same guy that excelled at right tackle several years ago under another assistant coach - but not at once. During the latter part of the last season he began adapting to the different footwork favored by Callahan and played well. There is a good chance he will again become a right tackle worth every penny and more of what he is getting and that the "fans" who wished to see him gone will thank their lucky stars that the Front Office paid no attention to them.

:)
  7. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,193 Messages
    210 Likes Received
    Well at least somebody in the Cowboy Nation has had something to snicker about for the past 15yrs,,, though I suspect the laughter is more a sign of lunacy than mirth.
  8. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,106 Messages
    1,267 Likes Received
    when a guy has stunk up the place for almost two full years those thinking that he will come back are more likely drinking Kool Aid
  9. rpatricc

rpatricc Active Member

699 Messages
    132 Likes Received
    I have been watching the all-22 videos of the last 4-5 games of the season pretty closely, multiple times. Free played alot better than he did early in the year. However, whether it was him adjusting to Callahan's footwork or his fear of losing his job, it is clear to me that Parnell should be given every opportunity to start. He is just as athletic as Free, and importantly, has a much stronger punch and anchor. Unlike Free, who even in these 4 games (and routinely in the earlier 12) got bullrushed into the QB, Parnell rarely, if ever, does. Where Parnell struggles is in adjusting to stunts and run blocking on the second level, but I imagine these will improve with reps (given his overall inexperience in football). During the preseason, I thought that RT was the weak link of this team. But now, I am cautiously optimistic that we will be fine at the position, especially if Parnell wins the job. My big fear (knock on wood) is if Tyron Smith ever gets hurt. Neither Free or Parnell can handle that job. But I suppose you can say that for any starting LT in the league.
  10. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,055 Messages
    1,905 Likes Received
    Tom Landry use to alternate guards every other play. It didn't destroy cohesion.

I think cohesion is a little overrated.

The best 3 game stretch for the RT position came last season when the position was shared.

If that's what it takes to get decent, consistent play out of the position, then I'm all for it.
  11. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,665 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    I don't mind them rotating if it's the best solution, but I'm really hard pressed to think of another team that rotates a tackle every other series.

Clearly, we're not doing this despite one of them being head and shoulders above the other in terms of talent. It's basically a stop gap situation, I suspect RT will be addressed next year via draft.
  12. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,857 Messages
    1,648 Likes Received
    What fan base would be tolerant of multiple years of poor play?
  13. dogberry

dogberry Well-Known Member

2,369 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    I think someone said that Houston experimented with rotating tackles.

Don't have a link.

Appreciate MW's memory of Landry and guards.
  14. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Free played well for a very short time, but it was long enough for defenders to figure out his weaknesses. He was never that great to begin with. He was just an improvement on a wore-out Columbo.
  15. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,840 Messages
    853 Likes Received
    considering the options:
    1. hold out hope based on the final 3 games
    2. panic and jump off a cliff

it is pretty easy to choose option 1.

so i'll wait and see on RT. there is hope even if it is only a 3 game glimmer.

i do believe fans allow the media to fool them into tangents that exist in small windows. the last month our receiving corps and play on defense were all-world awful. Especially the final 2 games where we needed a win to save the season.
  16. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,182 Messages
    1,271 Likes Received
    Of Parnell steps forward as a legit starter, it would be a huge boost.

Free is one helluva backup, even if he wasn't great as a starter.
  17. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,055 Messages
    1,905 Likes Received
    That's a good point.

Free was the 66th rated OT last season out of 80 that were rated.

Free or Parnell, I don't care who, needs to be at least 15 spots higher than that. I mean Michael Oher of Baltimore was the 57th rated OT last season. Marshall Newhouse of GB was the 54th rated (BTW Bryan Bulaga, who manned the other side from Newhouse and played part of the season was the 53rd). Sure you would like both your LT and RT to be ranked 1 & 2, but that's not realistic.

Smith was 40th last season. I'm thinking he cracks the top 20 this year. He was a top-5 in 2011, so it's not unrealistic.

Livings was the 16th ranked guard.

Cook was below average. Bern was way below average.

The point is if the Cowboys had a couple of guys that were in the top 25%, that would make it a tad easier to accept a guy or two who was below average.

I don't think a rookie center is going to be much more than average... Which is acceptable for a rookie.

The question is right guard. You combine a 66th ranked OT with a 54th ranked RG and a below average center... Well you're going to have issues.

This year if you can get a slightly below average RT, and an average center... Boy if you could somehow mix in an average guard and then you combine them with two guys at LT and LG who are above average– And now you're starting to go somewhere.

But to bring this conversation back to the post I quoted, I think who ever isn't the starting RT is going to give the Cowboys one of the better swing-tackles in the NFL. In other words the OT depth isn't bad at all.
  18. StarMan

StarMan Active Member

988 Messages
    46 Likes Received
    Free needs to get back on the juice.;)
  19. jobberone

jobberone Save the Snow Leopard Staff Member

35,289 Messages
    2,714 Likes Received
    I thought Free (and the other two T) played well the last 4 games esp the last 3 and Free gave up no sacks, pressures and only 1 hit in those games. I don't remembering him having that much trouble with the bull rush those games either. I have no idea why he wasn't bull rushed more often the entire year after having so much problems in the TB game but that may be more due to Hampton being so good.

I also am cautiously optimistic about the tackles. People are so down on Free and his game last year wasn't much different than Smith if you look at the numbers. I also agree with you about Parnell who has a better anchor and a little better feet. He just tends to whiff more than Free. When he's engaged properly he just looks better than Free being stronger with better hands.

I don't think the middle is fixed either but I feel a lot better about the competition.